X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 Sedan (111K) for 3.1K$ a good deal

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 Sedan (111K) for 3.1K$ a good deal

I live in Albany NY and have come across this deal for 2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 Sedan with 111000 Miles on it for around 3100$. The car looks flawless externally and also starts and drives great.
I am student who just started working after graduating and wanted to get something powerful as my first car. Wanted to know if this is a good buy or not.

Will this car have any major issues coming up after this mileage point ? Will the car spares be expensive in part of upstate NY ? I usually drive around 14 miles each day. will it have a decent resale value after 6months or so ( i would be happy even if I get 2.5K for it later)

Excuse my ignorance about car issues, but wanted to know these things. I understand that these kinda questions suit more for a honda rather than something as sporty as Jaguar. Would appreciate suggestions.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum darshshinde,

I've moved your question from the Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center section to the X-Type section. The Advice / Feedback section is for posts about the forum and not for technical questions.

Members here with the same model will be able to advise on this prospective purchase.

I hope it works out OK.

Graham

Old 08-12-2013, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Ahoy & welcome!

Not being from US I can only really comment on one thing; sporty driving.

The car has AWD and really good traction, I don't think that dumping the clutch on a 3.0 manual would result in any wheelspin at all, even on wet tarmac. Then consider that the fairly small transfer case, which is known to flex (and sometimes even crack) slightly under stress, has just a tiny bit of oil in it, and has no real cooling to speak of yet is placed next to the hot exhaust coming down from the engine. You can probably see what I'm getting at...

The transfer case is fine if you drive sensibly, but if you want to regularly shoot from 0-60 or lights-to-lights, it may fail on you. I recall hearing some have gone through 1 case per 30k miles, at $3000 a pop. As goes without saying, any transfer case issues are likely to wreck the resale value.

Then again, some drive fairly sportily without issues and I've heard of (seen one too) 300bhp+ X-Types without issues with their transfer cases. Just consider this a fair warning

EDIT:
As some wise mind here once said, this car is a cruiser, not a sports car.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

darshshinde, like was mentioned above, if you plan on driving sporty, the X-Type is going to be an expensive car to own. If you are after sporty, then for just a little more, you should be able to find an S-Type that will handle what you are after.

As for the car, that is a pretty good price. The big thing I would tell you is to do a once over of the suspension. The first thing I would do is get the car up to about 60 mph and see if there is a vibration that seems to be coming from the front seats (carrier bearing is worn and needs greased, possibly replaced). Next is to get the car up to 65 mph to see if the steering wheel wobbles side to side (needs an alignment). Finally, look at the rear tires. Specifically, see if the top of the rear tires are leaning in (needs a new upper suspension arm) and you may also notice some inside edge tire wear (most likely will need a lower/forward suspension arm).

As for parts, are they "Ford/Chevy econobox" cheap? By no means. But, the parts are going to be fairly reasonable if you know where to shop. This is where this site will come in handy. ALso, if you can do the work yourself, you will save tons of money. One of the members in your area has not had good luck with the local shops (Buffalo area).

Like I have said numerous times, the X-TYpe is a great cruiser, not a sports car. You want something to cruise the interstate at 75 mph, this car will do it in style and comfort. You want something to zip light to light, it will do it, but at a cost.

The following users liked this post:
tomdot (08-13-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Based on your post and comments, I suggest you do NOT buy the X Type.