X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X Type Questions.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 X Type Questions.......

My wife has a 2003 X Type and it has a couple of issues. The oddest issue is a whine that the car makes from time to time. It only does this when the weather is cold and appears to be speed dependent. It occurs around 25 to 30 MPH. It's a strange noise too. A haunting whine. I'm not sure if applying the brakes causes the noise to go away, or if that action just takes the car out of the speed band where it occurs. A mechanic friend suggested replacing the brake booster check valve.

Another issue is the windows fogging horribly. I'm going to change the cabin air filter for this one. That seems logical to me. Let me know if there are other items I should be looking at.

The only other problem has been the door locks. Sometimes when we lock the car I can still open the drivers door. It feels like there's a mechanical issue between the actuator and the physical lock.

I'm off to the dealer today to pick up the check valve and air filter. If anyone has some other ideas, let me know. I have some time over the holidays that I can work on it.

Thad

Old 12-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Issue 1 is likely the prop shaft center bearing

Issue 2 is likely the air blend door stuck closed

Issue 3 ?

For the first two, search the X-Type section and there will be lots of discussion around those two. Maybe even get a hint at the third.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Thank you very much. I'll work on greasing the center bearing in the next couple of days.

I also found some good information on the air blend door. While I'm replacing the filter, I'll look at that.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Thad

Old 12-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey Thad

Also check the transfer case fluid, it will get real expensive real fast if you are running a dry transfer case and even though the dealer says sealed for life THEY ARE LYING! Regardless, you can go to a GOOD lube and oil place, read up on it first so you know what and how much to add. Draining it is simple and they have the pump so filling it is easy too, does not take a lot of fluid (600ml or something) and costs less than 80.00 to get done with an oil change, or do it yourself but do it. Car will whine on deceleration and it's a weird whine too.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Hi Thad, my '02 X -Type has had all three of the things you mention too , still got the creepy whine ( even with the wife left at home ) looking to change the transfer case oil as soon as the weather allows . My fogging was the air blend door stuck in the sucking air out of the cabin position , fixed by reading this ace forum , difference is awesome . Drivers door lock mechanism hates wet and ice , sometimes locks me in , sometimes locks me out , remote locking takes a hike every time the temp. drops below -3 C ............... I think they call it character , gotta love 'em though.

Mike.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there, see you've pretty much been sorted mate

As for the door handles / locks.....check out the FAQ quick link thread....there's a FAQ for removing the door card and also details on the door handle / lock mechanism that you will find useful.
Grease the centre bearing and check your fluids in the T/C as sealed for life isn't in this case and you should be good

If its an 03 I'm surprised the dash vents haven't been popping up as well?