X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X-Type shut down

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 X-Type shut down

I am. New here to the forum and would like some help.I was just towed home .my car shut down after about 15 min.driving around I got it to crank over but would not run after about five min it would run for a few seconds then stop ? I don't know if the weather had anything to do with. dam cold to sit on the side of the road. I put a code reader on it and only got p1000

Old 01-06-2018, 02:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mkalow1j,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 01-06-2018, 06:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Mkalow1j, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information and people here. So, I am sure we can get you taken care of.

As for your problem, it is sounding like your fuel pump has given up the ghost. If you have a code reader, you can try connecting the code reader to observe the fuel pressure as you attempt to start the car and let it run till it dies. The fuel pressure should remain at 40+ psi (should be up around 50 psi with the key in run, but the engine off). If you see it dropping off, then this is confirming a bad fuel pump.

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? If it has been a long time (ie, more than 20K miles), you may want to try and replace that first. But, if you are having the same symptoms, then the next thing I would say to try is to get your hand under the gas tank on the passenger side (for you) and about a foot in from the outside edge, give the center of the tank a good whack with your fist. This will jossle the fuel pump a little. If your fuel pump is starting to go, this will sometimes cause it to work for a period of time to allow you to get to the shop. This is a hit and miss fix, but it may help you out for a little bit.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Default 04 x type

I changed the fuel filter and still a no go . I sprayed starter fluid in the intake it would not start. Through the code reader and just p1000 is showing still.I'll rap the tank after I thaw out it's like 9 out there and a wind chill that's gonna stay with me till spring. Filter only took 15 min when I drained the filter a lot of dirty gas came . the hood latch stuck open not complaining though love the jag.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:43 PM
Veteran member

Mkalow1j, if you added starter fluid and the car still didn't start, then the fuel pump is not your issue. By chance, when you attempt to start the car, is the red light on the center console on? If it is, then you have lost the programming to the key for some reason and you will need to get the key reprogrammed. Granted, you should also see a message about "security failure" or something to that effect on the message center.

I would also recommend checking fuse F10 (15 amp) in the engine bay fuse box. It is possible that you have blown that fuse which would take out the coils, leading to a non-start issue.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:43 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

My 1st thought, water froze in gas filter. But was replaced so...
Did it overheat? 2nd thought

Old 01-07-2018, 08:04 PM

I tried hitting the gas tank a few times and still not starting so I'll have it towed to the local shop.like I said it's just too cold for me to work on it now .if they can't pick it up Monday after work I'll go over the fuse block to see if I have blown one . The red light is on when I try starting/cranking over the motor, their is no messages in the dash . When I get word from the shop I'll post it for you guys hopefully they can do the work on it or its off to the dealer.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:03 PM

The shop called me today and found no iusses with the car when they got it ,won't start they pushed it in the shop hooked up the scanner found 6 codes that don't come up with the after market scaners that we would get they use (snap-on) showed 3 security codes (non-issue) that would cause no start . They fell that I shouldn't spend money until there sure. The only thing that there thinking close to problem would be fuel pump or frozen linesThere cost after market $400 parte + labor told me to dive it but pay attention to it not sure how I'll go crazy with all the little noises. Total cost towing $70 engine check $165
he told me to put gas additives in the tank , moth ***** in the engine compartment found a lot of nuts.
so now it's off to the shop and get it h home. Thanks guys for trying and let's hope it doesn't happen again

Old 01-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Veteran member

If warming up the car allowed it to start, then I would immediately drive it over to an auto parts store and put in a can of dry gas to try and get rid of whatever water you have in the tank and then find a quality gas station and fill up the tank again. It may be possible that you simply got some water in the tank if it was really low on a humid day and then it got cold (putting an ice plug in the fuel line).