X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 X-Type buying advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:57 AM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
Default '02 X-Type buying advice?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I joined because I wanted some advice regarding my upcoming buying decision. I'm a college student studying car design, I've been driving a Pontiac Vibe, which has been a great car for school purposes, but I need something a little more prestigious for industry events. I've always loved Jaguar and I've had a soft spot for the X-Type, so I decided to sell my Fiat Spider and I'm now looking at a British Racing Green 2002 X-Type. It has 130k miles on it and apparently the heater works fine, but it probably has either a bad CV Joint or right wheel bearing. The owner is asking $2,000. I was looking for advice from you all, do you think this would be a good buying decision? Would it be up to the task of fairly frequent road trips? I'm fairly mechanically inclined and can probably handle most repairs myself. If I keep fresh oil in her and replace the TC fluid often do you guys anticipate many other costly repairs? I know the X-Type has kind of a reputation regarding its reliability, but I'd love to hear from all you owners wether it's true or not. Thanks for your time and advice in advance,
-Brendan

Old 06-09-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome. I will start by saying I also have a '02 x-type in british racing green and love it. For the most part it has been reliable, never left me stranded (or the girlfriend who mostly drives it, even though sometimes I wish it would). I guess the big thing to look for is the rusting on the A-pillars and rockers. Very expensive to repair and most feel its not worth it. If you know about the TC oil change then you probably already know about the weak viscous coupling. No dragging in this car.

Things to check before buying as all these little things can add up quickly and make a $2000 car quite expensive.

1. Is the oil pan leaking? TC has to be removed to change. There are some work arounds if you search the forums.

2. If the seller lets you, pull the coils out at least in the front. Check spark plug well for oil. If it has oil it needs new valve cover gaskets. It can also cause drivability issues.

3. Are the coolant hoses soft? They are not fun to change, especially the heater hoses.

4. Are the all tires wearing evenly? this is for all cars I know, But rear tires can lean in. Thermo has a fix for it. Along with that any clunking or thumping when going over bumps?

5. Listen for drivetrain noises. Can be from, propshaft bearing, TC bearings, Wheel bearing.

6. Do you have a code reader? If not get one. Pull codes if you can. Many codes will not set the MIL. Know what may be hidden.

Still early in the morning with only half a cup of coffee so this is all I can think of at the moment. Im sure others will chime in and add things. Ultimately its your decision on whether or not you feel up to the task to care for the kitty.

The following users liked this post:
micki88 (06-15-2014)