X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blank Navigation Screen -'02 X type

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blank Navigation Screen -'02 X type

My Nav screen has recently gone blank- I can't adjust the temp. controls now either. I tried holding the phone and menu button for 5 sec. to rest and also disconnected the battery. No luck.

Radio works- nag screen blank and the screen below it flashes 50 and 51

CODE DESCRIPTION
50 Communication failure between control module and display unit at startup.
51 Communication failure between control module and display unit during operation.

I don't have the software dvd. Wondering if any one has a copy of it that I could burn. Or if they have any other ideas on fixing this issue.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If everything was working when you left the car but not working now it is probably the DVD unit in boot that has failed. When you turn ignition on go listen to the DVD unit and hear if the disc is spinning in the drive. Also check the fuses to the touch screen. If you pressed the update menu when you were in the 1971 hidden menu then you need to get a copy of the loading.kwi software to reinstall into unit. I pressed the update button myself and lost everything and got the blank screen with fan running. I bought the latest software disc and left it to do it's own thing and it all came back to life but the unit was working perfectly before I screwed it up by pressing the S/W button.

The following users liked this post:
jjkurzbuch (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the helpful advice... I listened to the DVD unit and the disc is running. I only have the Nav DVD though. Not the software disc. Do you know anyplace I can buy this software besides the dealership?

I'll check the fuses in a minute to make sure that's not the issue either.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my disc from one of the dvd update sites. Don't think I am allowed to mention it on here.

The following users liked this post:
jjkurzbuch (07-21-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 04:44 PM

So, I finally had the dealership confirm that the navigation module needed to be replaced. They wanted to charge over $3000 for it though. Yikes! The navigation module is part of the dvd player in the trunk. Well, I managed to find a used DVD player from an S-type (my car is an X-type)- swapped them out and the navigation screen once again comes back on and the climate control works again. No longer getting a read out of the communication error codes 50 or 51. But the soft buttons don't work now.

When doing an on screen diagnostic prior to changing dvd players or having the dealer confirm the issue was a navigation module- I confirmed the soft buttons worked. When the dealer trouble shouted my car- they returned it to me with the dvd player still ripped out and disconnected. I took it back and since then the soft buttons have not worked. I suspect they failed to reconnect something. Esp. since the screen diagnostic after picking up my car would still display but the soft buttons didn't work. I mentioned this to the dealer- they looked over my car again- and said 'no, it's the nag module'. I didn't tell them that I already replaced the dvd player (and module that is part of it). So, I am convinced they left something disconnected. Any suggestions or ideas why the soft buttons no longer work? Is there a separate connection that controls the soft buttons? Why would the soft buttons work before I took it in to be diagnosed and not work afterwards?