X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbags

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airbags

An airbag (from a recycling center) is about $350. Sounds like the insurance company is selling prescription drugs - the deductable is more than the real cost of the product!

I think it will be perfectly safe once replaced, however you could always get a lawyer and get a better deal than just not paying your deductable! I think its BS you have to pay a deductable, regardless of your warrantee status.

I’ve see the opposite problem, a Hyundai was hit in the front and the impact severed the wires or destroyed the front impact sensor and the air bags did not deploy. A freak thing (I like Hyundai’s) at a high volume Hyundai repair workshop.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 PM

Again, why are you paying the deductable? In my opinion they should be paying you.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea man... that is definitely not cool... a seatbelt hitting the car from the inside... deploying the bags? Something is going on there...
That is a big safety hazard like was said before...
let us know what they tell you...
I'm being careful with my seatbelts from now on...

Old 07-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Please correct me if I am wrong, but first, for an airbag to deploy, you need atleast 2 sensors to be actuated to get an airbag to deploy. Secondly, the sensors are mounted to the frame of the car, so, the frame has to take a significant bump to trigger the sensor, not simply a seat belt buckle contacting the inerior trim piece because it slipped out of your hand. Thirdly, the sensor require an impact of like 5 G's to be triggered. So, a simple bump isn't enough to trigger the sensor. If it was, any time you hit a pothole, the airbags would deploy. So, based on these three things, it sounds like the Airbag module is either faulty or you have a sensor that is faulty and you managed to be unlucky with the seatbelt striking the pillar.

Not to mention that if only 1 airbag deployed, then it wasn't the electronics that trigged the airbag. It was a matter of the airbag that deployed was defective and released with the impact. That isn't right either. Any which way you look at it, defective equipment should be fixed by the people that built it.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman

Old 07-10-2008, 05:14 PM

Thermo - Very good points!
FYI: Repair shops routinely replace airbags, locked seatbelts and reset the computer / modules. The (airbag) system goes through a self check every time the car is started. However, there is something very wrong here. In my opinion Catscan should not settle with the response from the Dealership/ Jaguar.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would get the damage fixed and then not have the side air bag turned on or connected..to hell with it..we didn't have before and most cars now still don't have them..