X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS failure after new wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS failure after new wheel bearings

Hello all! Current owner of a 2005 Jaguar Xtype 3.0L with 109k mi.

Left work last Thursday morning, started my car, pulled out & sigh~ severe grinding from my front drivers side.

Long story short, garage stated I needed front wheel bearings & rotors.

When I went to pick up the car Saturday morning, they said the car was "drivable" but that the ABS sensor was tripped, and the back wheels were reading +20mph than the front. They would need to refer me to a shop with more jaguar knowledge to see what the problem was.

When driving home, the speed difference was noticable, I could only pump the breaks, as any discernable pressure caused them to locimmediately. When taking a turn, the car stalled and I lost power steering. I've been reading the forums and it seems like this is a common problem when replacing wheel bearings.

Any advice is appreciated. The closest dealership is 200 miles away, however if that's my best bet I'll make it work.

I've bought the car in 2010 with 59k mi. Never had any service issues, replacing only the tires, brakes & regular oil changes.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Sounds like the shop installed the wheel bearings backwards. There is an inside and outside to the wheel bearings. That or they installed the wrong kind of bearing as the correct bearing has a special ring inside of it that the ABS speed sensor pics up. THe wrong bearing may cause the ABS sensor to pick up the roller bearings, leading to the speed difference.

Sounds like I would be asking a different shop to investigate the issue. Normally an ABS sensor works or it doesn't. They normally don't have a speed difference to them as it is counting the number of pulses relating to wheel speed and if the correct bearing is installed, the speed sensor should be seeing the correct number of pulses. If you put the wrong bearing it, it may have a different number of teeth which are what causes the pulses to occur.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

The ABS fault was likely the cause of the engine stall. You may also have a check engine light because of the ABS fault. For some unknown reason, the wizards at Jaguar decided to change the way the throttle is controlled when an ABS light is on (RPMs drop more quickly when throttle is released). Bottom line is fix the ABS issue first; the stalling should correct itself.

Not sure why your brakes lock when applying pressure. Perhaps the rotors or pads were not properly cleaned or got contaminated with brake fluid. This is not a common problem when replacing wheel bearings.

Any competent shop should be capable of properly installing wheel bearings and rotors. If the wheel bearings were installed backwards, unfortunately, you will need new bearings.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. The speciality shop had it figured in under 5 minutes. Turns out they installed the wrong type of wheel bearing. Said they should have it fixed & ready for me soon *fingers crossed*

Thanks again for the education. Definitely worth knowing if you're having any work done at a shop that isn't fluent in Jag.