X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 problems

HI Guys..I want to thank you guys ahead of time for all your help you have provided to me in the past and helping me with my current issues. You have saved me loads of time, frustration and money.

Here is my new problems:

Gas smell in the cabin: It only occurs when its cold and when I first get in the car and start it up but eventually goes away.

High pitch sound whining sound coming from the passenger right front tire area and gets louder when going faster and softer when slowing down. Almost sounds like a siren when a tornado is coming.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for all your help

Old 02-11-2014, 11:58 PM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

The whine could be a wheel bearing, the gas smell could be because the engine is over fuelling on cold starts.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

If you don't see gas leaks under hood and car, it most likely evaporative system problem.
Did you look under hood and car?
I bought a car once, it had hole in fuel hose close to fuel tank.
Torch is the easiest way to diagnose fuel leak.
Don't use it.
Move wheel side to side and up/down to diagnose wheel bearing. Bad tire can make noise too.

Last edited by car5car; 02-12-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car did that once and I leaned over and smacked underneath the glove compartment and it stopped. Never made that noise again. Weird. lol

Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Temj3, if you sound issue is directly related to how fast the vehicle is moving, then odds are you are looking at a wheel bearing or a CV joint. You can differentiate between the wheel bearing and the CV joint by simply first trying to back up. If the noise changes significantly in tone/loudness, then odds are you are looking at a CV joint. The other check is to make a controlled fast lane change to the left and then to the right (you want the body of the car to roll slightly). You can accomplish the same thing if you can drive about 45ish mph and then make a turn like a tight bend in a highway. What you are listening for is the sound to remain the same or disappear. What you should hear is the sound remain the same when turning one way, but diminish/go away when you turn the other way. The direction that you are turning that makes the sound go away is the side with the wheel bearing issue.

As for the gas smell, depending on how the wind is blowing, you may get a little bit of a gas smell on start up because the engine is running rich and the heater intake is sucking up the outside air. That is one option. Granted, could have an issue. This is where more information would be needed to assess properly.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Is your fuel filter in need of a change? Could be related to that if it's clogged. I noticed a gas smell once or twice outside my car too but it went away. Are you using premium or regular? It could be that it's not burning the fuel completely... Maybe replace spark plugs? just guesses but at least they will get your car running good