X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X Type Headlights/Marker lights always on

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 X Type Headlights/Marker lights always on

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advise? When I start the engine on my X type, the headlights, tail lights, and side marker lights are always on whether in daylight or night time. I can manually turn the front and rear fog lights on and off, and high beams on/off but the rest are always on. When the car is shut off, I can use the switch to turn the parking lights on and off, with no problem. I can't understand why when I start the engine that all the lights come on and I can't shut them off. I was going to order a replacement light switch, but I'm hesitant that it may be a different problem and don't want to waste the money for nothing. Would appreciate any advise!

Old 09-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Analysis of this issue would be helped by telling us where you are, or which market this car was built for - are you in Hamilton, Canada and is this a Canadian-market car (which has the daytime running light system)? Or....?
Because it is perfectly normal for all the lights, front, side and rear to be on in that circumstance (headlights included)...or you may have a car from another market destination in which the DRL system has been enabled...

Old 09-13-2016, 01:45 PM

Yes, I'm in Hamilton, Ontario and the car was purchased new in Canada, however it is not normal in this area of Canada for all running lights and headlamps to be on during the day. Basically my light switch gives the same result in all positions once the vehicle has been started (with exception to both fog lamps).

Old 09-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

LoveIt, Jaguar built Canadian Jaguars to act just as you are describing. If you are after a headlight system that acts like a US car (ie, nothing comes on unless you tell it to, then you need to get a "non daytime running light" switch. If you want something that has the low beams and the marker lights on when the headlight switch is in the OFF and ON position, but only the marker lights in the PARK position, then you need the "scandinavia" headlight switch.

If none of these are matching what you want, let me know what you want and maybe there is something that can be done to give you what you want. For example, if you want the running lights not to work in the OFF position, but have the low beams on, then this would entail getting the "scandinavia" headlight switch and then cutting a specific wire on the back of the headlight switch. This would then leave the marker lights working in only the PARK and ON position with the low beams on in the OFF and ON positions. So, like I mentioned, tell me what you want and I am sure I can figure out a simple way to make it happen.

The following users liked this post:
LoveIt (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

As Thermo and I have both said, your lighting system is operating exactly as it should. In fact the Jaguar system for the Canadian cars, which has all lights, front, side and rear, is infinitely superior (that is, safer) than systems in other cars which only illuminate parking lamps or headlamps in front and nothing else. I can't tell you how frightening it is to come up to a car at night which has no rear or side lights - the driver thinking that since he had headlights he also had rear lights!
Then there is the convenience. My wife has never even touched the lighting switch in her X-Type in 12 years. I doubt that she knows where the switch is, and she doesn't need to know.

The following users liked this post:
LoveIt (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 06:18 PM

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your fast responses! I can live with all of the lighting on (even during daylight hours). I just thought there was something wrong with the switch, but it that's the way it's supposed to be then that's great. I shall carry on like Thermo's wife and only use my high beams when necessary! :-)