X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery drain x-type

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain x-type

Hi Everyone I have just join I have just purchased a x-type jaguar 2006 2.2d se, I love the car and it rides well, I do have a problem with it as the car was left for 4 days and the battery went flat, it is a new battery Bosch c5. The dealers have checked the car twice and could not find anything wrong.

I also cannot get into the boot to get my booster pack out due to no electric, any ideas please.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Ron, it sounds like you have a parasititic loss in the car. What I would tell you to do is to get your hands on a multimeter and then disconnect the negative battery cable. With all the doors closed and the key out of the ignition, connect the red lead of the multimeter to the battery cable and the black lead to the battery post. With the multimeter set to a 2 amp scale, what does the multimeter read. Ideally, you should be under 0.050 What you will probably find is that the multimeter will be up around 1.000 or so. If this is the case, then there are two options (read below). If you are under 0.050 amps, then you either have a problem that comes and goes or you are looking at bad battery cables and you should replace the battery cables.

If you have more than the 0.050 amp draw, you can remove all the fuses and relays (noting their location), then you connect the multimeter like you did earlier. But this time, you should start out at less than 0.050 (if you don't, then you have a problem inside the harness of the car and this requires other steps to be taken, write me if this is the case). Now, install 1 fuse and see if your multimeter is still reading under 0.050 amps. If it is not, remove that fuse, noting the fuse that caused the jump. After removing the fuse that causes the current to jump or you find that the current is still under 0.050 amps, install another fuse. Keep repeating till you get all the fuses that you can installed. At this point, hopefully you only have a single fuse left out. Let me know the fuse and we can take things from there.

Option 2 is to reconnect the battery terminal removed at the very beginning. Now, set the multimeter to read on the 200mV scale. What you are going to do is if you look at the tops of every fuse, you will find 2 small, silver posts there. Connect the multimeter acrossed those two posts. Ideally you should read 0.0 mV. But, anything 0.1 mV or less I would not worry about. Again, check each fuse. Remove any fuse that you fine the greater than 0.1 mV reading on and note the fuse location. Once you have checked all the fuses (do not forget the ones inside the passenger area), let me know what you have in the way of removed fuses and we can fix you up.

Not to ask a silly question, but do you know the maintenance/work that was recently done on the car? I ask because more than likely, that is where the wire got pinched and is leading to the constant drain that you see. All of these checks also assume a fully charged battery. So, try to get the battery back to 100% before commencing the checks.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Lcgi (11-25-2012), wesmc2 (11-25-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Hi Thermo,
We check the battery post and it was .050 I called someone out, and he could not find a drain at all on the meter. I am not sure what work has been down as I have just brought the car. The previous owner sent it to a Jaguar dealer twice and they also could not find a fault. Maybe its a loose lead somewhere though I have tried them and they seem to be ok.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Ron, well, at 0.050 amps, that is still "excessive" in my mind. It should be down around 0.020. The best advice that I can tell you is with a load that small, you are going to end up using the fuse pulling method. That is too small of a current to find with the fuse top method (10 amp pull only nets a 30 mV indication on the multimeter). So, as you can see, a 0.050 A draw is going to be next to nothing.

As for finding it, I would first start with anything that has been added to the car (ie, non-stock items). Those are normally notorious for causing the leaks. After that, based on the amount of current we are talking about, you can try pulling the fuses to the computers for the car 1 at a time. It may be that your car is having a computer starting to go and this is what you are seeing. After that, it is going to be a slow and tedious process of finding a draw like you have. Odds are, you can just pull a single fuse and see if the draw changes vice having to pull all the fuses out and then putting them back in 1 at a time since your problem appears to be limited to a single circuit.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 AM

Hi Thermo, Thank you I will try that when it stops raining!!