X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery cables. How do i change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts
Default RE: Battery cables. How do i change?

JG, normally there is a lug on each end, so, replacing the cable is just a matter of following the cable and disconnect each end. As for problems, just make sure to disconnect the negative post first so you don't cause a possible short.

As for problems, as long as you disconnect the negative cable also from the battery, that will be your biggest problem. The only other issue that you may run into is not having the code for the radio. This will shutdown the radio until the code is put in. So, before disconnecting the battery, make sure you have the code available. If you don't have the code, the local Jag dealer can get you the code. You just have to prove that you own the car (picture ID and car registration).

Chris "Thermo" Coleman and K'Re Ann, the 03 X

The following users liked this post:
Dimos (11-04-2021)
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Battery cables. How do i change?

Excellent advice from Chrisit is always a good idea to disconnect the neg. terminal
of the battery if there isany chance of shorting something out.

I would also like to suggest that maybe you can just replace the postive
terminal at the battery and not the whole cable(s). You can just get the
terminal itself. Cut off the old one, strip back the cable and put the new
terminal on and reconnect to battery. Also, have you tried just getting
a terminal cleaning brush and cleaning the terminal up? Here are a couple
of links that may be of help.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...=battery+brush
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/car-battery-terminals

Hopefully it is just a bad connection at the battery and not a bad
alternator.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy 2002 X-Type 2.5, engine barely turns over, new battery

Hello All,

I too have am having a bad Jag day with my X-Type. I drive mine only once a week to work on Fridays, may go here and there in it randomly on weekends. I bought it used about 7 years ago. I went to go somewhere in it a couple days ago and it only barely turned the engine over but quickly gave up doing that. I thought due to age it must be the battery. Just to throw this in here for gee whiz, my mother had a 91 Cadillac Fleetwood with a Delco battery that lasted 11 years. Anyway, I bought a new Duralast Gold battery and put it in my Jag. Still it only barely tried to turn the engine over. Charged it overnight and tried again the next morning but still the same old thing. I then went and bought the positive and negative battery cables but haven't changed them yet as it has been too cold in the evenings although I'm in South Carolina on the coast. Supposed to rain all weekend. Lovely for helping me get the cables changed. Thanks a lot for sending the cold down here Canada!

I read there is a negative battery cable attached to the engine on the passenger's side toward the front of the engine. I suppose you cannot see it unless you remove the black plastic JAGUAR engine cover. Does this sound correct to you guys who have done this?

I see the ground wire and bolt below and to the right of the battery box and assume that is for the body. Those funny looking "L-shaped" battery terminal connectors, I'm not sure how to replace the cables which will remove those things and get everything connected again without them. (Using aftermarket Duralast cables, negative is 78 inches long.)

The positive goes to the starter, then on to the alternator I understand, but also to the fuse box behind the battery. Am I doing the right thing getting rid of those "L" terminals? I haven't heard anyone else mention them. Someone please help me out with this one. I'm getting discouraged. Up until now this car has been absolutely rock solid on reliability.

I used a single side of a jumper cable to jump the negative battery terminal to the engine and gave that a try, same thing, barely turned the engine over. Then I did that on the positive post jumping over to the starter terminal and got the same results with that one too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE

Just replaced positive and negative battery cables this morning but still just a click or barely turns the engine over. I'm starting to think it has a bad starter or it is hydrolocked. Is the 2.5 known for hydrolocking due to leaking head gaskets? If it is this happened while sitting and not while running so no bent rods for sure.

Ran fine last time I drove it, smooth as silk, no problems whatsoever. It has NEVER overheated. One week later and it isn't a runner anymore. Had the new battery tested, they said it was OK. I put it in my Ranger 3.0 pickup and it started without issue so I agree the battery is good. Let it charge in the Ranger and put it back in the X-type, same story, will barely turn over or just a single click. Oil is clean, no water in it (have always used Mobile One synthetic) remove the oil cap & look inside, it still looks like brand new. Just to be clear the engine has turned, a green marker on the water pump belt was visible facing up but isn't there anymore so it has turned for certain.

Last edited by TomTom; 12-14-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Additional info/update