Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Jaguar X Type 3.0L - ECU Problems after Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Jaguar X Type 3.0L - ECU Problems after Engine Replacement

Hello Gurus/Pandits,

Respect to all , Following is the write up of the issue am facing after becoming a Jag Owner,

I ended up buying a 2005 Jaguar X Type 3.0L recently and this baby started having a knocking issue, in order to rectify that me and my mechanic decided to replace it with a used engine, we could assemble everything back and decided to start back the baby after pouring all the Oils and connections made,

1-> Car did not start and started smoking at the starter, so we went ahead and replaced the starter, then tried to start the engine back
2-> It did not crank well and the mechanic tried to turn the fly wheel of the engine, we took off the plenum, spark plugs, belt and starter, Engine Fly wheel started moving and the mechanic had deciphered that he had put similar look longer bolts on the starter which would have essentially locked the engine.
3> After assembling everything back we tried to start the car, It would Crank but doesn't start., We tried looking at all the connections, Fuel Line ( Fuel comes in) , Injectors ( Works fine) , Spark plugs ( Coils over spark plugs don't give any power on the Green/Blue wire - Which is 61 on ECU Diagram) , We had also changed the Crankshaft sensor thinking it was not sending the crank signal,

While i opened the ECU ECM it dint show any signs of burns or black smoke or any kind of smell,

My question is do i need to get the ECU re-programmed or flashed such that it reads the replaced engine instead of the Old one, or do you all think the ECU is completely

If so, please let me how that can be done or anything else that i need to do,

Am thinking the only option left is to get the ECU re-done or Re-Built where i called in people they all charge a lot, please let know if i can find a better and less costly solution...

Appreciate all your help and time...

Old 03-28-2014, 05:28 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum beshwar,

I think I'd have gone for an engine rebuild before a replacement engine but you are where you are with this now.

The Parts Catalogue lists 22 changes of ECU on the X-Type 3.0 litre:

2005 Jaguar X Type 3.0L - ECU Problems after Engine Replacement-x-type-ecu.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Do you know if the replacement engine came from a vehicle within the same VIN range? A successful re-flash could depend on having the correct compatible ECU to begin with.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
beshwar (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 12:22 AM

Graham thanks! for the info and the invite,

Yes, the engine belong to the same Vin Range considering that we bought a 2003 Engine,

Looks like we could got to a point today,

We went back again and tried to look at the Crank sensor signal ( We wanted to check if 5V charge, after inspecting it looks like the wire and insulation was cut, after we tried to put it back, Car started back,

We got very happy tried to move out of the garage at the end and faced with a new challenge, everything run perfect but the Reverse gear doesn't engage, I could feel gear change but the car doesnt move even a inch,

Please let me know if we are missing anything, mechanic was mentioning something about the servo and there should be have been some issue while filling the transmission fluid

Old 03-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

There is a bolt on the bottom of that transmission that looks like a drain plug but is not. I understand if you pull that bolt by mistake, you will lose reverse. You need to check that. It takes a tear down on the transmission to repair it, if that is what it is.

I put a 2003 engine in our 2002 and had zero trouble except I had to remove the old fuel from the tank. I won't run on fuel that is more than a few months old. Especially the 3 liter with it's higher CR.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (04-02-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 11:11 PM

if you are using the same transmission and it was working before the engine swap, I think your no reverse issue could be related to a shifter cable reset, do a search for shifter cable reseting or something like that.it could also be related to low transmission fluid.
That of course if your mechanich didnt remove the wrong draining bolt.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Default Oops the Mechanic refilled the transmission taking the drain plug look alike..

Hi Alfaveloce & Nahum, looks like the Mechanic refilled the transmission taking the drain plug look alike.. that's when the reverse stopped working,

He thought of little indigenously and bore a hole in the Drain plug look alike, inserted a pin to open up the collapsed springs that close of the drain once drain plug taken off, he inserted an other screen in the big screw so that nothing leaks off back,

Looks like this solution did not work, reverse did not engage it seems,

Please let me know if there is any solution than taking of the transmission apart,
Next thing I will ask is if he ( mechanic ) filled the transmission fluid completely

Thanks and appreciate all your comments and help again ,

Please let me know any ideas...