X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st post, 2004 X owner...rim deal question and pics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1st post, 2004 X owner...rim deal question and pics.

Former BMW owner several times over, current Porsche 996 owner and 2004 Jag 3.0 owner. Found a great deal actually from the local Jaguar dealer for a set of Melbourne BBS rims and tires. I bought them for a total of $1000 and that is installed with tires, mounted and balanced. Being a euro car fan, I know BBS makes some great stuff. I am keeping the stock 17" rims and putting some free snow tires on them for the winter. What do you guys think about the deal I got on the 18" BBS Melbourne rims and do you guys have any pics of them installed?

Current pic of the Jag with clear reflectors and stock rims. Besides the reflectors, grill mesh upgrade and spoiler install....all is stock.

Again, the pics of rims you see will be mounted with snow tires...the rims came with major curb scrapes on them so I think a grand with the new 18" upgrade wheels and tires is not a bad deal. Car has about 108K miles on it right now. Also, feels kinda rough on some pot holes..I know it will increase with the 19" rims.

Just a bonus pic of my 2000 996..........glad to be a part of the forum...been lurking a while.

Attached Thumbnails 1st post, 2004 X owner...rim deal question and pics.-melbournejagrims_zps43946a97.jpg   1st post, 2004 X owner...rim deal question and pics.-xtype_zps49c60060.jpg   1st post, 2004 X owner...rim deal question and pics.-photo1_zpsdc9e1808.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 07:08 AM

EDIT: Rims are bought but I am still waiting for the install on Weds. Just curious on pics. Especially with same color of car I have.

Right now this is my winter car....I traded a Dodge Durango R/T for it that needed some work. Love the car so far. Seats are just as comfortable as the old 88 XJ I tested many years ago.

Guys with snow tires.....how are these things running for you in the snow? Traded in my Durango since most of my friends have front wheel drive cars out here and do fine in the Colorado snow...unless it is a big dump with deep snow.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

carc, welcome to the Forums. As you have probably found out, we are a wealth of knowledge here. But, we do ask something though from you. Please stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. We are a friendly bunch and we like to get to know one another. This also gives you a chance to meet the movers and shakers around here too.

As for the wheel purchase, that is a pretty good deal. The real question is what size tire you are putting on those rims? That will tell us if you are going to have fitment issues or not. I am running 235/45R17's on my car right now and I get a very minor rub on the back of the wheel well using the stock rims. I think the rims will look good on the car. So, enjoy.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
carc, welcome to the Forums. As you have probably found out, we are a wealth of knowledge here. But, we do ask something though from you. Please stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. We are a friendly bunch and we like to get to know one another. This also gives you a chance to meet the movers and shakers around here too.

As for the wheel purchase, that is a pretty good deal. The real question is what size tire you are putting on those rims? That will tell us if you are going to have fitment issues or not. I am running 235/45R17's on my car right now and I get a very minor rub on the back of the wheel well using the stock rims. I think the rims will look good on the car. So, enjoy.
For the stock rims....will be 235/47/17 snow tires winter use.

With the BBS 18 inch....will be 225/45/18

Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 AM

Currently I am running 225/45/17 on the stock rims. I think using them for snow rims with 235/45/17 should be fine. Will give them a little more width...stick on the snow. Plus...I am getting them free so can't complain.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

carcster, I would try the tires before getting into the winter. I think you may find that the winter tires are going to lead to rubbing issues. Atleast my experience with winter tires is they tend to be a bit oversized and I know the all-season tires I have just barely rub. Give them a try, but at the same time, do not be surprised if they rub some. In my case, the tires touch just enough that it creates what I would call a water running down the firewall sound. it sounds like a lot of water is running through the front of the car. it isn't a true tire rubbing sound like most people think of. But, I can see the rubbing on the plastic liner from where the tire is touching.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:46 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Why is the rear end of the Jaguar so high?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I don't think it actually is, it just looks like it. There was some discussion some time ago on how the X-Type is designed to look like the rear is a bit higher up than the front, and it's all in the styling and not the suspension.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (09-18-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
I don't think it actually is, it just looks like it. There was some discussion some time ago on how the X-Type is designed to look like the rear is a bit higher up than the front, and it's all in the styling and not the suspension.

Yea, the suspension is fine, all the wheel well gap is equal front and rear....just looks like that, same with all the other X-Types I have seen out here. It does sit lower than most of the BMW Xi AWD we have out here that look a little truck like.

With the slight difference from the 225-235....I think they will be OK snow tires and not give me too much of an issue rubbing. I would think most rubbing would be from a taller sidewall. The 45 are the same side profile. Granted, I like the car but it is just a winter/bad weather driver for me. Cheap set of OEM BBS rims with new tires for a grand, and then using the beat up stock rims with free snow tires sounds good to me. Will take some pics this Weds when I have the BBS rims on it.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:29 PM

Well, got the BBS rims on today and it makes a big difference.

Few things I need to fix though are one of the tires has a bubble in the sidewall....needs to be replaced. My sway bar bushings are worn and the trans axle seal seems to be leaking a little. I think that might be the most expensive one. Car has around 112K miles on it so expected wear. Right now wondering to put priority on getting the trans axle seal replaced or the sway bar bushings.

Attached Thumbnails 1st post, 2004 X owner...rim deal question and pics.-sidemelbournerims_zps64e872b7.jpg  

Last edited by carcster; 09-18-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Good work and welcome to the forum Carcster,

I had the near same model for my second X Type (I still miss her!) and it looks great to me, mucho congrats to your style and I believe you have the platinum silver colouring. It looks great with the tinted screen and the chrome, that look is hard to beat, especially on a Jag!

The wheels are a great choice but I would back what Thermo says, just be careful

Have good fun on the forum and well done for sharing your pride and joy, I look forward to you getting to know the site and hope your baby pleases?

Cheers, Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 09-25-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Looks great! Nice pick-up on the BBS wheels.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 PM

I am very happy with the car so far. Only have about a month left till I have to put the snow tires and rims on it. Look forward to seeing how it does in the snow. First thing I had to do was get rid of the side markers, made a big difference. The rims really change the look of the car also. Not sure if I will change the stereo out in the future, right now seems like it works pretty good for me. Other than that, not much more to do besides maintain it and keep it running. Has about 115K miles on it. Going to find a good independent mechanic out here....the Jaguar dealer sucks here and would not touch it with a ten foot pole.

Also, the 18" BBS Melbourne rims make the car sit a little better, at least I think so.

Last edited by carcster; 09-24-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Carcster,

It would be handy to detail your model and type of jag so other members can know what you are talking about on the posts?

Also, many guys like Thermo spend a lot of time advising and giving support, you can show appreciation (or not!) by checking the thanks button at the bottom right hand of the posts on these threads and I personally like to say thanks as a gesture!

Lastly enjoy your X Type, she's Lovely!!! The Porsche looks pretty good too!!