X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Light On Dash - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery Light On Dash - FIXED

This problem has finally got me. Immediately the car is started from cold the battery light comes. The battery discharges completely and the car does not start. This happenned yesterday on my way to work. I started the car in the morning, the light came on and I decided just to drive. After a few kilometres the the car shut down, the battery completely discharged. Put another battery and drove the car back home and the light was still on.

Is this the sign of a bad alternator or the notorious battery cables?

2.5L X type auto

Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I would say alternator. If you are comfortable with taking out the alternator, you can take it in to autozone or a similar place and have them test the alternator. I would point away from battery cables because these are normally an all or none type of thing. Aka, you either get power through them, or you don't. Sometimes with cables, you get a reduced current, but they tend to throw the dtc fault and other system faults if they are half way out.

When you were driving home with the second battery did you have any problems with it? This also could be your battery. I would test the battery that is currently in it just by driving with it for awhile with a backup battery just in case. If it dies, I would go to alternator and then power cables to be cheap, but if cash isn't the problem, it never hurts to replace the cables to get away from future problems

The following 2 users liked this post by disguay:
Cadillac (04-26-2012), mmolaik (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by disguay
I would say alternator. If you are comfortable with taking out the alternator, you can take it in to autozone or a similar place and have them test the alternator. I would point away from battery cables because these are normally an all or none type of thing. Aka, you either get power through them, or you don't. Sometimes with cables, you get a reduced current, but they tend to throw the dtc fault and other system faults if they are half way out.

When you were driving home with the second battery did you have any problems with it? This also could be your battery. I would test the battery that is currently in it just by driving with it for awhile with a backup battery just in case. If it dies, I would go to alternator and then power cables to be cheap, but if cash isn't the problem, it never hurts to replace the cables to get away from future problems
Thanks for the detailed info.

The battery light was still on with the other battery. I will have the alternator removed and tested this weekend.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by disguay

You were spot on. Its the alternator. I had a Mechanic check it today and he confirmed our doubts. Thanks again.

The following users liked this post:
Cadillac (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks guys for your interaction

The following users liked this post:
mmolaik (04-26-2012)