X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC compressor out or in need of a recharge?? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC compressor out or in need of a recharge?? Please help

Ok So I am literally driving through Death Valley on Thursday and I realized my AC is out. I live in Seattle and don't really use the AC, yet it makes since that I almost died cause I couldn't see when the defroster wasn't working during heavy rain on the freeway, but I had read that the X type's defroster's weren't a strong point somewhere. Anyways I believe the compressor may need to be replaced as it makes no noise whatsoever when I turn the AC on, I fear that I am screwed while driving through the center of the Sun in a black car with black leather and no tint, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mugatu; 08-12-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

There has to be at least some charge in the system for the compressor to engage. I assume you don't have gauges or you would have measured it. So if we assume you have no Freon in the system, it's a safe bet you have a leak. If it is a slow leak you might get by for your trip by putting a couple of cans in there. But I hate to do that without knowing if the system has charge or not, and if you are dealing with a fine leak or a gross leak.

Up to you, you can try adding a can and see if that gets the compressor turning. If it is dead empty, you will need two cans to fully charge.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by AlfaVeloce
There has to be at least some charge in the system for the compressor to engage. I assume you don't have gauges or you would have measured it. So if we assume you have no Freon in the system, it's a safe bet you have a leak. If it is a slow leak you might get by for your trip by putting a couple of cans in there. But I hate to do that without knowing if the system has charge or not, and if you are dealing with a fine leak or a gross leak.

Up to you, you can try adding a can and see if that gets the compressor turning. If it is dead empty, you will need two cans to fully charge.
Thanks so much for you help man, tried to fill it,it was dry, compressor comes on now but still no cool air, San Diego is hot as hell and I'm miserable but oh well Jaguar of Carlsbad wants way to much just to look at it so I will just suffer!

Old 08-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Wish it was better news. You need to get some gauges on that thing and see what it's doing. Did you get two cans in?

Here is what I would look for on the gauges:
Normal operation would be 35 +/- 10 or so psi on the low side and 280 +/- 25 psi on the high pressure side. I suspect you are not in the normal range.

Lets say the low side pressure is less than 25 psi and the high side is way too high. Then you have a clog somewhere, and dollars to donuts it is the screen on the orifice tube that is clogged with crap-ola.

On the other hand the low side might be way over 40 or so psi but the high side is way, way less than 250 psi. In that case, most likely the compressor is shot. It's not pumping anything.

Off the gauges, do you have any green slime dripping off all over the compressor? You may have to jack up the front to see. If you do have green slime, the shaft seals are gone on your compressor. I replace compressors when that happens. More than likely that is where your leak started.

There is an overpressure pop-off valve screwed into the tubing manifold that is bolted to the compressor. It just looks like a small bolt with a tiny hole in the middle of it. I had one of those go bad once and leak. If that happens, an AC shop will sell you one and they are all pretty much the same. Test it with soapy water. If it's leaking it will bubble.

Use care and caution around all this. You are dealing with dangerous high pressures and hot things. I've been injured fiddling with it. You can be, too.

Another thought, make sure all those flaps and doors in the air handler are working correctly. The ones that direct cabin air, recirculation, left right center vents, and blending the heated and cooled air to set the cabin temperature. If that is stuck on full hot then the AC is not going to be able to overcome that.

Last edited by AlfaVeloce; 08-24-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Wish it was better news. You need to get some gauges on that thing and see what it's doing. Did you get two cans in?

Normal operation would be 35 +/- 10 or so psi on the low side and 280 +/- 25 psi on the high pressure side. I suspect you are not in the normal range.
Not looking to challenge anyone here - but I felt it necessary to point out the following - for the novice person attempting to check pressures via manifold gauges:

That 280 psi +/- 25 number you mentioned for the high side is way too high under normal conditions... (unless ambient temperature is around 95 - 100 degrees F at time of checking)

Remember, pressures vary due to ambient temperature.

Let's say:

80 degrees F - low side: 40 to 50 psi and high side: 175 to 210 psi

95 degrees F - low side: 50 to 55 psi and high side: 275 to 310 psi

Regardless - gauges are the only way to ensure the system is properly charged. Over charging the system will prevent the compressor from engaging. (high pressure cut off)

Last edited by abonano; 08-24-2013 at 04:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mugatu (08-27-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

He said in was in San Diego. And earlier in Death Valley.
It's freakin' August there right now. It was 130 deg F there the other day.
I'm just sayin'...

Mugatu (08-27-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

He said in was in San Diego. And earlier in Death Valley.
It's freakin' August there right now. It was 130 deg F there the other day.
I'm just sayin'...
Hot stuff..... I wouldn't want to try and recharge the AC in Death Valley heat...

Mugatu (08-27-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah! The only thing I like to do in Death Valley in August is NOT be there! LOL

Mugatu (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 AM

Lets say the low side pressure is less than 25 psi and the high side is way too high. Then you have a clog somewhere, and dollars to donuts it is the screen on the orifice tube that is clogged with crap-ola.

On the other hand the low side might be way over 40 or so psi but the high side is way, way less than 250 psi. In that case, most likely the compressor is shot. It's not pumping anything.

Off the gauges, do you have any green slime dripping off all over the compressor? You may have to jack up the front to see. If you do have green slime, the shaft seals are gone on your compressor. I replace compressors when that happens. More than likely that is where your leak started.

There is an overpressure pop-off valve screwed into the tubing manifold that is bolted to the compressor. It just looks like a small bolt with a tiny hole in the middle of it. I had one of those go bad once and leak. If that happens, an AC shop will sell you one and they are all pretty much the same. Test it with soapy water. If it's leaking it will bubble.

Use care and caution around all this. You are dealing with dangerous high pressures and hot things. I've been injured fiddling with it. You can be, too.

Another thought, make sure all those flaps and doors in the air handler are working correctly. The ones that direct cabin air, recirculation, left right center vents, and blending the heated and cooled air to set the cabin temperature. If that is stuck on full hot then the AC is not going to be able to overcome that.

Hey thanks so much, I am staying with a friend in an Apartment complex so I have to wait to head to a friends shop to inspect! He"s a Mazda certified mechanic so hopefully he can read your posts and solve something, I only put one can in it had a gauge and my brother who is somewhat mechanically inclined put it in!!! I will keep you guys updated, I really appreciate the advice!!! Luckily we went through the desert in the wee hours of the morning so it wasn't too bad, the grapevine was hell lol thanks again everyone!!

Old 09-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any resolution here? I'm having a similar problem....no compressor sound kicking in....not getting current to the compressor...

Old 09-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nycxtype
Any resolution here? I'm having a similar problem....no compressor sound kicking in....not getting current to the compressor...
Going back to my post above, there must be at least some pressure (some Freon) in the system. If no pressure is there, no Freon is present. That will keep the the clutch on the compressor from being energized. No voltage will be present at the clutch.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are still in the Puget Sound area I suggest a visit to Pacific Auto Air in Tacoma. Just had my 2005 there and at 90K miles it needed a new compressor. Much less $$ than any dealer. AC is often better handled by AC shops by any make's dealers.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:39 AM

Sorry no resolution as of yet, Suffered through summer in San Diego, will hopefully check it out in a few weeks, my fan control module is being replaced this week though as my fans stopped working abruptly. I was told that this may fix my a/c compressor issue, doubtful but lets hope. Thanks for the responses guys! Oh and WedgeWA, ya never went back to Seattle, decided to move to San Diego! But I appreciate the suggestion, may use them someday in the future!