X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All doors unlocking at once

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 10:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All doors unlocking at once

Previously when I pushed the unlock button on the fob, the driver door only would unlock, then after pushing the fob button again, all the other doors would unlock. This is the desired operation. However after much locking and unlocking while trying to revive a dying fob, now all the doors unlock with a single push of the button. I do not want this. How do I get the "Drivers door only, unlocks with a single push of the remote" feature back. All doors have and do always work flawlessly, including the feature, until today.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:09 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Procedure to reprogram key fob is in your manual.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

I would try a hard reset. Remove the negative battery cable and hold it against the positive battery cable. Doing that will clear the modules and set all values at the default settings.
The idle will be a little rough when first starting as the engine management system adjust to the settings, and the windows will need to be reset.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

By the way; the door locks don't actually open all at once; they go in sequence around the car; since you are in the US, it will be driver (the only one that normally opens on a single pulse); the double pulse command opens all four in order (driver, front passenger, rear passenger, rear driver).

Since the driver is already unlocked, it doesn't make a difference if it cycles open again.

In the UK, the programming is slightly different, starting with left front, but the sequence is the same.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:53 PM

I've seen many posts where the problem was that the doors did not lock, or unlock at all. some suggestions dealt with spray lubricants, and repeated locking, and unlocking. My concern is that my "feature" was actually a glitch, that was inadvertently corrected by the dozens of lock/unlock cycles I put the car thru trying to get the dead fob to function correctly. (It would lock, but not unlock the doors) When it would not unlock with the bad fob, I would use a good one to unlock it. My followup question is, therefore, is the "driver door unlock only" a bonafide feature? I need confirmation on this before I start reprogramming/resetting things. I can live with it as is, but it was nice to know I could open the one door on my side without giving individuals in sketchy looking neighborhoods access to the other side in so doing. All responses appreciated.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:39 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3ra
By the way; the door locks don't actually open all at once; they go in sequence around the car; since you are in the US, it will be driver (the only one that normally opens on a single pulse); the double pulse command opens all four in order (driver, front passenger, rear passenger, rear driver).

Since the driver is already unlocked, it doesn't make a difference if it cycles open again.

In the UK, the programming is slightly different, starting with left front, but the sequence is the same.
The OPs car USED to do this. NOW the car unlocks ALL DOORS AT ONCE!!!!!!!!!!! (please read the first post)

Previously when I pushed the unlock button on the fob, the driver door only would unlock, then after pushing the fob button again, all the other doors would unlock.

This can be configured EITHER WAY.

Sequential UNLOCKING is the standard but ALL the doors can be unlocked at once if that convenience feature is enabled.

Bizmuth Helm
It IS a configurable feature. I guess your car forgot the configuration. You might need to RE-configure the sequential locking.

WDS,IDS,AutoLogic,AutoEnginuity etc will be needed to configure.

bob

Old 06-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

That is what I was saying; the car "forgot" the single click = driver's door, or the remote is strobing and sending multiple signals on a single push of the button.

The remote keypad has a debounce circuit that can fail, too.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

I'll be brave and suggest a different solution to that of Motorcarman (whose guidance over the years has been invaluable to so many of us!!), but my hand book gives the following information

Selecting single-stage or two-stage unlocking

The procedure for changing from
single-stage to two-stage unlocking, or
vice versa, is as follows:
• Press and hold the lock and unlock
buttons on the key transmitter
simultaneously for four seconds.
Note: The direction indicators will flash
twice to confirm the procedure was
successful.
To revert to the previous condition, repeat
the procedure described above.

I would think you carried out that process by accident when you were repeatedly pressing the buttons.

The following 5 users liked this post by astromorg:
Bizmuth Helm (09-03-2017), Lcgi (07-02-2017), motorcarman (09-03-2017), Peter_of_Australia (04-06-2023), wa3ra (06-27-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by astromorg
I'll be brave and suggest a different solution to that of Motorcarman (whose guidance over the years has been invaluable to so many of us!!), but my hand book gives the following information

Selecting single-stage or two-stage unlocking

The procedure for changing from
single-stage to two-stage unlocking, or
vice versa, is as follows:
• Press and hold the lock and unlock
buttons on the key transmitter
simultaneously for four seconds.
Note: The direction indicators will flash
twice to confirm the procedure was
successful.
To revert to the previous condition, repeat
the procedure described above.
This procedure was the answer to my issue. I guess in my frustration I held the lock and unlock buttons(possibly even on the separate remotes I was fooling with) long enough to switch the feature to the "single pulse" state. I switched it back without any further adoo. I however found that the safety aspect might not be worth the hastle of double tapping to get in the back seat, where I put my lunch pail for work.(Yes this is my daily driver, and I work construction, so the comments i get are varied and endless)

Old 09-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

The lesson to be learned here : the owner's manual is your friend and should be consulted first.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:59 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I never learned that when I went to NP02 (New Product 2002) dealer training.
Good to know!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

bob

Old 09-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

I prefer google and forum

Old 09-03-2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
The lesson to be learned here : the owner's manual is your friend and should be consulted first.
Unfortunately, the glove box was empty when I bought this beauty. I had to join this forum just to figure out how to tune the radio to my local stations. I have since found and downloaded digital versions of the books I should have gotten, as well as the service manual. They are full of great info, but the tedium of clicking thru hundreds of digital pages, as opposed to flipping thru hard copy, (which I prefer) makes it infinitely easier, and mutually beneficial to simply ask the community with a well titled thread. now yet another obscure question, asked and answered is only a simple keyword search away. Knowing what not to do can be as important as what to do.