X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation

Please note that this thread was originally posted on Login in the Hi-Fi section because I'm italian from Milan.
I hope my experience can be useful for other Jaguar lovers so I've translated using Google transalation (that is better than my english).
I hope that Google translation can be enough clear even is sometimes some explanations can be hard to understand.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've completed replacing the standard radio + CD on X-type 2006 with a Chinese 2 DIN Android. Overall I'm very pleased with the result. I lost a lot of time but it was worth it. I will gradually enter the phases with the photographs and job description. Thanks to the various postings of this forum that clarified me several points (steering wheel etc).

The radio is this:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/7-doppio-2DIN...-DVB-T-DVR-OBD -DAB / 182607505442? SsPageName = STRK% 3AMEBIDX% 3AIT & _trksid = p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have ordered the accessories for the mask, wiring, steering wheel kit and bay at
http://www.ebay.it /itm/DFPK-14-01-Jaguar-X-Type-02-Car-Stereo-Double-Din-Fascia-ISO-Steering-Stalk-Kit/251403078381?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

The radio is a 7 inch 2 DIN Android with GPS, navigator, radio 36 FM stations, good amplifier, rear camera input with automatic switching when you fit the rear, programmable steering wheel controls, link to the smartphone (see and play what is on the phone screen, handsfree bluetooth and phone book access, audio and video files playback, various USB ports, 3G SIM connector, OBDII Torque, video input (which I could not run for now ) and various other things I will say later.
The radio costs € 186 and comes from Hong Kong in a few days.
The mask kit and wiring kit comes from UK, this also in a few days but costs about € 100 including shipment. In my opinion, it is expensive, compared to the radio that costs less than double but it contains a technology of all respect.
The trapezoidal mask, replacing Jaguar's full radio, is discreetly similar to the top finish from the air conditioner panel. It is not the same gray but the difference is not very relevant, acceptable.
Along with the trapezoidal mask is provided a visual frame for inserting the radio. In my case the radio did not come in for a few m / me I had to cautiously wrap the inside of the frame to insert the radio. Maybe my 2 DIN was not very respectful of the standard, but with patience I succeeded.
Then I had to paste the frame inside the trapezoidal mask because it was all dancing.
The real problem I encountered in fixing the radio. Although the kit contains a perforated sheet metal enclosure, a radio and a set of hardware, I have not been able to properly fix the radio to the original chassis of the Jaguar so I had to put blades, screws, and rubber keep the radio in place. A real blow that made me lose many hours. This is what has given me more trouble, it seems trivial but that's right.

The car radio, like all the Chinese technological material, is totally under-documented.
Together with the radio, no explanation is given unless a very banal reproduction of radio screens in the various functions. It is a constant of Chinese products, full of technology but completely devoid of manuals both in use and installation.
The only reference to connections and wiring is a label placed on the upper body of the radio; nothing more but reading it and re-reading it is something different:

Another very useful image is found in the ebay insertion in which, in addition to the various photographs of features (navigator, radio, rear camera, OBDII Torque etc.) there is also a 'rear image with various connectors. It helped me to understand better how to connect the radio.

To be continued with next posts in next days.

Attached Thumbnails 2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-20171015_154725-small.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-20171015_123903-small.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-etichetta-vista-retro-e-connettori.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-vista-retro-e-wiring-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by essepi; 11-22-2017 at 06:28 AM. Reason: No picture uploaded, I have to discover why.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:58 AM
Default Continue from previous post

.......... continue ...............

The wiring provided with the radio to the connector A at the back, the one with many RCA plugs for the speakers, serves and should not be used. Instead, the wiring harness with the Bassjunkies kit perfectly fits the rear of the radio (2 ISO connectors) with the original Jaguar connector that went to the standard car radio. This wiring (21 to 28 pins and 29 to 36 pins) perfectly connects all of the speakers, battery +, ignition key, and lighting of the three radio buttons when the car lights are turned on. In two words, PERFECT CABIN

I was afraid of making a strike, compromising the British profile of my beloved Jaguar and encountering insurmountable difficulties in connection / compatibility between cabling, car circuitry and chinese. Instead, in the aspect of the aesthetic result I do not think I have compromised anything and in the technical aspect, even though I've lost a lot of time to figure out how to link the various functions and connections, it has proved to be much easier and more functional than I did not expect it.
In the coming days I will continue with the explanations since the operation of the steering wheel controls is the least intuitive but, now that I did it, basically easy.
First of all, I tried to figure out how X-Type steering wheel controls work and, looking at the wiring diagram and making measurements with the tester, I understand that this is a series of resistors connected to the various buttons (see diagram) therefore, by pressing a button (eg increasing the volume) a resistance (eg 550 ohms) between ground and pin 18 of the original car radio is connected; The same for other buttons with different resistance values. In practice pin 18 generates a variable voltage according to the key on the steering wheel pressed.
At first I feared that this operation would not be compatible with that of the new 2-Din that had two inputs called SWC1 and SWC2. But in the Bassjunkies kit there was an electronic converter for the steering wheel controls, basically a box with inside an electronic circuitry so I made an act of faith. The box, if you look at the kit's picture, is directly connected to the car connector connector's wiring harness to the two DIN connector on the radio and looking even better, the box's input, in addition to ground and battery +, receives its own pin 18 of the Jaguar connector. Without a doubt, I connected the wiring wire SWC1 from the radio to the keyless KEY1 of the box, as well as SWC2 to KEY2 and Ground to ground, and miraculously, the system worked perfectly in the sense that pressing the various buttons at the wheel commanded the functions of the radio.
Specifically, there is a screen in the radio settings that allows you to freely assign a car radio function to the single button.
Press a button and choose the most consonant item list. Eg Volume + Volume is associated with the + Volume of the car radio and so on. What's also interesting is that you can program a double function at the single button depending on whether you press a short or long click, so the MUTE short can originate the MUTE of the car radio but if the click is long it may be a radio shutting down or a return to the Home screen on the display or other.
I attach the wiring pictures and the keypad configuration screen to the steering wheel.

Attached Thumbnails 2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-connettore-originale-e-cavo-verso-la-radio.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-convertitore-segnale-comandi-volante.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-convertitore-segnali-comandi-al-volante-e-cablaggi.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-schema-comandi-al-volante.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-impostazione-comandi-al-volante.jpg  

Old 11-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Default Continue from previous post

I also found that the watch does not hold the clock and turn off the car then start from scratch. For now I did not waste time. Also the boot is very slow, 45 seconds, obviously it has to load all the sw. The annoyance is that if you turn off for a moment, or you have to restart the engine, the radio must reboot the entire 45-second boot (there's also a youtube video of a friend complaining about it).
I would like to change the boot image, now only the ERISIN text appears, which says nothing to me. I would like to put the jaguar but I need the Factory Settings password to edit, I wrote to ERISIN and let's see if they communicate it to me.

The installation of the GPS was very easy, the attached antenna is a chocolatone I put in the left corner of the windshield (photo). Pulling the cable is not difficult, just open a plastic panel under the steering wheel and access the space under the dashboard, thread the cable from the connector side and turn it over to the radio compartment.
The same for the external microphone (supplied); the radio has the built-in microphone on the front but I had already connected the external one (photo) by switching the cable inside to the left cover (pulling out well).

Tell me a precaution to take, at least in the case of my ELISIN ES5092Y.
All maps contain the 8Gb SD micro card inserted in the front panel that is called GPS Manager in the File Manager. For my mistake I ****ed the SD and totally lost the maps so much that my iGO did not work anymore. Luckily the ebay seller told me the link from which I downloaded the maps (apparently calling TomTom), put them on a 32 Gb SD card and everything works fine (some attempt to figure out how to copy the various folders on the card ). So be careful with the SD card (I always talk about my Android ELISIN).
What's strange is that if I insert a USB stick into a USB port (there are 4) I do not see it from the radio file manager but it does scan for images and, I think, MP3s. I was hoping to be able to easily use the contents of an external USB stick.

For the rear camera I did the same thing as roberto 49. I already had a 8-led retro-camera with two connectors, a RCA for the signal, and a pin for + and -. I connected the latter to the ground and to the right reverse, in this way the room is fed when the back is inserted. Then I had a 6 meter extension with coaxial RCA video and red thread for +. I connected the RCA to the RCA of the camera and the red wire to the rear light +.
On the radio side this cable I connected RCA to the RCA of the wiring bearing the indication of the rear camera (label R CAMERA) and the red wire of the extension I connected it to the wire with the indicated REVERSE (see photo). In this way, by engaging the reverse, the rear camera automatically turns on, illuminating the area with the 8 LEDs, and the screen turns on with the rear view (photo). I would have liked a camera with a wider angle of view, this seems to be on 140 ° but I'm 170 °. I'll think about it. In the photo of the back panel you see that there are two cameras, the left one goes to the DVR recorder in the mirror. Records continuously from front camera and rear camera. Let me know, too, that the mounting of the left retro camera is gross, I know, I have to find a system to mask it for example with a slide with a ring because it is not up to the brand now. I will think, but it is not easy to find a special thing I'm forced to hold that camera because it has a special and non-replaceable connector (otherwise I would put two equal ones like the right one that looks better).

I did not connect the BRAKE cable (handbrake), I do not care about the video block when driving, but I have to make sure if I do not connect it creates some problems.
Roberto49 you are right about the camera with this clarification.
What you see on the right is the back attached to the car radio. In fact it is equipped with led and the mounting is just a cup cutter attached to the camera kit.
The left hand is the one of the DVR in the rearview mirror and unfortunately it is very conditioned in mounting. It does not have the elastic straps of the other but a support with screws. For now it's what I did but, as I said, I want to improve the assembly because it actually makes a little crap. But it is very low and it takes a curious to notice it. I promise I will improve.
For the logo during the boot I want to put this in the photo but I need the password to enter the factory settings. I've tried several codes (123456, 0000, 1699, 126, 1111 and others) but for now nothing to do. I sent an email to Erisin's support, let's see if they answer.

Attached Thumbnails 2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-antenna-gps.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-microfono-esterno.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-navigatore.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-collegamento-telecamera-posteriore.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-schermata-retromarcia.jpg  

2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-telecamera-posteriore.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-logo-x-radio.jpg  
Old 11-28-2017, 08:46 AM

I sent an email to Hong Kong's salesman and answered promptly, kindly. The password is 3368 (actually I had found it mentioned on several sites together with 123456, 7890, 0000, 3388, 126 etc. but I had not tried it yet).
With 3368 I entered the Factory Settings where, amongst the various things, you can change the boot logo. There is a strip of logos of many brands, including Jaguar. I set it right now and instead of the trivial ERISIN I see the jaguar (photo). I do not like very much, I tried uploading my JPEG or BMP format but it always gives me an error. I will try to understand better, I will try with other formats and other resolutions (TIFF, GIF, etc.) if I can not keep that provided by the home that is satisfactory.
Then I tried the OBD adapter with the Torque already on the radio and it works as a use (in wi-fi because my OBD does not have bluetooth).
The video player part is also very nice and fluid, with songs downloaded from Youtube is fabulous.
For the clock, however, I am always in the dance, as roberto said49.
Turning everything off will lose the clock and restarting from 1/1/2016 and 13.00.
It almost seems that the + 12V battery does not come to hold. In fact there are other things that you lose by turning off. I have activated an option to turn on the radio on the latest active application (eg radio or navigator) but it does not work as well as the Mirror Link function loses the setting and you have to reconnect the USB cable between the radio and the smartphone to reactivate it. As I said, it almost seems that the + 12V maintenance does not come. Surely it comes to the original connector of standard radio (should be pin 11), then the wiring converter should bring the + 12V to the pin 32 of my radio. I will try to check even if I do not have much desire to remove the radio to verify.
What's strange is that if I insert a USB stick, the File Manager does not see it and I can not scroll the content; I imagined that in addition to displaying the contents of the two standard memories (Internal and SD for GPS), the File Manager could show me the contents of a USB stick inserted in the door, instead no. This too must be clarified.
And again, it's annoying that if I turn the car momentarily, eg. to resume or because it is off at the traffic light, the radio goes off and to restart it must do the boot (45 seconds). It also loses the active application, so if I was with the navigator I would have to restart and reset the destination. It would serve a sort of maintenance of 30 to 60 seconds to avoid this discomfort. I work for the coming months.
..... Continue .....
To solve above problem you have to reverse the red with the yellow but make an excursus. There are explanations about the reversal of the two signals (B + ie 12V fixed battery + 12V below the ignition key) on the various forums, which would seem typical of the Chinese. There are also many Youtube videos that show how to reverse the two signals, which basically means to reverse the yellow with red.
I have unplugged the radio from its home and in fact I saw that pin 32 with key wrench was 0 volts while 34 was at + 12V (refer to the connector diagram that I have already posted). This is the opposite of what 32 should be called B +, while the 34 is called ACC (ignition). I avoid saying now what is yellow and which red because I do not remember it and I would not want to confuse you. With ignition key, of course, both wires were + 12V.
Certainly the two signals were inverted so I started thinking about how to turn them in, by cutting the wires and jigging them inverted, or pulling the pins out of the seat and turning them inverted.
Then I remembered that with the radio I had provided some sort of extension of the ISO connectors, male and female, which I did not use because it seemed useless (see my photo where I point the cable 16 to not use).
Instead, that extension needed to reverse red with yellow, pin 32 with pin 34.
Inserted this "extension" between the radio and the harness of the Bassjunkies YES IS ALL BRILLANTLY RESOLVED.
The radio keeps the clock even if it turns off, turning off the car does not happen as before a brutal shutdown of the radio but after a few seconds starts the Power Off (shutting down) procedure, turning on the car the radio must no longer do boot from 45 seconds as before, but immediately switches on the active program at power off (this is a setting option). In fact, if the FM radio was active, it reappears on the same station, if it was in play a music or movie to reopen the player exactly from the point of the track in which it was interrupted. But if the navigator was open, but it reopens, though, by rewiring a boot and I do not think it reopens from the previous destination, but I did not try it well, I have to do it on the road (I remember that my Garmin, powered by the car, when you turn off the car, it goes off, but then departs from the same point on the travel trip set).
The only doubt I am about power consumption in this standby situation (like the notebooks when they close them go into freeze, then start from the same point by reopening the screen). I would not want the consumption to be significant and drain my battery. I do not think so, but I have to make sure.
I also solved the problem of the USB stick. In factory settings there is an option to enable external USB recognition, now it sees the key with its contents.
I'm left with the problem of boot logo, I would like to put my own but I can not understand what format I have to use, all the tests made with different formats and resolutions are not successful.

Attached Thumbnails 2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-boot-logo.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-obd2-e-torque.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-player-video-mp4.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-etichetta-vista-retro-e-connettori.jpg   2 DIN Android Radio on X-Type 2006 - Complete Installation-vista-retro-e-wiring-diagram-corretto.jpg  

Old 11-29-2017, 02:09 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Grazie! Glad to see an inexpensive option for out cats!

Old 07-09-2018, 12:21 AM

Hello, I'm Italian too; I read your post, and I have a question to ask you: I have already bought the 2 Din stereo from China and the dash kit from England, but the latter that I got is a color slightly darker than the rest of the dashboard, and I do not like it. Mine is a 2009 X Type 2.2 diesel, so last model, and the color of the adapter is a light gray. You can tell me where to buy it, because those seen on ebay all seem darker. Thank you
Enrico

Old 07-10-2018, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Trending Topics

Old 11-05-2023, 05:57 AM
Default help

i need help i have a jaguar x type radio android model RQ 0278 E china , the android can't boot probably i need an update can anyone help

Old 11-05-2023, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts