X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 X type or 04 Vaden Plas

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 X type or 04 Vaden Plas

I love my X type but really wanted a XJ Vaden Plas, what is everyone's opinion on moving up or staying put.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

For the little bit extra that it costs to get a same year XJ, I would be upgrading. But, at the same time, some things that you might want to consider:

-do you need AWD?
-you are swapping a weak transfer case for an engine that requires periodic (roughly every 60K miles) timing chain replacements
-you have more power, but it will also hit you in the pocket book because the mileage will be less
-the XJ is a bigger car, so, nicer ride, but harder to park

These are some of the things that you need to consider. I grew up driving full size vans. So, driving a bigger vehicle is nothing to me. But, others might have a different view.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
For the little bit extra that it costs to get a same year XJ, I would be upgrading. But, at the same time, some things that you might want to consider:

-do you need AWD?
-you are swapping a weak transfer case for an engine that requires periodic (roughly every 60K miles) timing chain replacements
-you have more power, but it will also hit you in the pocket book because the mileage will be less
-the XJ is a bigger car, so, nicer ride, but harder to park

These are some of the things that you need to consider. I grew up driving full size vans. So, driving a bigger vehicle is nothing to me. But, others might have a different view.
I'm 6'2 and I sit better driving my X than my wife's Mercedes C250, but comes a problem when it more people in the car. The X's AWD has been the go to car especially since it rains a lot in the south and helped a lot when we was living in places were it snowed. Since I had the car it has not let me down and only been in the shop for minor updates and changes. I did not know the XJ needed constant updates even though the car looks and feel beautiful. Humm seems my baby J might be with me longer but really keep looking at that XJ.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

matt, I only point out questions that are meant to spark consideration. We all have different requirements for what we need a car to for us. Some people like the idea of AWD while others would rather not have it at all. Every vehicle has its pros and cons. I just point out some of the pros and cons of each vehicle. It is sounding like the X-Type is more in line with what you are wanting from a vehicle. Smile, enjoy the baby J and don't look back. If you start looking back, you will kick yourself and wonder "would it have been better if". Don't look back and keep looking out the windshield.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

A VP is nice, but I think if I had the choice....I would upgrade to a newer model year. Just for the simple fact of age and the inevitable deterioration of many parts. I have an '02 X and am starting to see many lil things surfacing, head liner drooped this year. Plastic parts are getting brittle, easy to break things during a minor repair. Struts are starting to hiss etc etc.