X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket ARB for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Aftermarket ARB for our cars?

Is there such a thing? From Hotchkis Suspension?

Old 10-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag4
Is there such a thing? From Hotchkis Suspension?
As far as I know I have the only aftermarket anti roll bars for the X Type in the world, for sure in the country. I had them custom made because they're aren't any major suspension companies making direct replacement units.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by X-TypeMentality
As far as I know I have the only aftermarket anti roll bars for the X Type in the world, for sure in the country. I had them custom made because they're aren't any major suspension companies making direct replacement units.
X-Type, Not right away, but I can see I need to find a machinist. It handles ok now but it gets a bit sketchy when pitching left, right, left and right. Thanks

Old 10-16-2017, 10:24 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a set of front and rear ARB's made in 2010 for my first X-Type and they made a huge difference in how it behaved in the turns but I had some issues with them as well. I am very interested in hearing about your experience. What sizes did you go with, how are the rears fastened? What did you do about your front swaybar brackets? Who did you go with for sourcing your ARB's?
My thread is so old my pics don't even show up any more - I think I dropped that website for hosting. I might be able to find them if anybody is interested.

As to the issues I was experiencing the rear anti-roll bar end links had a tendency to break. Constantly. They weren't designed to handle the increased torsional loading due to the higher rates on the bigger bars.
Originally the front ARB's were too long and they hit the half-shafts - I had the company make a second set that were a little shorter that didn't hit. Also the front ARB brackets were an issue for the company I contracted because evidently (according to them) they did not know how to make brackets that weren't the same height as the ARB bushings. They had to give me 'smaller' bushings that fit in the stock ARB brackets and I had the brackets strengthened with some extra material to stand up to track use.

I'm torn on whether to contact the company to try to get another set made as I'm on my second X-Type and I'm currently shopping for a manual X-Type for racing next year. My current X-Type has the sport suspension and I'm not as interested in ARB's for this one as I like the way it rides - the first one had the comfort suspension and the bigger ARB's REALLY woke it up in the corners and on the track.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (09-27-2020)
Old 10-16-2017, 12:06 PM

Here's what I was talking about with regards to issues:

The bar would snap the threaded portions of the rear ARB end links off due to increased forces involved. I'm currently looking at other options for the next car.

I broke both the front sway bar brackets and had some stock ones beefed up to handle the increased forces.

Panthro (09-27-2020)
Old 10-17-2017, 01:11 PM

That's awesome man I never knew anyone other than myself had a see made. I used a company called Carolina Swaybar Manufacturing. I had the rear bar redisgned to accept a Mazda Speed3 end link because they make aftermarket adjuatable links, I went with Whiteline brand. I haven't had any problems with the fronts at all, the company who made my sway bars made brackets for it as well as provide the poly bushings. I have had no problems until recently hitting a hard left the right rear sway bar mount broke clean off the car so I'm currently working on a better replacement for the mounts out back.

I went with 25mm in front and 22mm in back but much stronger steel.

Front bar output is 25mm with 661lbs/inch on soft setting and 860lbs/inch on the stiff setting.

Rear bar output is 22mm with 1065lbs/inch on soft setting and 1385lbs on the stiffer setting.

Stock outputs are front sway bar is 19mm and 271lbs/inch.
Rear sway bar is 19-20mm with 591lbs/inch

As you know it made a huge difference in capability!

Panthro (09-27-2020)
Old 10-17-2017, 01:23 PM

Absolutely - the difference was night and day! If possible could you provide prices and pics? I may just order a set of yours as IIRC the roll rates are similar to mine, although mine were fixed.
Awesome! So glad somebody else did what I did and agrees what a difference it makes.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:31 PM

I don't have too many pictures but you can see from this picture that both arms have 2 mount holes for soft or stiff.

I'm not sure if they will make single units again. When I had this done I was looking for interest in the forums but I would have had to purchase 5 sets minimum and no one seemed interested.... I paid roughly $800 with the R&D, manufacturing and shipment on the prototypes but I would have been able to offer the bars individually for $300 and $550 for the set which included bushings and stainless brackets with zerks.

I'll search for more pictures...

The following 2 users liked this post by X-TypeMentality:
chknhwk (10-22-2017), Panthro (09-27-2020)
Old 10-18-2017, 09:13 AM

Here's another one that shows the rear link mount and how it goes through the arm rather than threading into it like factory. Much much stronger and the end link is adjustable. Adds like $100 to the cost of the rear because you have to buy additional parts to make my design work.

The following 2 users liked this post by X-TypeMentality:
chknhwk (10-22-2017), Panthro (09-27-2020)
Old 10-22-2017, 05:09 AM

Just for curiosity's sake you should contact them and ask about a group buy - see how much it would cost if we do 5-10 sets. I know there was interest in the past, we might be able to drum up some more. I know I'd be in for 1-2 sets, depending upon the time frame.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:29 PM

Here's another one that shows the rear link mount and how it goes through the arm rather than threading into it like factory. Much much stronger and the end link is adjustable. Adds like $100 to the cost of the rear because you have to buy additional parts to make my design work.
Sweet setup