Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 X-type leaking oil from transfer case with only 41K miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 07 X-type leaking oil from transfer case with only 41K miles

Hi there,
I just got my car back and they said it was leaking oil from the transfer case. They said to "glue" it, its gonna cost me 350$. Is that normal for a car with only 41K on it? Is that price fair? What casues this? or any other info on the topic.
Thanks!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

XKR, based on what you are describing, you have a common issue with the X-Type transfer case. If you have even a reasonable amount of mechanical ability, you can fix this yourself for around $5 and about 2 hours of your time. What the problem is is that there is a seal on the inside of the flange for the rear driveshaft. This will tend to leak and throw gear lube all over under the car. What you need to do is to unbolt the flange for the rear driveshaft, drop the shaft out of the way and then undo a nut that holds the flange in place. I believe there is also a large washer in there too which needs to be pulled out. You then clean up inside of the flange to get the old lube out of there and then you put some black RTV on the face of the washer (side opposite where the nut will set) and then you tighten the nut back down. Then you put the driveshaft back up and tighten it down. Not really difficult, just takes a litlte bit of time (hence the cost you are seeing).

If you have any other questions about this, let me know. I will see what I can find out for you.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x type transfer case.. how many qrt do u need to fill in? what about the back differ? how many qrt? how do u drain? how to drain on transmission fluid? thanks alot

Old 07-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Tub, first off, welcome to the forums. You will find a lot of useful information here. We also have a very large FAQ section that can answer a lot of the common questions. But, we do ask that you make a posting in the "New Member" section to tell us a little bit about yourself (we are a friendly bunch as you will find out). This will help you learn who the movers and shakers are here.

As for the transfer case, just a warning, draining the transfer case is easy, filling it is where you are going to run into issues. The fill plug is located between the engine and the transfer case in a way that it can't be accessed without dropping the transfer case out of the car (about 10 hours of wrenching to drop and put back in). So, you need to find an alternate way of filling the case. We have 3 different ways to. But, the transfer case requires about 500ml of 75W-140 full synthetic gear lube for a fluid change. The rear differential requires 1.5 quarts of lube (of note, there is no drain plug back there, so, you will need to suction out the old lube and then put in the new).

As for the tranny, there is a drain and fill plug. You can anticipate getting out around 6-7 quarts of fluid. But, getting the fluid back in can be tricky as you are needing to shift gears as you are adding fluid to make sure all the ports are filled. This can cause the fluid level to rise and fall. Since you are filling right up to the bottom of the fill hole, you can imagine the mess that this can create. So, coming up with an elbow that can be put into the fill hole will be a helpful thing when doing this. I'm sure one of the other members will be able to give you a bit more info on this.

The following users liked this post:
tubposhadow (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid

i brought my car at 60,000 mileages.. now 112,000 mileage.. I had not change any Trans fluid yet and don't know if they change or not.. but i heard alot auto shop owner said don't change the Trans fluid will damaged your Trans. I dont know what to do for my X type.