X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery flat, locked out, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Battery flat, locked out, please help!!

Hello there, I have a Jaguar X type 2006. I left the lights on a couple of days ago and locked the car. Now the battery went flat and I can't even open the car. The remote lock system doesn't work and the actual key wouldn't open the side door either (as the system is electrical). I have no access to the inside of the car or to the hood to boost it. Any idea on how to unlock the car. Any help would be most appreciated.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

How sad.

Well you can call up the tow services in your area and see if they do lock out service. Quick and easy.

Or, jack up the car and put it on stands. Those cinderblocks will break at all the wrong times. Always give the car a little shake before getting under it to make sure that it is stable. Then see if you can get to the battery connection at the starter. If you can, use either a battery charger's leads to jump or make up a jumper lead to go to it. The best charger to use will have a jump start feature. I don't know that you will have room to put on a jumper cable. Once the positive is hooked to the terminal, connect the negative to a bare spot. Bolt heads work. Have someone open the door and turn off the lights. Now open the hood and use that battery charger. Disconnect the battery NEG for best charging or remove the battery. GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Wink

Thank you GLENDORAMIKE! That's what I did! :-)

I called the dealer to ask them if they had some sort of secret way to get the car unlocked but they were closed as it's Saturday, never the less the lady on the phone offered me to put me through Jaguar Road Assistance. At the beginning I was worried about the cost of that because my warranty ended just last January...

A tow truck arrived in 5 minutes and the guy jammed a small flat pillow in between the frame of the door, then he inflated the pillow (like a blood pressure pump) just enough to get a bar in and unlocked the door from inside. No damage at all.

Once the car was open he boosted the car for 10 minutes and now it all is back to normal! The bill? $60.00 Not bad for a 5 minute solution! :-)

I still can't believe there's not a mechanical way to open this car! The key couldn't open the car when there was no power, now with the power back the key works no problem. Totally ridiculous. So if I ever have another problem with the battery, I'll be locked out again...

Love the car but this is not good.

Thank you very much again.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:37 PM

You think that was something. My first wife had a Honda Accord. To get into those you just bend this tab that positions the window and you can pull the window way out. Then unlocking it is easy. Slide hammer the lock out and away they almost went. WE DON'T ALLOW THAT KIND OF BEHAVIOR IN THIS CITY. They didn't make it out of the city.

One truck tractors the trick is to put a remote jumper post through the frame. Saves time. Too bad the battery isn't in the trunk like XJ8's

Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Too bad the battery isn't in the trunk like XJ8's"

So I have a question... Can you get into the trunk with a complete power failure? (as I am prone to random acts of stupidity and this thread may come in handy)

If you can, seems like you could drop the 60/40 rear seat backs and work your way into the passenger compartment and manually open at least one door.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Red face

I know... I also understand the XJ8's have a keyhole under the rear bumper that would release the trunk mechanically should you have any problems with the opening system, which is a fantastic solution!

For the X-type that's another concern for me because the only way to open the trunk is by pushing the button (or the remote system) but if there's no power or if something happens to the trunk release there's no way to open it or access it.

As you mentioned, you could access the trunk thought the back seats but the problem is that the back seats release is located in the trunk!!. If you can't access the trunk you can't release the seats so it would be impossible to access the trunk under those conditions.

Looking on the net for other people with similar experiences I read the most outrageous solutions, for instance one guy had to drilled a hole behind the plate, big enough to stick his arm and use the internal safety trunk release. Another one broke the driver's rear lamp completely to be able to stick his arm in and release the trunk from inside... I think I would prefer to leave the trunk sealed before attempting any of those solutions! ha ha!

Well... hopefully nothing like that ever happens!

The following users liked this post:
RickBNA (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I thought (no power no trunk)

That's why I was asking.

An interesting side note though... I have a piece of steel cable (very thin) with a loop on the end of it visible from under my rear bumper.

I just noticed this the other day for the first time. Anyone have an idea what it may go to? Possibly some sort of external trunk release?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by RickBNA
That's what I thought (no power no trunk)

That's why I was asking.

An interesting side note though... I have a piece of steel cable (very thin) with a loop on the end of it visible from under my rear bumper.

I just noticed this the other day for the first time. Anyone have an idea what it may go to? Possibly some sort of external trunk release?
Not any thing from the factory. Pull on it, see what happens.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 PM

WHAT IF IT GOES BOOOOM!!!!

I have a 2004 XJ8. There is a key slot in the area at the top of the license plate area. Find the letter "U" in Jaguar and it is under that, but you have to get down to look up at it. I went into the garage to give in a try. It releases the trunk but it also has the same sound as the solenoid releasing the trunk. I tried the bail out ring in the trunk and it makes the same sound too. You could disconnect the battery, get in the trunk and see if the bail out ring still opens the trunk. I'll pass, thanks.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2004 X-Type key will open the drivers door even with no battery on the car. I have several times locked and unlocked the car with no battery connected as I do not use it much during the winter and sometimes take the battery off to trickle charge it while the car is not in use. I suspect you have something wrong with the drivers door lock.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

As it happens I had my driver door apart yesterday. My Canadian spec car is not like just described. There is a rod from the key to the lock mechanism, but this DOES NOT unlock the door. It only is connected to a switch that sends an unlock signal to the power locks.
If the battery is dead, then a key in the door wil not unlock my car.

Might be a market or option driven difference?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Glendoramike
jack up the car and put it on stands. Then see if you can get to the battery connection at the starter.
THIS, is the procedure for most modern cars. If you're on this forum, you should own a car jack, jack stands and a charger, or at the very least know who you can borrow them from within walking distance.

The whole "flat pillow" routine would make me cringe. All I keep thinking is that some peoples doors/windows will be whisting down the highway. Once metal is stretched it's not so easily returned into it's original shape.