X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Fault Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2005 Fault Codes

I'm looking at a very attractive 55K mile 2005 X with AWD as a possible purchase.
Had a dealer run a complete inspection. Though the car is running nicely, there were fault codes stored related to the throttle body.
I was told these might not be a problem - or might mean replacement of the throttle body.

ECU: P0222 and P0122
TCM: P1573

Would appreciate any insight available!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a tough one. Is the car for sale at a dealer where you could have legal recourse if things went bad quickly? If it is at a dealer it is possible they cleaned the engine and just got things wet that shouldn't get wet. Does the engine look super clean?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:24 PM

The car is for sale at a small wholesaler dealer - not a Jag dealer. It's a one-owner lease car. It is exceptionally clean inside and out including the engine so I imagine it might be possible that some things got wet. (There isn't a scratch on this car.)
I had the inspection done at the Jag dealer that has been servicing my other car. They looked up the records in their system and it appears this car was always serviced at dealers (but not at mine). Most recent recorded was the 40K at 44K miles. So at 55K it's due for some routine stuff. Their comment was that after clearing the codes, they might not reappear. Or they might. There is no indication of a problem when driving at any speeds or when starting. Idle sounds fine as well.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgewa
The car is for sale at a small wholesaler dealer - not a Jag dealer. It's a one-owner lease car. It is exceptionally clean inside and out including the engine so I imagine it might be possible that some things got wet. (There isn't a scratch on this car.)
I had the inspection done at the Jag dealer that has been servicing my other car. They looked up the records in their system and it appears this car was always serviced at dealers (but not at mine). Most recent recorded was the 40K at 44K miles. So at 55K it's due for some routine stuff. Their comment was that after clearing the codes, they might not reappear. Or they might. There is no indication of a problem when driving at any speeds or when starting. Idle sounds fine as well.
That's exactly why it's a tough one. It could just be that some over zealous detailer at the used car lot power washed the engine and got something wet. I can understand your Jag dealers reluctance in giving the car a clean bill of health. It could also be that someone cleared the codes to turn out the check engine light and get the car sold. If you have driven the car more than 50 miles or so in both city and highway driving where the throttle components actually got a chance to do their thing it is probably ok, you just never know. Most TPS codes(p0122) will cause instant limp home mode when the fault is occuring but that doesn't mean you couldn't shut the car off and restart to find it driving normally.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 PM

Thanks much - this is helping. I've driven the car about 50 miles total in town and on interstates on 2 days, 3 days apart with no troubles. The dealer where I had the inspection done found and cleared the fault codes but I've never seen the check light come on nor did they.

I do think it's likely the engine compartment was hosed down. It's awfully spotless for 55,000 miles.

I know that my dealer's detail shop never cleans engines that aggressively for exactly the reasons you mention. If cleaning caused the faults, is that normally self-healing?

My puzzle is, the car appears so perfect otherwise that it's priced near the upper end of its current $ range. Which would OK if it's not headed for a 4 figure repair right out of the gate. (I have seen a number of posts here and elsewhere about issues with the throttle position switch on X-Types.)

And just to make life interesting, my wife likes the car. And did I mention it's a wagon?