X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 with trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 with trans problem

Hey guys, I am a new member, personally looking at an XK8 coupe for myself, and when I mentioned the word Jaguar to a friend of mine, he told me he had one sitting at his shop. I drove by an looked at it, still on the trailer. Its a 2002 X-type, I am unsure of which engine b/c it was locked and I couldn't open the hood. He wasn't there, but told me it was an AWD car that had transmission problems, the owner bought another car and doesn't want it. It is black on black and seems to be taken care of aesthetically. The car is supposed to have run, but he couldn't start it where it sat as of Friday. Assuming we can make it start, how much should I give for a car I may have to put a transmission or transfer case in? Since it was locked, I am also unsure of mileage, I will assume over 100k. I know I can KBB or NADA it, but what I want to know is, considering all the hassle, what is the most any of you guys would give for such a car? Thank you for any replies.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

That's pretty much a blanket statement that it has 'transmission problems'. Without knowing more I certainly wouldn't consider it. The tranny if pooched would run around 3000.00 or more for a used and 9K for a new (at least in Canada).
02 X-Types are the first year, had lots of small issues and in my opinion unless you get a complete history should be avoided in favor of something in an 04 or newer. There are a ton of guys here who own 02 and 03 and love them, and then an almost equal number who would like to drive theirs off a cliff.
The automativc is electronically controlled by a transmission control module which when moisture hits will spit all sorts of gearbox fault codes, so unless the transmission actually blew might be the problem. Also when it gets a fault the transmission goes intop what is called limp mode, basically 4th gear is the only forward gear you have available. Nothing is wrong with the transmission, it just electronically shuts off the ability to access the other gears to avoid more damage.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

There should be a badge on the rear of the trunk that says "2.5" or "3.0" which will tell you which version of the V-6 this particular car has.

If the car needs a new transmission, you will likely pay more than the car is worth to have one put in, unless you DIY with a used one. I paid around $4k to have mine replaced on my 02 with a reman from the factory.

If the issue is simply electronic, you may have a relatively easy fix. IMHO you need to know for sure if the transmission is toast or not before you make your decision.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 AM

Thanks guys, sorry I am short on info about the car, I just didn't investigate it very much. As far as I know, the transmission quit pulling. The girl that owns it went and bought another car. I haven't found a car yet that I can't fix, so I will be doing the work myself. I have seen used units and would consider just getting one of those. My friend is the go-between, so he is going to offer $500 for it and see if she will take that, but I am trying to find out what the maximum I should pay for the car is if she doesn't take that offer.

Thanks for the info so far, I am probably going to drive over there and check the car out further.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:40 PM

I went back over there today and checked the car out. It didn't have a badge on the trunk, but its a 2.5 car, the body and interior are in great shape. The tires look new-ish (goodyears) and I even found a lot of receipts for regular maintenance. The oil looked clean and at the proper level. My friend, whom I trust, said the car cranked and ran fine, and even made a lap around the parking lot, but quit pulling....when he picked it up for the owner. We couldn't get it to start, the battery seems to have run down, and when we put a jumper on it, the starter only clicked.... I laid my hand on the starter and the solenoid is clicking, but nothing spins. If my friend said it ran fine, I believe him. He is going to make a $500 offer to the owner, and if she takes it I will pay him extra for being the inbetween man. I think the car is worth about $1k in the condition its in.