X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 x type: scratched winshield (windscreen)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 x type: scratched winshield (windscreen)

On second windshield with similar results: windshield is scratched throughout the wiper blade coverage - radial scratches. It is as if some abrasive material was placed on windshield which was then wiped across the glass. The problem is serious. With sun coming from the direction of travel the scattering of light makes vision very difficult. Had original windshield replaced and now the second has the same problem.

I have suspicions that the automatic wiper feature may be the cause. The wipers start up when there is VERY little water on the windshield and results in the sand/dirt/whatever etching lines in the glass. More water would act like a lubricant and wash the dirt from the surface with no etching.

Tried buffing the glass with no results.

Anyone have similar experience?

Stephen

Old 05-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Stephen, you may want to try using a product called "3M Perfect It II". This is a liquid rubbing compound and does wonders on glass. What you will end up doing is getting this product and 0000 steel wool. You will pour some of the Perfect It on the glass and then polish the glass with the steel wool. I know what you are thinking, steel wool is going to scratch the glass. It doesn't. You can try it on a corner of the windshield just to prove it won't scratch. But, from there, you can buff the whole windshield and get rid of all the scratches. I will admit, it will take a little bit of time, but it will save from having to put a new windshield into the car.