X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC blows warm on drivers side and cold on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC blows warm on drivers side and cold on passenger side

I took the wifes 02 X-Type to get washed today and while I was waiting in line at idle, I noticed the AC got warm. I then felt the passenger side vents and they were very cold. The more I sat there at idle the more the drivers side warmed up while the passenger side stayed nice and cold. When they were done with the wash and I finally was able to get in and drive away, the drivers side seemed to cool down some, but still not near the passenger sides temp. Definately cooler when driving as opposed to idle, but still not as cold as what the passenger side seemed to stay regardless if idle or moving.

What's causing this? Do I need a charge on my AC system?

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 PM

Hey, Longhorn. Do a search within the X-type forum and you'll find some threads that discuss the problem being stuck doors within the ductwork. I haven't had that issue yet, so can't offer you advice any better than within those threads. My 03 X is sitting the summer out inside my garage since the a/c compressor clutch fell off the car (apparently a not unheard of issue). If you're handy with tools, you might want to Lock-tite the center nut on the compressor clutch assembly.

Tx Ag

Old 07-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

youre low on freon, common symptom for low freon charge

Old 07-29-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm getting a recharge this weekend. It's getting hot here in Texas and I need to wife to stay cooooool.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:11 PM

Also, from the research I've done, it appears that if the AC charge doesn't resolve the issue, it's probably the blend door actuator that's causing the problem. The question I have regarding this is I've found a TSB for Jaguar for this problem. The nice thing is it also gives the manufacturers steps to resolve the issue. If anyone is interested, it can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/eb...202442_tsb.pdf

My X-Type is an '02 and it fits in the range of the VIN# shown in the TSB. Does that mean I can take this to my Jag dealer and they will fix this without cost to me?

Thanks again!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by jestered
also, from the research i've done, it appears that if the ac charge doesn't resolve the issue, it's probably the blend door actuator that's causing the problem. The question i have regarding this is i've found a tsb for jaguar for this problem. The nice thing is it also gives the manufacturers steps to resolve the issue. If anyone is interested, it can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/eb...202442_tsb.pdf

my x-type is an '02 and it fits in the range of the vin# shown in the tsb. Does that mean i can take this to my jag dealer and they will fix this without cost to me?

Thanks again!
no it does not, you still pay, that blend door being stuck open does not make it cold on 1 side and not the other. It makes it all warm cause its trying to lower outside 100*+ air to verify if its broke, turn on the recirc button on the ac control panel. Remove the wiper cowl to access the pollen filter. Pull out the pollen filter and you should see a white rectangular door thats closed. If you look in and see the fan, the door mechanism is broken. If you pull out a couple pieces of the grid you can slip your fingers in there and pull the door down and close it. It wont open again and you wont be breathing hot, polution laden austin air anymore and the ac will be working again

Old 07-30-2010, 12:05 PM

Ok. It sounds like the blend door is not the problem then. I'll be getting the AC recharged tomorrow. Sorry for the newb questions, and I really appreciate you guys giving up your knowledge!

Thanks again!

Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM

Also the biggest leak point on an X is the ac compressor, followed by the ac line that runs behind the bumper cover just above the under tray on the front pass side of the car almost directly straight down from the high beam headlight. theres a torx bolt the attaches the undertray to the bumper cover and it tends to get pushed up into the ac line and wear a hole in it. check both areas.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:27 PM

Will do. Thanks again Brutal!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 PM

Brutal,

You obviously know your business. What do you think about my proposed method of attack regarding my missing a/c clutch?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=39651

thanks!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by SeTex
Brutal,

You obviously know your business. What do you think about my proposed method of attack regarding my missing a/c clutch?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=39651

thanks!
boy does this bring back memories. Unfortunalty I just sold 3 compressors(leakers) to rebuilders or I could have sold you what you needed. I may across more soon though. Youcan swap the plate and yes it does have to be shimmed to get the correct clearance

Old 07-31-2010, 06:35 PM

Appreciate the good thoughts. I found a used one available over the net for $149, so I think I'm going to go ahead and get that one and attempt a cannabilization. Do you off hand know the clearance limits? If not, I will find it or measure the one I get before robbing it.