X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad B.C.M.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad B.C.M.?

I have a 2004 X Type 3.0 and the problems are no A.C. or inside fan, no dome or trunk lights or lower lights on doors. I have seen some posts that it may be the B.C.M. How could I check to see if it needs to be replaced?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I would think many more weird things would be happening if the bcm were shot.
People are gonna need much more info to help.
Codes? Fuses? Bulbs?

Old 08-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Kiknazz, before we start replacing computers and whatnot, lets check the simple stuff first. I am assuming you have a later 2004 (built after March 2004, this info is in the driver's door jam). I would access the passenger compartment fuse box and check fuse F49 (10 amp fuse) and put a new fuse in its place. Problem solved? If yes, enjoy. If no, keep reading.

At this point, it would be wise to check to see if fuse F49 is getting power. If you look at the top of the fuse, you will see 2 small metal posts just under the surface of the fuse. What you will want to do is to use a multimeter and touch the red lead to each of those posts and have the black lead on the body of the car (make sure the multiemeter is set up to monitor "VDC"). You should get 12 VDC on both posts with the car door open. If not, then you have a bad "battery saver" relay, which is a big 4 relay silver box (as I recall) on the back side of the fuse box. That you would probably have to get from Jaguar itself.

There is not much else that is common between the A/C and the lights that you are talking about. If this does not fix your problem, let me know and I will give you a few more checks to make.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
1100me (08-09-2014), Kiknazz (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 12:46 PM

Thank you for the info, I will check out the fuse and relay and get back to you with the results.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Default F-49 fuse keeps blowing!

When I checked the 10 AMP F-49 fuse, it was blown. As soon as a new fuse hits the holder, it blows. I have unplugged the dome lights, trunk light, A.C./heater fan, and had the door closed with key out, still blows fuse.
Anybody have a wiring diagram or a list of what is on the F-49 fuse circuit? This is a list of what is not working: A.C./heater fan,compressor, drivers seat controls, dome lights and trunk light.
I also had bought a body processor module 1X43-15K600-CM but found out the one in the car is a 4X43-15K600-CD (5WK4-5053E-T83SA). The 1X43 was listed to fit a 2004 Jag X-Type. Would this be interchangeable?
THANKS for any help.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

kiknazz, let me get home and see what I can find for you. I am sure we can get this solved for you. But, what you are describing sounds like a wire got damaged and it is shorted straight to ground (I am sure that fuse makes a nice flash for you).

On a similar note, did you do/or have done any work to the car just prior to this happening? Doesn't matter if it is mechanical only or not. What it is sounding like to me is that either a wire got pinched underneath a fastener or the wiring has been rubbing a a sharp edge and it has finally reached the copper conductor.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

check out the drawings hopefully it is here.
just gave you the pages i think you need
I have assumed you dont have manual controls for your HVAC
Good luck.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2004XTypeElectrical.pdf (571.7 KB, 207 views)
Old 08-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Veteran member

Kiknazz, what I want you to do is to strip pretty much everything from the front of the ceiling of your car. Remove the overhead console and unplug it, remove the sun visors and unplug them, remove the dome light to your car, if you can find a plug on the trunk lights, undo those plugs too. Do not forget about the plugs on the footwell lights too. Once you have unplugged everything possible listed above, install a new 10 amp fuse. Did the fuse blow? If yes, then you are going to have to unplug your A/C control panel (if integrated into the radio, unplug the whole radio). Install another 10 amp fuse (can use a smaller fuse because at this point, you should have everything disconnected hopefully). Did this fuse blow? If yes, then your problem is in the harness and pretty much the easiest way to fix this is to hand over hand the wiring harness under the dash and then start tracing it all over the car (if you have done work somewhere in the car, that would also be a good place to start looking). If no, if you just recently removed the A/C control panel, then you A/C control panel is toast and you need a new one. If you never had to pull the A/C control panel, start plugging in the lights/modules one at a time (leave the visors for last). Plug in 1 item and then check the fuse. Keep replacing the components till the fuse blows. The component that causes the fuse to blow is where you short is to ground. Just becaues you find one item bad, keep repeating till everything (but the bad component) is re-installed. Once you know what is bad, let me know and I will see if there is anything that I can find about doing a fix to the item.

If you are going to have an issue, you are most likely to have an issue with either the visors or the center console (keep in mind that the center console has 2 plugs that can potentially blow this fuse, so, connect those plugs up one at a time).

The following users liked this post:
Thathopguy (02-13-2020)
Old 08-16-2014, 09:24 AM

Thank you Thermo and PaulC732 for all of your help on this issue.
This is my daughter`s car and she lives 1.5 hours away and is always so busy, it is hard for her to find the time to visit her dad or for me to catch up with her at her place. That is why the B.P.M. numbers did not match up, I was going with what was the most likely one, so at least I would have a good shot at it when she came over. Needless to say, it can be so time between my investigations and posts.
The car did have the headliner recovered just before these problems. She hand it done by a friend and to my surprise he had done a very good job on it! From what you just posted, I am sure the problem stems from this work.
The A.C./heat control screen seems to work o.k. When I turn the fan knob up and down, the bars also go up and down. A.C., switch lights up when pressed, but no action. The sun roof opens and closes o.k.
I will start at the top and work my way down.
Will post again when I find out any thing more.

Again, THANK YOU for your help!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Default Found it!

After removing and unplugging all inside lights, A.C. fan, trunk light, I removed the sun visors, and there it was! A screw mashed into the wires. Put a new fuse in, and it did not blow. Reinstalled every thing and it all works again.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Old 08-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

Good to hear that you found the issue.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

@ kiknazz, congrats
@thermo, u the man