X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 XType Issues on Cold Mornings

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2003 XType Issues on Cold Mornings

Hey guys, new to the forum, any help/advice would be appreciated...

Recently (only on cold mornings ), I'm having the following symptoms:

1. Check engine light
2. Cruise Not Available Message
3. Car wants to die, low RPMs, unless I move it into neutral
4. Car has a "hiccup" when braking...brakes don't seem to work 100% and car even seems to be trying to accelerate when braking
5. Whether in reverse or drive, it takes me accelerating agressively for the car to go
6. Once car warms up and is started for the second time in the day, everything seems back to normal (except check engine light is still on)

Through googling (and keep in mind I know nothing about engines), it seems this is a common problem on XTypes and is probably either the:
- PCV hose
- imt orings
- brake booster pipe

My questions:
1. Is there anything else it could be?
2. What cost am I looking at to get this issue fixed at the Jaguar dealership here in baton Rouge?
3. any other advice/tips?

Thanks
Geaux Tigers!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

JPLSU, I would give the throttle body a good cleaning with some throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner). Then see what you have. It is possible that when things are cold, any sort of build up on the throttlebody is causing the butterfly valve to stick and in general create havoc. After that, I would clean the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. That can also cause some heartaches.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

JPLSU - When is the last time you changed your fuel filter?

I have changed the IMT-O Rings to the Green Ones (old ones were yellow). New Battery, Changed Air filter, cleaned MAF, and cleaned build up on the Throttle body.
Checked pvc hose no leak.

After the clean up I had no engine/ trac / abs light for a few days. Today its a little cold in Chicago and had all the lights come back on at first start up in the morning.

After driving for a while, and then starting it up a second time, Do the lights go off?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by fabfive
JPLSU - When is the last time you changed your fuel filter?

After driving for a while, and then starting it up a second time, Do the lights go off?

I'm not sure if the fuel filter has ever been cleaned...(I just got this car as a hand-me-down from parents a couple months back)

And yes, after driving for a little while and starting the car back up for the second time in the day, everything seems fine. The check engine light is still on, but everything is fine upon startup once the car has warmed up for the day.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2002 was the same way, ran fine after warm up. I sprayed some starting fluid between the plenums and was able to smooth out the idle for a short bit. Had lower plenum o rings changed.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by JPLSU1981
I'm not sure if the fuel filter has ever been cleaned...(I just got this car as a hand-me-down from parents a couple months back)

And yes, after driving for a little while and starting the car back up for the second time in the day, everything seems fine. The check engine light is still on, but everything is fine upon startup once the car has warmed up for the day.
You should probably check this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...problem-67235/ sounds like a similar problem.
Have you hade the codes read?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by smccatv
My 2002 was the same way, ran fine after warm up. I sprayed some starting fluid between the plenums and was able to smooth out the idle for a short bit. Had lower plenum o rings changed.

I visually checked what I believe to be the brake line booster pipe and PCV pipe.....BLB pipe is all black, even the big part in the center (I know some have said if the big thing in the middle is white, replace it, but mine is black)...Also the PCV pipe is ridged, not smooth.

I don't see any leaks or hissing coming from those two pipes. Of course it was not too cold this morning so I wasn't seeing the same symptoms that I normally see (car wanting to die idling, etc).

My dad recently replaced the radiator and he told me it's possible they didn't get everything reconnected properly....(not necessarily the radiator connections, but some of the other connections that had to be disconnected in order to replace the radiator).

Based on what I've read on here, I'm very confident that it's some sort of vacuum leak/choke issue (I'm leaning towards brake line booster because of the issues I've had with the brakes on cold mornings) because of the fact that it's only happening on cold mornings before the car has gotten warmed up. Once the car is warmed up, everything seems fine.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Default Another question...

I need to get my transmission serviced (drained, new filter, etc).... Should I get my transmission serviced before or after dealing with my current problem ... or does it even matter really>?

PS - I also noticed another symptom this morning. It may or may not be related, but I see a light smoke coming from under the engine cover (appears to be coming from the left side). What could this be and is it related to my cold morning issues?

Old 01-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

JPL, I would venture to guess that if the smoke is coming from the front side of the engine, then you have a little bit of left over oil on your header and that is burning off (must have just had the oil changed in the recent past). nothing to worry about.

As for getting the tranny serviced, it doesn't matter if you get it done before or after your code issue. 2 completely different issues.