X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakemotive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One last question I'm getting ready to order and install these rotors and pads, is there any break in procedure when installing new rotors and pads to prevent "warping"?

Old 08-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,839 Likes on 3,157 Posts

Emanx2.5, I just took it easy on the car initially and didn't do any hard braking followed by a splash through a puddle. You do that, you should be good. 30K miles, still the same pads and rotors with both looking pretty much like I just put them on. So, install the kit and don't worry.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nee front brakes

Gentlemen, great thread (as always). Just found out that I need new front brakes. Sounds like you've found a good replacement option and relatively inexpensive to boot. Do you mind sharing the specifics on the package you bought and installed? Mine's a manual 2004 with 17 inch wheels. Greetings from Tampa Bay Florida.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:16 PM

Andahaion, did you purchase the Brakemotive complete kit? I see a Callahan kit and an Evolution Power Stop as well.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,839 Likes on 3,157 Posts

Xerxes, I bought the Brakemotive kit. It came with cross-drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads (do not recall the name of the pads as it has been 3 years now). I do a fair mix of city and highway driving. I have put 30K miles on the pads/rotors and both look pretty much brand new. Very little wear anywhere.

As for stopping power, lets just say if I stand on the brake, NOTHING!! will be left on the seats unless it is bolted/strapped in place. I have to ponder if the car is going to tap the front bumper on the ground. It is better than the stock setup.

The following users liked this post:
Xerxes' Jag (08-19-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Xerxes, here is what I bought (I think it is the same as what Thermo got): http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=390411249283

Have had them for a ouple months and they both look great and work great. Plus, the whole experience was fantastic. I ordered them on a Sunday, had a confirmation e-mail they shipped on Monday and in my hands on Tuesday-with free shipping! They boxes weighed 62 pounds total, so when you factor the shipping in they are even a better deal. I would recommend them to anyone. I have put on about 3K miles on them the last couple months and am totatlly satisfied up to this point. Very low dust from the pads as well.

Xerxes' Jag (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Xerxes' Jag
Andahaion, did you purchase the Brakemotive complete kit? I see a Callahan kit and an Evolution Power Stop as well.
Sorry for the late reply, but yes I purchased the Brakemotive set off eBay. Brakemotive isn't the manufacturer though. PowerStop is the manufacturer. I'm installing these this coming Saturday and will report back after the install.

There is a manufacturer's recommended break-in procedure. You can go to Powerstop's website and find it quite easily.

Xerxes' Jag (08-20-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Default 800 Mile Review...

So, after about 800 miles on the new brakes I'd have to give them a thumbs down. The issue is that they moan like a sick banshee when cold. For about the first 15-20 seconds of driving they do this awful moaning sound. After that, they're fine the rest of the time driving. I had thought this was just during the break-in period but apparently not.

Other than the noise (which is more embarrassing than anything else), they do work well. But, who wants that horrid sound every darn morning? Definitely not this guy. Will likely give it a few more weeks, maybe a month, then take her back in to the shop for some kind of fix. Bummer, they do look cool though if that's worth anything.

Peace.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Brakemotive Updates?

If I'm counting right, the votes on this thread suggest a 2-1 loss for Brakemotive with Alfadude "too early to tell" last summer. Any updates?

I'm expecting to have to replace my pads and rotors soon and would like to reduce brake dusting and improve performance. Brakemotive sound good and at a nice price but there are a few warping stories online that support Prejags experience - eg:

Brakemotive "ebay" drilled/slotted rotor review - Page 2 - G35Driver

Is warping a problem that will affect a percentage of even the best quality rotors? Or is it most likely due to specific environmental/use factors? Or is it most likely a sign of either poor quality or poor quality control during manufacture?

Any updates or other info to help on this decision is much appreciated!!!!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:09 AM

I actually have a positive update. I'll make my story short, but if you want details just let me know. I was on the beltway last week and had to hit the brakes hard, harder than I've hit them yet. Damnedest thing, I've not heard a peep from the brakes since. They used to have a moan and occasional squeak, but ever since hitting them hard that one time they've been silent. They've always performed well, but were noisy and I couldn't figure it out. A while ago my mechanic put some kind of chemical on them that helped for a bit but now they're stone silent. I did do the manufacturer's break-in procedure too.

Anyway, thought I'd share. Not sure I'd completely change my thumbs down to thumbs up though.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

After 10 months and 20K miles I am still happy.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I put the same kit on my car last summer. I was initially impressed but now I get pretty bad vibrations when hitting the brake pedal, especially at certain speeds. I'm thinking one or more of the rotors may be warped or cracked at this point so I'm going to get that checked out and ask Brakemotive for a replacement if necessary as I believe the rotors have a 1-year warranty

Old 06-10-2013, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone - re-reading the thread I realize that my math sucks but you have given me opportunity to re-release the result of the straw poll as follows:

6 positive experiences
2 negative experience (both describe premature warping)
1 thumbs down that changed in "real time" to a semi-thumbs up .....

........... talking of which, good one Andahaion!! ....your experience sort of reminds me of all the time I used to spend thumping the top of my TV to get it to work ......... nice to know that sort of approach still yields a result from time to time!!

That sounds like a bit of a mixed bag of

Andahaion (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 PM

..... mixed bag of results - so I will continue my researches. Any more long term user reviews on these brakes welcome!!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Best kit ever! I have used them on many of my cars and never had an issue brake pads are low dust as well.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

They are a little noisy under extreme braking but thats normal and no warping involved. All my sets have done that nothing to be concerned with. On my Altima I had them on I used them for upwards of 50k with no issues.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm at 3 years now with about 10,000 miles in mine And they still work fine

Old 06-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

One thing to keep in mind if you are buying slotted/drilled rotors and expecting dramatic improvements in stopping power...most of the advantage of slotted rotors, and drilled, are not in one time only, emergency hard braking. its their cooling ability so that you can stop hard over and over and over again before they start to fade from getting too hot, I'm talking like you would on a track/autocross. Something VERY few x type owners will ever do. That's not to say that you wont see an improvement since the slots also remove dust and hot gases from between the pad and rotor, its just not their main improvement. I also like that these are pretty cheap, and are zinc coated so they don't rust, and just look cool too.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I might just replace my front rotors as they seem to be the issue. I still want to get them checked this week. Does anyone know a place I can just take my car to and have them check my rotors?

Old 06-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Cool Checking In

Made the switch last fall to the Brakemotive kit Thermo suggested below. I am very happy with the results and the total cost. Thought I read somewhere here where someone indicated the brakes are noisy early in the morning. I have experienced that, but nothing that I can't live with. These were affordable and look great. Just like the Khumo tires I put on all my vehicles. Warm regards from Florida to all.

Quick Reply: Brakemotive?