X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autozone gold battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Autozone gold battery

Has anyone bought a duralast gold battery in the past year?

Old 10-01-2018, 04:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Dr. Dome, if you look at all the batteries that your local auto parts place sells, look at the plastic cases that they sit in. For a style of battery, they will all be in 1 of 2 cases. The cases may be a different color and obviously they will have different stickers on them. My point is, there are only 2 battery manufacturers in the US (Johnson Controls and Exide). They make the batteries for everyone else and slap a different sticker on the outside. what separates a $150 battery from a $90 battery is the warrantee. Are you willing to take a gamble and see how long the battery will last without having to need to use the warrantee.

If it tells you anything, I buy the cheapest battery that they have. I know enough about batteries that short of an internal problem (which will normally show itself in about 6 months), I can make most batteries last atleast 6 years, if not longer. it is all in doing an annual discharge of the battery to the point that it is just capable of starting the car. This will burn off the crusties that build up inside the battery, causing it to fail.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

I had a crusty once, but then I took a shower and washed it away......:-) :-) :-) :-)

Old 10-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

I bought a parts car with a battery that is only a year old. The guy at autozone told me it bad but he needs a phone # to put in the battery claim. I am just tryn to get a new battery out of the crap they sell. Lol

Old 10-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

They can scan the barcode and pull up the phone number. I know my autozone manager quite well. He did it for me but is against the rules. Same situation. Maybe hit the manager up about it in private. The battery itself is so so. I like tractor supply or.......i hate to say it.....walmart exide

Old 10-03-2018, 12:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The wife drives the jag almost entirely so I get the best battery for her safety. Interstate batteries are the best in my opinion. Good warranty too!

Old 10-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Wal-Mart also will also scan the battery's bar code to check the age and honor the warranty without needing to present a receipt. Most other retailers honor the warranty without a receipt by using the month / year circular sticker on the battery. This manufacturer's date is usually 1-3 months older than when the battery was 1st purchased and installed, if bought at a high volume retail store.

Here in Houston, batteries last only 2 1/2 - 3 years because the water evaporates from engine and ambient heat. The exception is my Mercedes with a 6 year old battery in the trunk, away from engine heat. For the Jaguar, I bought Walmart's EverStart Max because the warranty is 3 years full replacement, prorated for years 4 & 5. As Thermo says, the price is a little higher than brands with a better warranty - worth it for an X-Type in Houston that needs a new battery every 2 1/2 to 3 years.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by dwclapp
Wal-Mart also will also scan the battery's bar code to check the age and honor the warranty without needing to present a receipt. Most other retailers honor the warranty without a receipt by using the month / year circular sticker on the battery. This manufacturer's date is usually 1-3 months older than when the battery was 1st purchased and installed, if bought at a high volume retail store.

Here in Houston, batteries last only 2 1/2 - 3 years because the water evaporates from engine and ambient heat. The exception is my Mercedes with a 6 year old battery in the trunk, away from engine heat. For the Jaguar, I bought Walmart's EverStart Max because the warranty is 3 years full replacement, prorated for years 4 & 5. As Thermo says, the price is a little higher than brands with a better warranty - worth it for an X-Type in Houston that needs a new battery every 2 1/2 to 3 years.
ditto on walmart. I have the top everstart in my str...marine in 2 boats and a forklift that sits for 30 days or more...never had to replace one under warranty. Good luck plus a good battery

Old 08-03-2022, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr dome
Has anyone bought a duralast gold battery in the past year?
Hey Dr dome! Sorry to post this here, i just amdr ana account and it said I wasn't allowed to send you a PM. I need help with a sort for my x type - it's the actuator shaft for the defrost door. If you could help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Old 01-27-2024, 08:29 AM
Received 198 Likes on 108 Posts

The CTEK chargers have a feature that lets you do a deep renew and doing that once or twice a year on my now 6yo battery has made it work great (AGM). I think that if you take care of an AGM battery, they can last quite a long time...especially if you start out at 96AH....or whatever and only need 60 to do things....even if you lose 2 per year you are good for a long time.

I like knowing that if I park my car at the airport for a week, and it is under 20 degrees F the whole time, that I'll be able to start the car and get home at 11pm when I get to it again on a Sunday night.... Just me.

I have the original Jaguar battery in the garage too, did the CTEK "renew" thing and had it test in the garage and they said it was in good shape. One needs to wonder how much of this is to sell more batteries. .....

I wish my AG battery had not caused my car to have a brain fart or something...I bought one and could afford the tax....it just flailed on me. Dealer checked it all out, and it was not me or the battery but something to do with the car. A new AGM loaner and all was well.....and the "you can have the loaner interstate battery" even better. The mechanic at the time left a snap on tool in my trunk that I sent back to him in the mail and I now have a forever good relationship with that generous mechanic....so all in, a good deal. He told me how much the tool cost...ug.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 01-27-2024 at 08:32 AM.