X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm/Central Locking Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alarm/Central Locking Issue...

It's kinda cold up here in Maine - especially this morning when it was 9 degrees, and my door was locked.

I guess I should give you a little background: I am missing the remote, so I have been using just the key with no problems at all whatsoever.

Anyways, super cold this morning, I went out to the car to unlock it, and the lock was a little tight. I turned it a little further, and the alarm went off, but the door unlocked. I hopped in, crammed the key in the ignition and started the car. No problems, right?

Went throughout the day, not noticing anything out of the ordinary - although in hindsight, I did - it just didn't register in my mind: the two stage door lock function isn't working properly. Now, when I lock or unlock the doors, it unlocks all of them with a single turn, instead of two turns to unlock all. The single part of the two stage lock which unlocks only the driver's side isn't working.

Barely a second look throughout the day.

I went out to the car a few minutes ago and noticed, lo and behold, there's no alarm light flashing in the center console. I unlocked the car, noticed there's no flashes from the lights when I turned the key... then it registered in my head that the lock system also wasn't working properly.

Duh.

I've been poring over the forum for the past couple of hours trying to find something, anything that is slightly close to this problem to no avail - short of tearing off the door panel, and poking around inside.

Sooooo... anyone who could give me some advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-14-2014, 10:55 PM

Oh yeah, forgot: 2002 X-Type, 2,5L, very basic... for a Jag.

Just fixed my signature. =)

Old 03-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Default Anyone...

...have any ideas? It would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Matty,
You have me puzzled too, are you able to start the car and all else is fine?
If there are no other issues, I am sure you have triggered the security of the car.
I would try a hard reset by disconnecting the battery then trying her?

The main advice I would say is to be cautious if you are alone and the weather is severe as you don't want to be caught out and be prone to a worse scenario.

If that works okay, then when you are able, try an OBD II scanner to see if there are any issues.

I hope that helps?

Best regards, Stu

Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Matty,

Greetings from Maine.
I know what you mean about the wicked weather, this has been a crazy year. Stu is quite right about doing any experiments or tests in cold weather. I'll bet it would take AAA an hour or more to get to you in Rockland with a slim-jim and wedge.

I don't have any answers to your questions but it sounds like the rain/freeze/snow/freeze cycles that we are having have contributed to the locks acting up due to moisture seepage. It's a shame we haven't had any 50+ degree days to test the system lock solenoids - perhaps one of them is bound up.

I have a different year, model and option package than you do, otherwise I'd suggest which relays and fuses to carefully inspect. And I have an OBDII scanner to loan if you are are in the greater Portland area anytime soon.

The dealer in Scarborough gets about $100 or more to rig up a new remote too. I know...I asked them last fall when I thought I wanted a second one. I've since learned to live with one remote fob and a generic un-programmable door key as a safety back-up.

Good luck and I wish you were closer or we could work on it together.
Tom

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 AM

Hey!

Thanks, Stu and Pinecone, for your replies.

Yea, definitely cold out - after yesterday with the wind whipping around and now today, at about 20 degrees with blasting wind - and being about 300 feet from the edge of the ocean - kind of does do crazy things to cars, especially temperamental Jaguars!

Yes, the car starts and runs beautifully - even at its advanced mileage of 180K, she runs around like a little girl in a field collecting wild flowers.

Just no alarm system. Soooo, today, bundled up, I'll try the reset by disconnecting the battery and hope for the best!

Thank you both again!

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (03-27-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 07:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Mines been playing up for a while, I think when part of the locking gets out of sync lots of issues start to arise, some doors lock some don't, alarms inconsistent, so I decided to attack mine today. After removing the door card and peeling some of the insulation back. I found that there is a grey rubber block on the side of the actuator it just acts as a buffer between the actuator and the door panel. Looking at the seating marks on it, gave the appearance that the actuator had moved slightly, only about 2-3mm, but enough to shorten the non adjustable cable slightly and I presumed enough to stop the lock being pushed forward enough to engage and disengage properly.

I undid the 3 torx bolts on the edge of the door that holds the actuator in place, and re positioned it where the grey block seemed it should be (slightly forward) I tightened the torx bolts while holding the actuator in position, it seems to have solved the problem at this stage.

This is also a good time to adjust the outside door handle if needed. Looking inside the door panel by the actuator there are 2 rods hanging down, 1 has a square white cap on it this can be eased of by pulling (just a plastic securing clip) the rod is threaded but doesn't screw on, it's just a push fit into grooves in the black bracket. By extending the visible thread (ease out of the bracket lift up the rod slightly then clip back in) put back on the white cap. You now have less travel on the exterior handle.

I also took the opportunity to disengage the automatic drive away locking function as I feel the central locking system is over complicated on these cars. With all the locking and unlocking this function entails I feel it can only accelerate the failure of the locking system eventually, which at best could be described as temperamental.

This is done by sitting in the car, Ignition in position 2, lock and unlock the door (with the interior lock button) 3 times. Turn ignition off and lock and unlock 3 times again. Turn back to position 2, lock and unlock once, there should be a chime, turn off ignition job done.
The whole process needs to be carried out quickly and if you wish to revert back to drive away locking just repeat the same process.

Hope there is something of help in this extended post

Last edited by Poundy; 03-30-2014 at 08:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Poundy:
Stuart Beattie (03-30-2014), Tiger88 (06-04-2014)