Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp Remote Wire.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Remote Wire.....

Hey guys...

I added a non-factory amp into my car about a year ago, and everything was working find up until today. Turns the remote cable is not giving the amp power to turn on... I know the amp is getting power from the battery and the cables are connected correctly because with a bridge the connections between the remote and the power, the amp turns on. I cant leave it like that because then amp will stay on 24/7 and lead to a dead battery.

I had the remote cable previously hooked upto the cigar lighter because when the car turns on, it turns on so therefore it was a good idea. But now it doesnt seem to work. Does anyone have any tips how i can try to remote cable and see if there any breaks in the cable? Any other places in the car that i can tap it into?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Received 66 Likes on 30 Posts

i put a 8" sub in my girlfriends corolla. followed the battery + cable and it led to a "distribution block". i used a ring fastener on one end of a small wire, attached to distribution block, ran it through the firewall, wired in a 10amp fuse, then to an on/off toggle switch i mounted under the dash, then ran it straight to the amp. now she can select to turn the amp on, with car on or off.

as far as yours goes, if all was well before check the fuse for the cigar lighter, it might have blown. if not the remote wire may be faulty, cracked, exposed, moisture...

best option for replacing and stock appearance would be to run the remote wire from the amp back the the head unit, and splice it into the accessory wire, which turn the head unit on when car is started, and would automatically turn on your amp every time cd player is turned on.

not sure where else we could tap in for power to an amp, ive heard theres a power supply in the trunk that is usually unused, like cd changer, factory amp, or trailor hitch connecting wires. have not seen these myself but i still look sometimes...

stevis05

Old 01-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

gupdah, if you are questioning whether the remote wire is good, what you need to do is to first disconnect it from the dash point (ie, cigar lighter). Once you do that, go back to your amp, disconnect the remote turn on wire and then ground that to the body of the car. From here, you can do a simple resistance check between the wire and the body of the car. if you are getting an open, then you know the wire is bad. if you get a short, then the wiring is good.

It may be very possible that you have a problem in the remote turn on circuit and it is blowing fuses due to pulling too much current. If in doubt, reconnect the turn on wire and then connect the multimeter (set to an amperage setting-preferably 10 amp scale) in series with the turn on wire and then see what sort of current you are drawing. It should be down around 500 mA (0.5 amps) at most. if you are up in the 1-2 amp range, PROBLEM!!!!!!