X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 xtype...gearbox, clutch, TC???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 xtype...gearbox, clutch, TC???

about 3 weeks ago my car left me stranded. its a 04 xtype 5speed. i was pulling out of the store and before i could get in 2nd gear it lost all gears. it didnt make a noise at all. I had to pull the car out of the way and it moved fine for a little while then the left rear wheel started to move the opposite way. I had the car towed to my dads as I enjoy to work on vehicles and always wanted to remove the gear box of a motor thats mounted sideways. Im just very curious as to what the possabilities are to my symptoms. It feels like its catching the gear and when you let up on the clutch it starts a awful chattering noise, sounds like a baseball in tire spokes and increases with engine speed. even in neutral it souds fine with the clutch down but when let up it chatters but not as bad.the car doesnt even act like it wants to move.Im not familiar withthis tranny but my first thought was a fork is stuck and doesnt know where it is. Not sure if a failure with any clutchparts would cause this, also have considered the transfer case. I know basically no one works on there cars anymore but i do and enjoy it. Im just gonna need someone to hold my hand on this one if thats possable. Im 3,000 miles past the factory warranty also, thathad alot to do with it also

Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: 04 xtype...gearbox, clutch, TC???

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  6.4 KB

Hey Jason, we got some great Techs on board who may be able to advise you on this. Hopefully either FJT, Jag genius or ibjags will see this and respond to you.

Good luck mate

Jim

Old 03-06-2008, 04:32 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

So does the car actually move or is it totally stuck? What do you mean the left rear wheel moved opposite way?
Does it chatter on initial release of the clutch and then its gone and car is normal? Or does it chatter and not let up until you put clutch back in?

Old 03-06-2008, 05:29 PM

the car does not move when you push it. the wheel was actually spinning in reverse when it was being pullled. when the clutch is down it goes away and when let up you hear the chatter, and it will increase when reved. the car doesnt even act like it wants to move in any gear, they all make noise but some worse than others. clutch pressure feels normal also

Old 03-06-2008, 06:17 PM

When the car is in neutral with the engine off, does it roll normally or is that when you say the wheel was moving opposite? Sorry, but I am just trying to get whole picture.
Clutch pressure feeling normal doesnt mean much. How many miles are on the car?
Does it feel as though the gears are engaging? Just no movement when you release clutch pedal?
If the rear wheel was moving that way, I would remove the propshaft and see if car moves then. It will basically just be front wheel drive at that point although you do not want to drive around like that. Just enough to feel if car is moving differently than before.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first off how was the car towed?
Flat bed
Frt of car lifted and rear wheels on the ground?
And how many miles did you tow vehicle and what speeds do you think the car was being towed
if it was towed with front of car up and rear wheels on ground?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont mean to get away from the possible clutch issue
just curious as to how it was towed first

Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 PM

we moved it atfirst by just pulling it with my truck, I had the car running and in neutral so i would have power brakes and steering. We move the car about 1/4 mile if that so I could get it of the road.everything was fine till we werejust aboutdone and all of sudden the tire was spinning in reverse. pressing the clutch didnt make a bit of difference. From there the car was dragged on the flatbed and dropped in my fathers barn for me to enjoy was never towed with just the rear on the ground. and no the car doesnt roll engine off or on

car has 53,000

Old 03-07-2008, 04:54 PM

car has 53k w/ 2.5
Im 27 in elmira ny and a machinist. I like to play and thats about all have a 89 conquest TSi thats fairly modded, 95 f150 351w with some goodies also, 2003 cr250 couple other toys. Ive never done anything to a awd car thats kinda why i want to. It might take a little longer than a shop would but its fine with me I just wanna do it myself. the car was never beat on since ive owned it I leave that for the non daily driverstransmissions do break its just one of those things.Im not even sure it is the tranny. seems like it but i would figure it would get stuck in a gear or only let you use some, thats just the way its happened to me in the past with other vehicles

Old 03-07-2008, 06:12 PM

Unbolt the propshaft, like I said above and see if it moves. You only need to unbolt it at the transfer box and let it hang. Just see if it then moves.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:57 AM

ok im gonna go up in a couple minutes.... Ill let you know how i make out, thanks

Old 03-08-2008, 11:30 AM

Reason I sat to do this b the way is to help figure out which end of the car to start at. Also, you could try jacking up all 4 corners and see if all wheels turn with no load on them. Be safe and use jack stands if you do this. Make sure the wheels are off the ground.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 AM

well I couldnt do much yesterday. I got up to my dads barn and no power...It was out all night due to all the ice we had the past 2 days. Ill try to get up today but have so many things to do. Ill let you know how i make out in the next day or so. thanks for pointing me in the right direction on trying to narrow things down. I think your the only person ive talked to that hasnt said take it to the dealer. I enjoy working and learning new things, and the nearest dealer is 3 hours away. thanks again and ill be back

Jason_L

Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 AM

ok ive been away fora little while. I finally moved the car to the back of the barn so I have heat to work, the car rolled fine, all tires spun freely. I also got it in the air and there is no change when there is no load, same noises and no go. for kicks i popped loose the drain on the tranny(I assume its the drain plug, allen keyed on the lowest spot?) no fluid came out[]this is the drain plug, correct? and I would guess the two bolts/plugs right aboveare for fill? If I get a small allen wrech and put in the drain hole there seems to be fluid below the hole but to me seems like there should be more. Im starting to think I ran gears dry and did damage, Our 5 speeds dont use the fluid for hydraulic purposes,correct? Only autos? Im gonna remove the propshaft this afternoon and see what happens

thanks guys

Old 03-23-2008, 09:55 AM

Dont take bolts out ***** nilly from the gearbox. You can do damage to seals if you pull out the wrong ones.
Let us know what happens with propshaft unbolted.