X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jaguar X type "Cruise not Available"

Old 07-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 2002 Jaguar X type "Cruise not Available"

My jaguar X type has a yellow light that appears that reads " Cruise Not Available". Now my engine light is also on and stays on. When the Yellow light comes on and reads "Cruise not Available" when giving the car gas it bucks as if not getting gas or something. But when the light goes off and the message disappears the car runs fine. I have taken it to the Jaguar Dealership 3 times... 1ST it was my battery, So I replaced it $$. Light and warning came back. 2ND time it was my gas cap, So I replaced that $. Light and warning back again. 3Rd time they now say it's an oxygen sensor in my engine and it will cost $950.00 $$$. I left without replacing the $950.00 oxygen sensor. Can anyone tell me what this yellow light that comes with the warning "Cruise Not Available" is? And why the car bucks when giving it gas while this warning appears? I don't want to keep spending money on solutions that don't work. PLEASE HELP!!! Desperate and going broke in Florida.

The following users liked this post:
mft5152 (10-21-2020)
Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dmalaga
My jaguar X type has a yellow light that appears that reads " Cruise Not Available". Now my engine light is also on and stays on. When the Yellow light comes on and reads "Cruise not Available" when giving the car gas it bucks as if not getting gas or something. But when the light goes off and the message disappears the car runs fine. I have taken it to the Jaguar Dealership 3 times... 1ST it was my battery, So I replaced it $$. Light and warning came back. 2ND time it was my gas cap, So I replaced that $. Light and warning back again. 3Rd time they now say it's an oxygen sensor in my engine and it will cost $950.00 $$$. I left without replacing the $950.00 oxygen sensor. Can anyone tell me what this yellow light that comes with the warning "Cruise Not Available" is? And why the car bucks when giving it gas while this warning appears? I don't want to keep spending money on solutions that don't work. PLEASE HELP!!! Desperate and going broke in Florida.
First get a read out for any trouble codes before replacing anything. There are several things that can bring on the Cruise Not Available most pertain to a intake vacuum leak. All of these problems are easy and inexpensive to fix.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cruise

Not a mechanic, but I had the same thing and it turned out to be some small hose in the engine compartment that had a split in it. Apparently very common on x types. My mechanic replaced it with an aftermarket better piece of hose and I haven't had a problem since. He charged me 10 bucks.

Karra Mclean (11-23-2018)
Old 07-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Question Thank you for the suggestions and experiences

Thank you for the suggestions. But were in the engine compartment should I start to look and how can you tell if you do not see any obvious leaks or holes, splits in the intake vacuum hoses?? Any suggestions... Maybe spray water and look for bubbles? Not sure if that would work with finding suction as well as finding air leaking. Has anyone found their intake vacuum leak on their own, and if so how? Thank you for all your help in advance.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

Read my thread (my x-type projects and installs) and trust me you will save a lot of money ,,,

Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs down

[QUOTE=dmalaga;222040]Thank you for the suggestions. But were in the engine compartment should I start to look and how can you tell if you do not see any obvious leaks or holes, splits in the intake vacuum hoses?? Any suggestions... Maybe spray water and look for bubbles? Not sure if that would work with finding suction as well as finding air leaking. Has anyone found their intake vacuum leak on their own, and if so how? Thank you for all your help in advance. [/QUOTE

Besides the"'Cruise Not Available"what other warning do you have. Is there a "Check Engine" light also. To better diagnose the cause you need to get the trouble codes from the computer. Most large auto supply houses will get these codes for free. Simply swapping parts hoping to find the cause can get expensive and frustrating.

Last edited by Green Machine; 07-11-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

3 things to replace that are most common.
1 PCV hose
2 imt orings both
3 brake booster pipe (you can repair by putting heat shrink over the check valve)
if you do these the next inline leakers are the upper and lower intake gaskets, followed by the occassional brake booster diaphram

Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Thank you for the suggestions. But were in the engine compartment should I start to look and how can you tell if you do not see any obvious leaks or holes, splits in the intake vacuum hoses?? Any suggestions... Maybe spray water and look for bubbles? Not sure if that would work with finding suction as well as finding air leaking. Has anyone found their intake vacuum leak on their own, and if so how? Thank you for all your help in advance.
No water. If you want to spray the vac hoses and fittings use a little bit of carb cleaner. If there is a leak you'll get a change in engine RPM when the cleaner is sucked into the intake.

You could also use a small vac pump like a Mity Vac to test the hoses.

However, a visual inspection often will be sufficient. As Brutal said, check those first. If that front PCV hose is split it will be around 2-3 inches long and probably staring you right in the face.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by the chris x
however, a visual inspection often will be sufficient. As brutal said, check those first. If that front pcv hose is split it will be around 2-3 inches long and probably staring you right in the face.
except normally on the bottom of the hose, or around where it necks down. Replace with the ribbed new version

Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm new to this form (or any forum). I would love to hear what you have to say. I need help! Thanks

Originally Posted by dennis black
Read my thread (my x-type projects and installs) and trust me you will save a lot of money ,,,

Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 AM

I had the same problem, but the Check Engine light never came on. The dealer replaced the fuel filter and added fuel stabilizer. They said to NOT use cheap gas.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Tex, humor us and stop by your local auto parts store and see if you have any stored codes in the car. For the "cruise no available" light to come on, you have to either have a fault with the engine or a fault with the instrument cluster. But, I would also do a quick look in the engine bay and remove the cover off of the engine. If you look next to where the incoming air runs back to the intake, just to the left of it you will see a big rubber hose going from the top of the engine to the intake. The hose is about the diameter of your thumb. Pull that hose off and look at the underside (especially if the hose is smooth). You may mind that there is a split in that hose. If so, get a new "PCV hose". The new one will be ribbed as Jaguar found out that the original one was prone to a failure like you just found.

The other place to check is to follow the vacuum line (about the diameter of a pencil) coming off of the top of the engine and running over to the brake booster. In the middle of it, you will find a small plastic bulge (this is a check valve). Does the check valve look to be in good condition or do you see a crack in it? If you see a crack or it just looks bad, replace that. That hose is the "brake booster line".

Lets see what codes you have and then that may help us narrow things down.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
00franky00 (08-05-2014), autumn36 (12-03-2022)
Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Just replace the PCV hose anyway. You can get it online from Amazon for $15 and $5 shipping. Good insurance.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:18 AM

Hi guys
I am new here, and a recently converted Jag owner.
This thread is the very reason I cam to this forum. I have the same (or similar) issue, however, mine in intermittent. The amber caution light comes on, and the "cruise not available" message comes on at same time, and I get the "chugging" and "bucking" symptoms. If I lift my foot right off the throttle, then very gentle accelerate, it will stop, and the light and message will disappear, and I can floor it, and car takes off great. Do you still think it is same problem, i.e vacuum lines?
I am taking it to mechanic, would just like to go in there armed with a bit of info, if you get my drift lol
Thanks guys
Phil

Old 11-13-2013, 03:47 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

@Clr525
Yes it most defiantly could be vacuum lines, or a dirty throttle body you're dealing with. Also could be something in the transmission causing it; low or dirty fluid. There's some idea's where they could start looking…

clr525 (11-15-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 04:21 PM

Thanks Jim
The large vacuum hose from top of engine to intake manifold was loose at the rubber connections, so sealed that better, and hey presto, the popping noise from the air cleaner is gone.
I still have the cruise not available, and the amber light, but I am suspecting it will be the vacuum line that goes down to the gearbox...off to check that now

Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM

when Cruise Not Available comes on, does the cruise control work,, or is it something unrelated????

My Cruise Not Available comes up every once in a while, & the cruise control doesn't work. Im wondering if its a minor issue like whats being discussed on this thread.
The difference is I do not get any warning or engine lights. Jus cruise not available.

I certainly don't mean to hijack the thread, but since its being discussed, i'd certainly appreciate any insight....

Old 11-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same exact problem, intermittent "Cruise not available" message with bucking engine, and CEL light. I checked all the above mentioned hoses and they were fine. Started the engine and with the hood open I could here a hissing sound. Ran my finger around the Intake tuning ports and could here the sound change. I took the top one out and you could see a slight carbon track. The O ring looked ok but I bought two more and replaced them. The Cruise not available never came back on and the car ran fine. After driving and starting the car several times the CEL went out too. You can't get Autozone or places like that to reset the CEL anymore in this State, they say they can be fined for emission violations. And I took a chance and went to the Ford dealer about a mile from me with the tuning port, which had a FOMOCO P/N and was able to get the O rings there. They were still $30.00 apiece, can't imagine what the Jag dealer would charge

clr525 (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 03:26 PM

Thank you for the heads up Jetjack. I will check that out today. I have checked and replace vacuum hoses where needed, and done oil change in tranny, but, although not as bad, or frequent, problem persists. Might just be the o rings as you suggest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Jaguar X type "Cruise not Available"