X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pipe nipple sizes

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 04:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Brake pipe nipple sizes

Just had an MOT fail on the X type, I have to replace the front lower arms on the rear suspension and the rear brake pipes which look very awkward to get to.
Does anyone know what size the brake pipes are and what thread size on the nipples i.e metric or imperial, 3/8,5/16, or 10 mm? I need to obtain the parts locally in Norway so I can make up new pipes but want everything to hand before I start, otherwise I will have to order the fittings from the UK. And you only get two weeks here to effect any repairs!
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 384 Likes on 289 Posts

Hi Norcat, if I understand correctly, you are planning to DIY manufacture brakelines for the X400? Well, I am doing a lot of DIY, but I don't think I would make my own brake pipes for safety reasons. Also, you are not precise enough, which parts you are exactly looking for. Just have a look here:
https://www.britishparts.co.uk/class...26/brakes-c359
Maybe you just want to have 2 x C2S46537
See: https://www.britishparts.co.uk/class...ake-hose-p5869
...and those guys are very fast with posting orders.

And for you front lower arms have a look here:
https://www.britishparts.co.uk/class...ion-c379#page2
At least you get an idea for prices and you get the P/N.
Also: WHY do you have to replace the arms? Are the bushes OK and is it only the ball-joint, which constitutes the problem?
If it is the ball joint only, you can replace the ball joints only...: Have a look on ebay. I just did a quick search and this is the first one I found:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26567213...Bk9SR5Csn-6BYQ

I have replaced the 2 frt. ball joints on my X-Type. If I remember correctly, you have to remove the old part's bolts with an angle grinder. I did it without removing the lower arms from the car.

Old 10-25-2022, 08:36 AM

Thanks Peter for your quick response, the brake pipes are no problem as I am a former Jaguar mechanic back in the 80`s and still working as a marine engineer 40 yrs later. I have just rebuilt 4 Volvo Amazon cars for which I made all new brake and fuel lines as I have the flaring tool to make the pipes.
The rear arms failed on worn ball joints, I will check out the link you sent although the complete arm is fairly cheap, I can get them locally complete with new bolts for £50 each, and in view of what you said about the bolts needing to be cut I will probably buy them.
I buy most of my parts from Britishparts as there isn’t much support for Jaguar here in Norway.
Just checked your link, they are front track cintrol arm ball joints, I need Rear lower front arms which are very different.

Last edited by Norcat; 10-25-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, you seem to be qualified to make your own brake pipes indeed. I just worked as Design Engineer on the X400 team in 1998 in Coventry in 1998 (mainly switches and most of all the light switch). Yes, I misunderstood, which arm you are looking for, but good that you know Britishparts - they are good when you are in a hurry.
But if it is indeed the metal-brake-lines you have to replace, and you can do it yourself and you have to remove the old ones anyway and you want to know the dimensions (like ID and OD), why don't you just remove yours, cut them thru and measure what you have?

Old 10-25-2022, 02:23 PM
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I replaced a rear brake line a couple of years ago. It was an exciting trip home when that thing sprung a leak and lost all pressure. I got a universal replacement at the auto parts store, description says it is 3/16.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_8135615

I don't know about the flexible hose but this site says it is 10mm x 1 thread.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:00 PM

The problem is I have to do this job at work by using our big forklift which has wide arms which we just drive our cars onto and lift them up to the right height for working. Once I remove the rear wheels and then have access to remove the brake pipes I can’t can’t then move the car so will be doing this over a weekend when the forklift is not in use. We don’t have many car spares places here and can’t be sure they will have the correct size on the day, so want to make sure I have the right pipe and nipples on hand to make up new pipes as soon as the old ones are off and can measure the length.
My flexi hoses are fine as they were the first thing I swapped out when I bought the car, I fitted Aeroquip steel reinforced hoses which eliminates the spongy pedal on X types from expanding ordinary flexi hoses.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I learned something: Wile I do not yet have the issue of spongy brakes, I read a lot of people have - so now I have to check the flexihoses, if that problem occurs.
About your forklift problem: I would start with an hydraulic car-jack and stands (for the car) to check under the car whatever you need to investigate, maybe even remove the first parts to be able to order the right parts. And only after you have everything, put the wheel back on (if it was off), remove the stands and car-jack and use the fork lift...

Old 10-25-2022, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 710 Likes on 635 Posts

C2S46537

Old 10-25-2022, 06:22 PM

Sorry Norcat, I'm a little slow today. The brake lines are 3/16 inch = 4.7mm outside diameter which is not related to the size of the threaded fittings at the end. I recall now when I bought the replacement brake line/pipe at the Napa auto parts store here I had a choice to buy "Domestic", "European", or "British", all without any thread sizes specified which is not satisfying. A web search for the part number pipe I bought turns up a description saying the threads at both ends are 3/8 inch - 24 TPI. Can you buy 3/8" - 24 and 10 mm - 1 and return the ones you don't use? Another thought, can you get a caliper on the hex in advance of doing the work? If it is a 3/8" threaded fitting the distance across the hex will be 7/16" = 11.1mm. If it is a 10mm fitting that hex should be closer to 12mm than to 11mm. I wish you luck.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:29 PM

OK, one more idea. Remove the old pipe, cut it, slide off the threaded end connections, put the old connector pieces on your brand new pipe and then make your flared ends. New pipe, old connectors. Connectors guaranteed to fit.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the input guys, it looks like Jaguar have used 3/16 pipe and metric threads which I can get locally. I will check for sure by measuring the pipes and nipples on the ABS unit which are clean and not covered in underseal like those at the back under the car. Using the forklift is no problem I have had the Jag up in the air twice this week already and useit for all 3 of my cars to do maintainance, I am too old to lie under cars anymore!

Old 10-30-2022, 08:06 AM

Replaced the rear brake pipes yesterday, just to confirm its 3/16 pipe with M 10 tgread on the nipples. The shorter one on the rear right was the most tricky to replace as it had about 10 bends in it, I had to cut it in two to get it out then made up a new one and with a bit of coaxing got it back the same location as the old one. The longer one going to the left rear over the subframe was very easy as it had less bends to negotiate. The pipes actually broke where they meet the flexi when I undid the nipple to take them off so definitely was time to replace them, all good now.