X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-way speaker system

Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2-way speaker system

Took the door panel off to repair the infamous door handle problem. Thanks to jaguarforums tips everything went just fine.

I thought that it would be good time to upgrade speakers at the same time while the panel is off. Well, that didnīt go so smoothly then. I thought that the car was equipped with coaxial speaker. Turns out that there is a 2-way system. Cheap mid-range and probably even cheaper tweeter, and I mean cheap.. Both Philips, made in Hungary.

Problem is the wiring, mid range has to wires green and light green. Tweeter has white and yellow wires. Does anyone have a clue about crossover frequencies? Wires go through the door and then somewhere..

Any ideas? Is it the cd/radio unit itself that has crossover frequency network itself or are they somewhere else in the car as stand alone units?

If I bought a component system and use the original wires would that work?

Thanks..

Old 11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Repkim, based on the diagrams that I have, you should have the same color wires going to the tweeter as you do the midrange. So, you may want to look at the wire colors again under a bright light. With that being said, Jaguar uses common wires to both speakers and then lets the natural roll off of the speaker dictate which speaker produces what sounds. There are no cross-overs built into the car. So, there is no magical frequency you are looking at. All they are doing is they know that a 6.5" speaker is not capable of reproducing a sound above say 5,000 Hz. So, they find a tweeter that can not reproduce a sound below 5,000 Hz and the speakers will naturally work together. With that being said, this is not a good way to do things as the speakers will still attempt to reproduce the sounds which leads to distortion.

If you need to know more, let me know. I do car stereo install on the side and know a few things about speaker design and whatnot.

The following users liked this post:
Repkim (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 AM
Default 4 different wires

Thanks Thermo.

There are 4 different wires to speakers. I even took photos of them to be sure.

Aftermarket 2-way systems always have some kind of crossover network with them. Iīd think it to be quite strange if both original speakers were fed with the same signal..

Damn, this complicates things. I guess easiest way is to connect + and - wires from both speakers and wire them to a component system with individual crossover frequency network or a pair of coaxial speakers.

Head unit probably needs to changed some time in the future. Does anyone know if the original wiring harness is din compatible? Iīve also read that especially 2-din units are hard to mount because of space issues. What about 1-din units? Iīm thinking about Alpine unit. 1-din or 2-din model. Something that has usb, bluetooth, i and aux connectivity. Original Jaguar connectivity module is so bloody expensive..

Old 11-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Repkim, if you want me to send you the diagrams that I have, I will. That will show you what I am talking about. I would find it hard to believe that they have a different speaker wiring harness for non-USA cars than for USA cars.

As for wiring up component speakers, what I would say is to simply tape up one set of wires and then run the other set of wires to the crossover network. From there, you can run your two sets of wires out to the component speakers. This will garantee you have the correct crossover frequency for your components.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Default Schematics

Originally Posted by Thermo
Repkim, if you want me to send you the diagrams that I have, I will. That will show you what I am talking about. I would find it hard to believe that they have a different speaker wiring harness for non-USA cars than for USA cars.

As for wiring up component speakers, what I would say is to simply tape up one set of wires and then run the other set of wires to the crossover network. From there, you can run your two sets of wires out to the component speakers. This will garantee you have the correct crossover frequency for your components.
I found schematics and yellow and white seem to be "right" speaker wires. I still have no clue what the green and light green wires are.. Well, simplest way is to connect new speakers with both wire combinations and listen what sounds better. Canīt be much worse than original ones. :-)

Have to do some research on the door ajar switch on the driver side at the same time. Itīs been acting up..