X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Story]Sparty's Jag, before and after

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default [Story]Sparty's Jag, before and after

Wanted to start off this thread by saying thanks to the community for all your help and information. A first time car buyer with little knowledge about cars, maintenance, repairs, I've come a long way since last year.

I was looking for a car around Feb/March of 2010. I've always loved European cars since that was what I was brought up on, VWs, Mercedes. I was looking at picking up a Jetta, or a Passat, maybe an older Mercedes. Was also looking at the Mazda3 or a Golf.

A few weeks of searching, I came across an X-type at an auto auction. I never even knew this car existed prior. Did lots of research...transmission problems early models...a fortune to replace oil pan. I took a gamble on it. I have a knack of finding hidden gems.

The car was post minor accident. Some woman had probably hit it. I knew it would need a bit of work...but for its mileage and and the cost...for made the price of sex on wheels worth it.

99000km
Cost: $3300

Auction pics:
(I've uploaded these to my own website)
http://www.death-jesters.net/sparty/10827800_1X.JPG
http://www.death-jesters.net/sparty/10827800_4X.JPG
http://www.death-jesters.net/sparty/10827800_5X.JPG
http://www.death-jesters.net/sparty/10827800_8X.JPG
http://www.death-jesters.net/sparty/10827800_9X.JPG
http://www.death-jesters.net/sparty/10827800_AX.JPG

After auction fees, broker fees, it came to about $4000, all CAD.
Getting it registered was the absolute worst part. 5 times to the Ministry of Transportation office in 2 days to get paperwork sorted out. I bought it through a broker(since that was the only way you could buy cars at these auctions). But the broker was situtated in the states. So the car auction filled out the registration form incorrectly since the broker was supposed to. LOTS of phone calls, emails, I finally got power of attorney over this car in order to register it. Another $500 in registration fees, emissions test, safety inspection.

She needed a bit of work, had it towed to my house, first thing I did was replace the bad tire...of course some ******* took the spare tire out. It looked in good condition up close. However the bumper was seriously cracked, not from the accident, but from the morons that pulled it off. Front right fender needed to be replaced, lower right control arm also was bent from the accident and needed replacing. And finally the oil pan was cracked right down the middle . Got new control arm, used fender in good great condition(although blue) and JB welded the oil pan. So far the pan has been great(knock on wood). All was under $400.

Had the bumper repaired - excellent work, then matched the bumper, fender, trims, for $700.

Progress so far:
http://www.death-jesters.net/sparty/102_2375.JPG

Had a huge issue with the ABS. When I took off the right wheel to look at damage and replace the control arm, bearing needed to be replaced. Replaced the bearing but installed it backwards. Yes its very easy to get this wrong. So ABS gives errors. Local Mechanic spent 2 days trying to figure out what was wrong with it $$$. Cant remember the name of it, but replaced it on four wheels, plastic sometimes metal piece that breaks easily and allows for smoother ride.

Bought a full set of tires, replaced fog lights, installed Mina grill.

http://www.death-jesters.net/sparty/DSC00927.JPG
Been driving it from May->January, racked up 9000km so far. I cry at the mileage and when I fill up at $1.30 each time, but then I remember how sexy this car is and how many heads it turns. I love driving it every second im inside. She drives smooth, AWD is fun in the snow, and no major complaints.

Current issues and next projects:
Fix that damn passenger side vent from popping up.
Prop shaft needs replacing/lube.
I'm getting a terrible vibration above 50km/h, I'll have to make a video and upload it. Its not the rims, even though two of them are bad.
My seat warmer broke. One morning I was driving to work, the seat warmer got extremely hot where it was burning my *** and stopped working since.

Thanks again Jag friends.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Makes me want to dechrome my jag...

That vibration your getting has to do with your propshaft... I was having the same thing.. tried two different sets of tires and even two different rims and i still had it. When I put it up in the air.. I noticed a bolt was missing from the propshaft... Went to jag and got the bolt and put it in and the vibration is completely gone!

Check into the propshaft... most likely you will find the problem coming from there

Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, will check it out Is the part/fix expensive?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:48 PM

I wouldn't know.. I had Jaguar replace my propshaft back in may of 2010 under warranty and the little bolt I was missing from the propshaft the dealer just gave it to me because I paid them $160 for a multi-point inspection that turned out nothing wrong

edit: Just looked at my files and it looks like they had the propshaft listed for $622.27 but I'm sure they bend you over on labor

Old 01-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

JagXType620, I love what you've don with your car. Did you buy the chrome trim as a package? If so, where did you get it. Also, I love your wheels. What kind are they and where did you get them?

Mark

Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

yes the wheel wha are they.

And nice work on keeping in there, this car is wondeful, i had to go through a nasty expereince with mine but i got a few bugs to sort out and bulletproof and she will be in my life forever... well until i buy a supercharger xjr after med school haha and then ill consider it a bad weather car

Old 01-29-2011, 07:28 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default She looks GREAT

Wow, that looks great. Amazing what a little TLC will do (along with a few trips to the Dept of Motor Vehicles and the local mechanic.)

I love my X - I've had it for 2 years and 20k miles with no issues - They're great cars with a few quirks (like any car) - I think you're going to like it too.

Good luck with her!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Sparty, I love what you have done. Granted, I bet getting the grille done up in black chrome would give the car a nicer look. I did the dechrome job on my BRG X-Type. I get people asking about that all the time. Granted, with them sanding the roads where I live, the front end has gotten a good sand blasting, so, it is looking like it will be about time to repaint the front end again. C'est la vie.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Looking good Sparty. Glad you brought her back from the brink.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by mjlaris
JagXType620, I love what you've don with your car. Did you buy the chrome trim as a package? If so, where did you get it. Also, I love your wheels. What kind are they and where did you get them?

Mark
The chrome came with the car, I don't have the sport package which comes with no chrome.. Also the rims are 19" Niche Euros and I got them from a local rim shop, they had to order them from MHT wheels.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice job Sparty....lookin good

Old 01-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

looks like shes coming along good, just wish i would have seen this 2 weeks ago, because i just threw out a driver seat with heat elements... the leather was ruined from smoke and fire damage.
if you need any parts that are not front end i know a guy in milton with 1 that cought fire, you may be able to take his passenger seat and use the heat elements out of that one.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXType620
The chrome came with the car, I don't have the sport package which comes with no chrome.. Also the rims are 19" Niche Euros and I got them from a local rim shop, they had to order them from MHT wheels.
OP - Great restoration. Looks new.

JagXType620 - Your car looks soooo much better without the chrome B-pillar covers (as seen in your sig). Good move.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what auction did you get it at???
ive been searching for one but they are all either dealer or not damaged cars.
i want to find something like you did.. no frame damage just bolt on parts and go.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Nicely done.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by exexpat
JagXType620 - Your car looks soooo much better without the chrome B-pillar covers (as seen in your sig). Good move.
Thanks! I did have to take off those rims due to the tire size being bigger than I wanted, it ended up catching the front left fender and pulled it down and sliced the tire a good two inches deep. Had to send back the tire to the local rim shop and had a huge inconvenience of him blaming it on me when he sold me bigger tires than I wanted in the first place. He also never replaced the tires to the size I want, he only replaced the damaged tire. So I had to take them off in order not to have a repeat...

Question for you Jeremy, What size tires do you think I should get on these? I really want to keep them, and I originally wanted 225/35/19 instead he gave me 235/35/19.... Would 225/35/19 be better? Or do I even have to go lower on the 35's... They stick out a tad bit and t hats why it caught the side fender... Also with the 235/35/19 I couldn't put more than one person in the back or it rubbed on dead stop acceleration or turns.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagXType620
Question for you Jeremy, What size tires do you think I should get on these? I really want to keep them, and I originally wanted 225/35/19 instead he gave me 235/35/19.... Would 225/35/19 be better? Or do I even have to go lower on the 35's... They stick out a tad bit and t hats why it caught the side fender... Also with the 235/35/19 I couldn't put more than one person in the back or it rubbed on dead stop acceleration or turns.
Sorry for threadjack everyone.

225/35/19 is the right size to achieve factory overall diameter. Rubbing depends on your offset and wheel width. I would recommend getting a fender roller and moderately rolling the lips to at least a 45 degree angle or so above the tire. That will eliminate the possiblity of tire damage as you had before. you'll need to spend the most time on the rears where the fender meets the bumper, but it's an easy 1 hour job. You can even use a wood baseball bat if you cannot locate a proper roller. Just do it on a warm day to heat up your paint (so it can flex). Shouldn't be too hard in O-town.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Some woman had probably hit it"
"I was driving to work, the seat warmer got extremely hot where it was burning my ***"
these two things made me crack up soooo hard!!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by charm11
"Some woman had probably hit it"
"I was driving to work, the seat warmer got extremely hot where it was burning my ***"
these two things made me crack up soooo hard!!
Considering it is a Jaguar and not an XJ, you could probably say "Some woman probably drove it" , too, statistically. I actually believe women are better drivers when it comes to accidents and most stats will support that. When it comes to avoiding wheel curbing though, males seem to have an advantage.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys .
The Fender Vents on this wow x type , any one treid on aXJ8 04? and where can i get them from