Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 X-Type help requested

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 X-Type help requested

Hello-

I have a 03 X-Type w/193k miles. The engine light came on and the engine light started flashing, and saying cruise not available. Along with the engine light I experienced a drop in milage efficency and although drivable the car runs slugeshly. Codes came back 0170 and 0171. Found alot of input on this Forum (thank you posters!) on these codes and replaced the IMT O rings, break booster cable and PCV Hose. Car still runs sluggish and engine light is still flashing. Took it back in and the only code I got is 0420 which seems to be an issue with the catalytic converter.

New fuel filter 11 months ago

Does anyone have any other suggestions that I should try?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

If it is throwing a code for a catalytic converter I would suspect that there might be an O2 sensor somewhere down the line that might need to be replaced. If your car smells like rotten eggs, then your cats need to be replaced, yet normally the catalytic converter code can also indicate an o2 sensor (especially if the sensor has never been replaced in that many miles.)

By the way, I think you hold the record for the most reported miles on an x-type so far. I think the max awhile ago was 182k or something like that! How much of a headache has the car been over 100k miles?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Default X Type 192K

Thanks for sharing your thougths. AC and water pump went our at about 100k, hood cable snapped at about 160k, and the alternator went out last fall. All and all the car has been great and owes me nothing but I wouldnt mind extending its life for a while longer!

I have seen posts about the 02 sensors and it might be worth trying. From what I've read in the forum the Cats are over 3,000 and I am pretty sure the car isnt worth that much. I've read 100s of posts and the most miles I've seen is 233k but that is the only one I've seen over 200k.

I think I will go have the codes read again, just to see if something changes. Do you think the Cats are causing the sluggishness and the poor gas milage?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

That makes me have confidence in my 02 with 112k miles on it! I was planning on keeping it until it dies, and now I have hope that I can get at least 200k out of it!

A bad o2 sensor would cause bad gas mileage and sluggishness because it is what controls the air/fuel mixture. If the air/fuel mixture is off and running too rich, you will be burning extra fuel for no reason and this will also cause sluggishness because there won't be enough air in the combustion chamber. The cats could cause sluggishness and poor gas mileage, yet the O2 sensor is more prone to be the culprit of this. If I were you, I would swap the O2 sensor because it is an easy fix and new sensor will be under $100. In addition, with that many miles, your O2 sensor will already need to be replaced so it won't hurt anything to replace it now.

Have you ever replaced the spark plugs?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:12 AM

Thanks for your in-site on the sensors and the converter. I am going to try the sensor approach and order one or stop at the dealership. I've done more research and work on this car as it's been a challenge and it's winter and the lakes are frozen! I've used Jagbits.com and they've had what I needed and with a little comparisions seem to be priced reasonably. I think I have seen some posts about using 3rd party or aftermarket 02 sensors. Do you see any issue with the after market product?

The plugs were replaced at about 70k and again at about 170k so they are fairly fresh.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 AM

It looks like the their is an uper and l lower sensor, each around 125.00. Any idea on which one to start with or should I just do both?

I've been looking at some new car options and really don't like anything I am seeing. Thinking about buying an 08 X type since I am turning into an expert!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

The only thing that I have thought about instead of the x type is... well damn... nothing compares :P but I have had my eye on the Cadillac ATS. I would keep your until it see's it's last day though because a simple O2 sensor should not have you thinking that it is about to crap out.

Also, sorry I didn't clarify before hand, but it will be the lower O2 sensor that you will want to replace (smart idea to replace both however.) Where did you get the price of the part from? In my experience, O2 sensors have been less than $100 and I see nothing wrong with using a third party O2 sensor. They are all about the same.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Also, look on Rockauto.com to find the O2 sensor. I did a quick search and found the up stream and downstream for about $60

Old 02-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Default o2 Sensor on X type

Before I bought my X Type I was close to buying a CTS, but liked the price of the X Type better. They do tease us with these new models, don't they.

I hadn't dug deep on pricing but was looking at JagBits.com and they were close to 260 for the pair. I just heard a radio ad for rock auto and will look them up.

Thanks again for the direction, it's been a huge help. I will update after I get them installed.

Later...

Old 02-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope you get sorted out i you get stuck i have a donor car and would be able to strip cats etc off for you but not sure if the shipping cost would be prohibitive but parts wouldnt cost that much its a shame to let the car go

Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 AM

Albackuk- thanks for the offer, I apreciate it. I ordered the sensors from Rockauto and they should be at my house today or tomorrow. Looking forward the challenge of figuring out where these things go and getting them installed. Hopefully they will help the car run better and get my milage back to closer to 23-25mpg. (lots of hwy milage)

Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Looking forward to seeing how this fix works for you!

Old 02-18-2012, 08:42 AM

My parts came in yesterday. I ordered 1 each of the first two items on this link. 2003 JAGUAR X-TYPE Oxygen Sensor

Should I have ordered 2 of each?

What do you guys use for a resource manual? I found RepairSurge Universal Repair Manual Software which looks reasonable but I don't have a computer handy that I can download to. The one near the battery looks easy enough to get to but I am not sure where the other one sits and which is the upstream or downstream. I am assuming that I will be able to determine this when I get the old one off and compare lengths as they are are different lengths. Any thoughts? As a novice am I crazy to do this myself?

Old 03-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Guys- I was able to get both 02 sensors replaced. After a test drive it is still choking a bit at 35-40 mph but it does seem to be running a little better overall. I'll be checking mpg over the next week. I am going to stop at the parts store and check the codes again to see what comes up. I am guessing I will get the cat code again but it's worth checking. I am not apposed to replacing the cats I just don't want to pay the dealer to do them. I'll be reading up on it on the forum.

Keep you posted...

Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Good to hear! Sorry it's still choking up at 35-40. Have you ever changed your fuel filter or run a bottle of fuel system cleaner through your car? That might also do the trick, but it all sorta depends on what codes you get.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Default Information Update

Here is the latest... P0420 Code Catalyst System Effiency below threshold. (Bank 1)

I shared my driving experience with the counter guy at O'Reilly's and he said it was his experience that if a CAT was bad I would get to 35-40 MPH and it would go any faster. I choke a bit in that range but then can drive 65-70mph. I've driven the car 400 plus miles this week. The fuel filter was replaced 1 year ago (about 20k miles) and I have run Sea something-(can't remember the name Seafoam?). I did have a little issue with the O2 sensor that goes in behind the air box as I didn't have anyway way of really tightening it as the heat shield prevents a normal wrench from getting in there and i couldnt use a socket with the wire coming off, so I only tightened it by hand. Please let me know what you think about the CAT not being messed up because it will run well past 40mph. I have someone that can help with the Cat but dont want to spend the $ if it's not the solution.

Thanks again for your insight. Best, Bill