X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Problems!

First time poster here. I'll have to save the introductions for later. Here's the problem.

My wife's X-type(2002 3.0) needed an AC compressor. The clutch was busted(pieces missing). First compressor replaced. I did not replace the suction accumulator. Lasted a few days and then my wife sensed hot air. I went to look at it and the compressor clutch was slipping about every 10-20 sec for about 5 secs and then would engage again. Took it to a couple of shops that told me the compressor was damaged.
2nd compressor in. I had a shop evac/recharge the system and told them the compressor just had the oil it was shipped with. I broke in the compressor according to the instructions. A day later, same thing. The cutch slips about every 20 seconds after the car warms up. I even swapped relays with a known good one. Is the clutch not broken in? Something I did? I'm about to get some voltages but before I do, I decided to register to see if anybody's dealt with this.
I'm thinking this is what's been wrong with the car from the get go. I'm thinking my problem actually killed the original compressor.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Default Update

So I checked the signal going to the compressor. Even with the clutch "slipping", it was getting a steady 12.4 Volts. I was thinking that something was causing the compressor not to get 12V(Pressure transducer?). The gap on the clutch seemed to be at the low side at .013". JTIS suggests between .014 and .03". Could the gap be my problem? I'm thinking that the closer to the pulley, the better? Could it be the accumulator?
I realize I'm not an expert. I'm running out of options. Any help would be appreciated.

PS
I live in Phoenix, If anybody knows a good AC shop... Let me know.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Bauldee, did you flush out the system of any particulate? It is possible that you have some metal shavings or other items in there and the particulates are causing the clutch/compressor to fail. There are no other moving parts in the system, hence why you are not seeing problems elsewhere. These particulates would also not come out of the system when it was evacuated.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:06 PM

Thermo

...I'm starting to think that. I wasn't sure if the compressor actually failed. I thought it was just the clutch. I'll be looking into the drier and orifice tube and see if I find something.

Thanks for the reply.
P.