X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jaguar wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2002 Jaguar wont start

I have a 2002 Xtype that I just bought from a used car dealership. It was a report and sat for about a year. I got it home by a wrecker and replaced a battery the coolant Reservoir and some hoses. The first time I put the battery on I turned the key over to get the mileage. I took the key out and locked the doors. The next day I got all the parts I needed to put the new Reservoir on. When I put the key in it and turned it over I got no power to the instrument panel or radio. I went to turn it over and got a beeping noise from under the dash on the passenger side. I have no idea what's going great on with it. I need help badly!

Old 07-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Ian, before we get going too far, look at the center console just below the shift lever. when you attempt to start the car, are you getting a flashing red light, no light, or a solid red light? A solid red light would tell me that for some reason the key that you are using is not being seen by the car and therefore is not allowing the starting of the vehicle. By chance, are you using a different key than you did the first day? It is possible that the key has been cut to allow turning of the key, but the electronics inside the key are not matched to the ECU. There is a special number that is unique to each key. If that number is not stored in the ECU/instrument cluster, it will not allow the car to start.

With all of this being said, it is sounding like you could benefit from a good service manual for the car. Look up at the top of this section for the service manual (JTIS). It is a free download here and that will have all your electrical diagrams and a step by step on how to repair just about anything associated with the car.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:13 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

First step: Check battery voltage with a multimeter. Your condition is called No-Crank No-Start. Even though you replaced the battery you must start there to solve the problem. It appears you bought this car in non-running condition, so you must start with the basics to bring it back up.