X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux Input options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux Input options?

I was just wondering what the best route is for putting in an aux cord for music. And how hard it is.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Easiest option... Get an x with a tape player and connect a tape player converter to it. Otherwise, you have to screw with the ipod input device that will put you out $$$ or change your headunit which is also $$$

Old 11-11-2012, 11:16 PM

None of the X's I'm looking at have the cassete player, and im not looking for new unit, just a input device.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The clear option for me was an FM modulator. This is not one of those cheap over the air signal things, it is a modulator kit that is hard wired into the stock headunits' antenna slot. Because almost all cars use a traditional antenna connection, this can be installed on almost all cars (including our X). It is actually a very easy install and the sound quality is superb. The sound quality is akin to that off a new cars' HD Radio. Plus it comes as a kit and you can place the on/off switch and AUX input in the glovebox or center console, or even add a dedicated iPhone/iPod connector that can even charge the device as you play!

This is the exact one I bought at Best Buy (they could even install it for ya):

iSimple IS31 Antenna Bypass FM Modulator for Factory or

Last edited by aCapiz; 11-11-2012 at 11:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aCapiz:
ChipReese (10-28-2015), Thang Nguyen (11-16-2016)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by aCapiz
The clear option for me was an FM modulator. This is not one of those cheap over the air signal things, it is a modulator kit that is hard wired into the stock headunits' antenna slot. Because almost all cars use a traditional antenna connection, this can be installed on almost all cars (including our X). It is actually a very easy install and the sound quality is superb. The sound quality is akin to that off a new cars' HD Radio. Plus it comes as a kit and you can place the on/off switch and AUX input in the glovebox or center console, or even add a dedicated iPhone/iPod connector that can even charge the device as you play!

This is the exact one I bought at Best Buy (they could even install it for ya):

iSimple IS31 Antenna Bypass FM Modulator for Factory or

You say the iSimple FM modulator gives good sound? I have a modulator and depending which iPod I use I get a loud hiss or a high pitch squeal. The clearest sound comes from my iPhone 4s, but all my music is on my iTouch, which keeps switching from charging to not charging. And every time it switches the music stops.
How much was the iSimple?

Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by flyrr100
You say the iSimple FM modulator gives good sound? I have a modulator and depending which iPod I use I get a loud hiss or a high pitch squeal. The clearest sound comes from my iPhone 4s, but all my music is on my iTouch, which keeps switching from charging to not charging. And every time it switches the music stops.
How much was the iSimple?
That's a very strange occurrence because mine does give a good sound and believe me I am an audiophile. I cannot have anything in my music library that is anything less than CD quality, and I can tell the difference between something like a 320 kbps mp3 with a 256 mp3.

From the symptoms you are telling me, it sounds the device was wired to a bad ground This is probably why you get the hiss and squeal. Maybe the channel wasn't set to what it was on the little box that connects to the back of the head-unit (gives an option of 87.9 FM and another)? I do know that the smal over the air FM transmitters are pretty horrible sounding, but this device provides a quiet background and a good sound. My device was around $79, so considerable more than the over the ar transmitters but worth it IMO.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the info I was looking for something that could be installed easy and give good sound.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

That's a very strange occurrence because mine does give a good sound and believe me I am an audiophile. I cannot have anything in my music library that is anything less than CD quality, and I can tell the difference between something like a 320 kbps mp3 with a 256 mp3.

From the symptoms you are telling me, it sounds the device was wired to a bad ground This is probably why you get the hiss and squeal. Maybe the channel wasn't set to what it was on the little box that connects to the back of the head-unit (gives an option of 87.9 FM and another)? I do know that the smal over the air FM transmitters are pretty horrible sounding, but this device provides a quiet background and a good sound. My device was around $79, so considerable more than the over the ar transmitters but worth it IMO.
Thanks for the info. I might buy the iSimple and see if the sound is any better. My FM modulator is a 'no name' one I found on ebay for around $40.
You say it used a traditional antenna connection. I had to get some adaptors for mine as it used those fancy 'European' antenna connectors.
It's definitely an on going process!

Old 11-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love love music I should look into this I have the monster fm connector, but this seems really awesome thanks!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by flyrr100
Thanks for the info. I might buy the iSimple and see if the sound is any better. My FM modulator is a 'no name' one I found on ebay for around $40.
You say it used a traditional antenna connection. I had to get some adaptors for mine as it used those fancy 'European' antenna connectors.
It's definitely an on going process!
You are definitely right. I completely forgot about the adapter!
But yes, it will need the euro adapter thing to make it like a conventional antenna connection. I purchased mine at a small little car audio shop in my town for around $3.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (11-27-2012)
Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 AM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

You are definitely right. I completely forgot about the adapter!
But yes, it will need the euro adapter thing to make it like a conventional antenna connection. I purchased mine at a small little car audio shop in my town for around $3.

Hi,
I was wondering how you installed you Isimple? I am having trouble with the antenna part. Do I need a spliter to install the factory one and the one for the Isimple?
Thanks,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails Aux Input options?-%24-kgrhqv-hme457figw-bosfnfj2t-%7E%7E0_3.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! That is brilliant. Just what I need. I bought one of those mini FM transmitters and they are crap. Thanks so much guys!

Old 08-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS 77 iSimple

Hi I have just fitted the IS77 and it seems to be working great. I had to get a pair of adaptors for the aerial Fakra to din and din to Fakra (£10 from a local audio centre) I chose to use the 3.5mm jack plug input and located the unit behind the ashtray - I used the cigarette lighter for the power, mounted the power switch in the ash tray alongside the audio input.

Good luck

Old 08-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Also isimple make a bluetooth version. Bit more pricey but worth it.
I installed it and am happy with it

Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Supazach
Hi I have just fitted the IS77 and it seems to be working great. I had to get a pair of adaptors for the aerial Fakra to din and din to Fakra (£10 from a local audio centre) I chose to use the 3.5mm jack plug input and located the unit behind the ashtray - I used the cigarette lighter for the power, mounted the power switch in the ash tray alongside the audio input.

Good luck
How is the bass response with the IS77?

Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have just installed an IO Play 2 bluetooth music and phone system. it has an aux port and a ipod lead which i've placed in the glovebox. Its a nice powerful 160Watt system which sounds great and works exactly as you would expect.

with the Sounds on Top lead it came to £138 and took about 45 mins to install.

The following users liked this post:
ChipReese (10-28-2015)
Old 08-27-2013, 02:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by born2wice
How is the bass response with the IS77?
Sorry for the delay in answering have been away. I went away in the jag and was listening to music on my iPod and my daughter's iPhone through the IS77 and the sound was very good the bass is fine.

Andrew any chance of some pictures of your set up?

Cheers

Zach

Old 08-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problem, hopefully pic should be attached.

Attached Thumbnails Aux Input options?-optimized-20130827_120533.jpg  
Old 09-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Default iSimpleBluetooth

Hi all, just wondering on some mounting advice for the bluetooth model ISFM21. Where should I tap for power without hurting anything?

Also where should I mount the button??
And where should I run the additional Aux cable??

Just wanted to see your inputs and suggestions, thanks all!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think cheapest way with best sound quality would be to modify tape headunit.
How-to: How-To: DIY headunit hack for AUX-IN (on tape deck).

Quick Reply: Aux Input options?