X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X Type Replace Shifter Cable Guide???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 X Type Replace Shifter Cable Guide???

EDIT: On second thought, it looks like this thread has exactly what I need https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-issue-97365/

Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 X-Type 3.0L with automatic transmission that is having trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. It will slip out and go into neutral for about 5-10 seconds until shifting up.

Took it to the dealer and they suggested replacing the shifter cable and entire shifter assembly.

I've sourced the part on my own and am about to have a go at replacing it myself.

Does anybody have any links, guides, advice etc on the quickest and easiest way to get at the cable before I start disassembling the whole car?

I've done a lot of searching on the forum but am coming up a bit short. Much appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by jasal1960; 12-27-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

You may want to try a search for jaguar x type shift cable on youtube. There are a lot of maintenance and repair videos for our Jags there.

https://www.youtube.com/

Old 12-27-2016, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Below is a link to a thread about shift cables. Follow the link to Jagrepair.com and download the PDF section for (Xtype Powertrain Specifications cont.) it has all of the info for replacing the cable. Also take a look at the TSB that Motorcarman posted.
I am assuming you are manually shifting thru the J-Gate. If you aren't and it is slipping between gears it isn't the cable.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-dial-174261/

The following users liked this post:
jasal1960 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avern1
Below is a link to a thread about shift cables. Follow the link to Jagrepair.com and download the PDF section for (Xtype Powertrain Specifications cont.) it has all of the info for replacing the cable. Also take a look at the TSB that Motorcarman posted.
I am assuming you are manually shifting thru the J-Gate. If you aren't and it is slipping between gears it isn't the cable.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-dial-174261/
Thanks so much avern, I will go look at this now. Thank you Bud Tender as well!

Avern, if you wanted to take a guess, here's some more info:

I'm not currently using the J-Gate to shift. That is to say, I simply take the knob, reverse off the drive way, and then shift it back to D. Sometimes it doesn't want to stay in D and requires some forceful downwards yanking to stay where it should be.

Then, once in D, I accelerate as per normal, and the moment the automatic shifter disengages the clutch, the car goes into neutral and begins to slow down. Pressing the gas pedal does nothing besides spinning the flywheel at a higher RPM.

After about 5-10 seconds, the car says to itself, "oh right, second gear!", and then shifts to second. It usually doesn't have as much trouble with 3rd and 4th etc.

I have downloaded the relevant info from the PDFs and was hoping replacing the cable would be enough.

In your opinion, would it more likely be an issue with the shifter assembly or ECU, instead of the cable?

I have it all disassembled and will be replacing it tomorrow, so I will let you know what I find.

The dealer shop assured us it was the cable only, no problems with the gears or transmission itself