X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 x type 2.5L V6 Head Gasket Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 x type 2.5L V6 Head Gasket Problem.

Hey Guys!

My X Type is blowing white smoke and it smells like burnt coolant.
It's got grey yellow color gunk on the oil cap and loosing about 500ml of coolant everyday.
So I am thinking about using 2 bottles of Steel Seal (head gasket sealant) for temporary measure.

If it does not work then I want to disassemble engine and change the head gasket. but on JTIS21 X type said It is necessary to remove the engine in order to remove the engine front cover. Does that mean I have to lift the engine?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Well Stephen not exactly. On the X type you have to drop the engine out the bottom. I have seen at least a couple of threads on this. Be sure to search this forum and you will find some details and some pictures.

I have done this on my wife's car, remove the engine and put in another one. And, it's not exactly easy but it can be done. If the weather had not been so cold here the last couple of days, I would have finished the job. Perhaps I'll get it finished tomorrow

The following users liked this post:
Son Stephen (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Stephen, well, unfortunately, that is one of the downsides to a transverse mounted engine. Yes, you will end up pulling the engine. I wish the answer was better, but that is the short of the story. Your only other option is if you can figure out a way to get the cam shafts off the heads without having to lift the timing chain. easier said than done. The big thing would be parking the car, getting the valve covers off so you can see the timing marks and then dismantling the engine. That way, if you can pull the cams, you have something to set the timing back to.

Wish you luck. As for the stop leak products, I can not recommend using that. The short of the story, the stop leak is going to coat everything and in the end, it tends to lead to more overheating issues than it corrects. Great product if you are somewhere you really don't want to be and need to get out of there. But beyond that, I wouldn't use the products.

The following users liked this post:
Son Stephen (03-27-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you for replies. What a task.

Thank you very much for your advises.
I looked at engine replacement, engine building and head gasket replacement posts and it is a huge job.
I am very new to car repairs (a month) and I don't have necessary tools for this operation. Lol
I have a lot to learn from this forum before I try to replace an engine.
However I found out a thermostat malfunction raised engine temp and leaked the head gasket. A humble thermostat is a cause. TT

Best Regards
Stephen