X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jag X type turns over hit alittle wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Jag X type turns over hit alittle wont start

When I first saw this 2002 X type Jag all wheel drive with 3.0 it ran just fine. Went to buy her and now it just turns over and trys to fire. Its got colder her in Missouri. It has 95000 miles. Should I run or should I buy. The unit also has one snap out key that seems to be unable to turn ignition. The othe key does turn ignition but it just turns over hit once and awhile. Must be something simple. I have 3 hours to decide so asap if you can explain it.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

ollison, too many X-Types out there to have a head ache on your hands right off the bat. So, unless they are willing to practically give it away, I would walk away and see what else you can find. Sounds like a security issue to me based on what you are describing. Sounds like someone tried to use the key that doesn't turn the ignition and now the car is fighting back.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:44 PM

Which key do you use. Flip out or standard? Unplug battery and reconnect?

Old 11-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Veteran member

The standard key is supposed to be only a valet key. This prevents valet people from being able to access your trunk and the like.

As for my car, I only have the flip out key. I bought my XType used and someone had already trashed the valet key.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Cool 2002 X-type can be bought cheap until Monday afternoon

I can get this car for $2000. I know they are selling cheap but this seems like its to cheap to pass even with this price. I signed a contract which holds their price until Monday at 5:00. Its clean White on white. The car has sat for about 8 months. It started and ran fine a month ago when I first looked at it. What about the battery? If its not top notch would that effect its starting? The car did have a slight bump on front bumper. I see where paint is cracked. Could the inertia switch popped. Of course the front bumper was damaged when it started first time. So out of the blue the flip key wont turn ignition but the valet will. Worn flip key. The valet key turns engine over but wont start. I do not want nightmare but I do not want to miss a buy either. I own a XK8 convertible that I love. I wanted another Jag for my wife. Anymore suggestions b4 I make the aliment decision.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

ollison, it could be that the battery is weak. You can try connecting up a set of jumper cables and letting the jumping vehicle recharge the battery for say 15 minutes and then with the cables still connected, attempt to start the car then. A low battery on the X-Type can cause strange things. Unfortunately, unless you can fix it yourself, I see this being say a $1000 repair bill. Are you willing to spend $3000 on the car and have to deal with trying to get the car hauled around town? Not to mention taking the risk that the fix can cost more than $1000.

Not trying to be wishy washy on this, but the value of the car is in the eye of the beholder. How much money and time are you willing to possibly put into this car to get it up and running. I agree that for $2000 it is a steal. But the possibility of having to spend a lot of money to get it up and running has me being cautious. At a minimum you are looking at having a new key cut for the car to get the fob working again. That can be fun in itself.

The following users liked this post:
ollison (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I bet that $10 worth the gasoline the dealer put in the car however-many-months-ago when the car first came on the lot was a cheap, regular (not "Premium") ethanol blend.

(That stuff sucks water out of the air, and picks up any that may have been in the tank to start with)

When you change the plugged gas filter - right there on the lot, after you buy the car for next-to-nothing - and pour 5 gallons of quality gasoline into the tank, I bet she revs up and purrs like a kitten when the good gas finally makes it up to the injectors.

Good luck!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Wink Good Thought on cheap gas!

Good Thought on cheap gas! Cheap gas, low battery, weather cooling off=no start. Where is the gas filter?

Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

ollison, look just in front of the rear passenger tire. You will see the fuel line running there and the fuel filter is bolted to the body. Do not forget to bring the fuel line tool with you as you will need that to get the fittings apart.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

A little poking around these here interwebs reveal that the state of Missouri doesn't have a "Used Car Lemon Law", but it does indeed have a law concerning "Warrant of Merchantability".

Although checking off the box ("ticking" it, for our European brethren) of the Buyer's Guide (the paper glued to the window) that says "Sold As-Is, Includes Any And All Faults" is a way for the dealer to get around that, if you can't get the car to start and run well enough to drive off the lot, the dealer will likely have no real recourse if you then call your bank and issue a "Stop Payment" on your personal check right in front of him.

$10 for the gas filter, $10 for the gas-line tool, $25 for five gallons of fresh premium gasoline, and $25 for a stop-payment order on the check if it doesn't work out is not too bad of an investment for a possibly excellent deal on an X-Type.

The worst part (best part?) is if you end up "cancelling" the sale that way, you will probably make the used-car dealer cry like a baby. If that happens, would you kindly take photos or a short video with your cell-phone camera of the dealer crying and post it here to the forum.

On the other hand, you might consider purchasing a quality warranty from the dealer (at cost, he doesn't get to make a profit off that particular deal!), and after you close the deal have him trailer your "new" car to a shop that recognizes the warranty and is able to fix the problem.

The advantage of the warranty (probably a thousand bucks or so) is that you will be covered for other problems as well, well into the future.

Best of luck!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 284 Likes on 160 Posts

Possibly a PATS glitch:
Try using the key to lock and unlock the driver door. Then try to start using a known good key. If no luck, do the same with the other key. If it's going to start, it will fire right up.
Best regards,
Bill

Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Received 284 Likes on 160 Posts

I know, I know....
If its PATS, it won't turn over...
Trust me... If the PATS gets cranky (no pun intended), it may crank but not fire.
Ignition operation without a good read of the chip will do that.
Opening the door with the lock resets PATS for another try.

Best regards,
Bill

Last edited by Bill400; 11-18-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelin
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 AM
Default Update. 2002 Jag wont start Lost remote

I went to eye ball the car closer. It was bought on an online auction. After driving 4 hours pulling a trailer I got to the 2002 Jag X-type and decided it was a wasted trip at this time. It was advertised as a runner. As stated it doesn't run so even though I was high bidder they were nice enough not to hold me to it. It will be auctioned off again as a non runner and I will have another opportunity to buy it maybe much less. Problem??? They claim that the flip out key must not be for this car since it will not turn the ignition. Hmmm. But it unlocks the door. They got rid of that Flip out key. Dumb. Now we only have a valet key. The battery seems to be totally dead so we used a pro jump box to turn it over. Hit a couple times but would not start. The battery being dead dead maybe the problem not starting??Right or Wrong? Also If I buy a Remote how do I get it programmed and cut?? I found an entire ignition with remote key on Ebay $74. It will be auctioned again this Friday and $1200 or so may buy it. Should I fall out of love with it?. Or at $1200 could it be a car to flip? 2002 Jag 95K 3.0 X-Type.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question My 2002 X Type Won't Start

I just joined this site and am not sure how to post ??s. Forgive me and correct me if i'm not on the right page but i need HELP! My car started fine but i heard a beeping sound. 2 beeps, pause, 2 beeps, pause, etc. for a total of 12 beeps. Drove to the store, turned car off, removed the key, heard the beeps, got in the car, drove home, turned off the car, heard the beeps, now the car won't start but i still hear the beeps and all lights, radio, heat, etc. come on. Red light near gear **** comes on for a second then goes out. I've been trying to reset FOBs, i hear the 1st chirp when i turn the key 4 times but not when i remove it & push a button. What else can i try????

Please Let The Jag Gods Be With Me!!!!!