X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light continuously on after doing back brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light continuously on after doing back brake pads

Hi, I've just done the back brake pads and the brake lights are now continuously on. The switch on the brake pedal seems to be fine (I've removed it and put it back). If you lift the brake pedal up a couple of mills with your hand the brake light goes off and there seems to be a little play at the top.

Both back wheels did not turn freely when I put the wheels back on - so may be the pads are in contact with the discs. I also took it around the block;
>The brakes worked perfectly
> The car did not roll back on an incline when I expected it to.

It is now too late in the evening and it is raining, and I'm too knackered to do any more diagnosis.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Tommorrow I will check if the handbrake fixtures are fixed too tight. Is there an adjustment for the handbrake?
> Is it possible my brake pads are too thick? Only I got them, like a lot of other punters on this site, from EBC, so they should fit.
> Maybe the pistons on the calipers are not working properly and need a little tlc
> Or may be it's the sensor on the brake pedal.

Thanks in advance, Al

Old 03-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Wink

You will need to do some tweeking to get some clearance so the wheels will turn freely when the brakes are off. But I don't believe this has anything to do with your brake lights staying on. This problem should involve the position of the brake pedal and the brake light switch. If you can lift the pedal and the lights go off then there should be an adjustment there to give enough clearance so the lights aren't on until the pedal is depressed. I'm not sure what the system looks like, I'll have to look at my repair manuals to see if there's anything on it. I did my rear brakes last year and had no problem like you mention.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Did you lube your caliper rods/guides...whatever they're called?

Old 03-09-2009, 04:55 AM

Thanks Matt and Green machine for your suggestions. I've had another go and removed the calipers, lubed the pistons and put the calipers back on but I didn't get time to bleed properly. One of the pistons was a bit stuck but no luck yet. I'll have another go tomorrow, I'm going to get one of those bleeders and once the fluid is correct and the brake pedal feels right I'll check to see if the sensor can be adjusted.

Man, I had no problems with the front pads and discs!

here are pics of the front calipers and one in its jacked up state.

Attached Thumbnails Brake light continuously on after doing back brake pads-08032009a.jpg   Brake light continuously on after doing back brake pads-25022009-001-001a.jpg  
Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you turn the rear caliper piston to retract them?

Old 03-10-2009, 03:45 AM

Bled brakes again. I've been pumping for longer than I want to think about.

Now it looks like front left, back right are bleeding correctly.

Front right, back left there is no pressure.

I got one of those one man bleeding hoses and bottles, but hasn't really helped.

Now, I'm going to borrow a motorised suction/bleeding machine from a mechanic mate. I'm hoping there is a massive air lock or a blockage and this machine should sort it out. If that fails I think I'll have to put it on a truck and go to the mechanics.... Hopefully no big bill for slave cylinder, master cylinder. By the way my mechanic friend reckons the brake light thing was because there was not enough pressure in the system to push the pedal right up to sensor.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Cud just be coincedental that the brake switch fell out. Happens sometimes . Or may just need reseting. Remove by turning and reinstall