X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakemotive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,838 Likes on 3,156 Posts

Xerxes, I am like you, I notice a little bit of a whine from the brakes first thing in the morning, but it isn't anything that is annoying or can't be lived with. The only other time I notice a whine from the brakes is under a really heavy braking (then they make a whirring sound). But, with the increased stopping power, it is another one of those things that I can live with. I would rather have the noise and stop than no noise and run into something.

Evan, you can find yourself a Precision Tune and they will look at your brake for free. But, with that being said, I can almost garantee that they will come back and say that you need a complete brake job done (new rotors, pads, and even possibly calipers). Worst case, tell them that you think you might have warped rotor and to have them do a "Run out test" on the front rotors. This should open up their eyes as they will hopefully realize that you are not the average joe and will treat you a bit better and not as a sucker. They should come back with a reading of like "0.001 inches" (near perfect). If they come back with something like "0.010 inches" (or more), then your rotors are warped. Granted, if they come back and tell you that they can't do that check or "what is that check", just walk away and move on to another shop.

If you want me to explain to you what this check is and how to do it, I will. It is a pretty easy check to do. But, if you are getting a wobble in the steering wheel only during braking, then that most likely is a warped rotor. If you are getting a shaking in the steering wheel when you are at about 60-70 mph, regardless if you are applying the brakes or not, then that is an alignment issue, not brakes.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Xerxes, I am like you, I notice a little bit of a whine from the brakes first thing in the morning, but it isn't anything that is annoying or can't be lived with. The only other time I notice a whine from the brakes is under a really heavy braking (then they make a whirring sound). But, with the increased stopping power, it is another one of those things that I can live with. I would rather have the noise and stop than no noise and run into something.

Evan, you can find yourself a Precision Tune and they will look at your brake for free. But, with that being said, I can almost garantee that they will come back and say that you need a complete brake job done (new rotors, pads, and even possibly calipers). Worst case, tell them that you think you might have warped rotor and to have them do a "Run out test" on the front rotors. This should open up their eyes as they will hopefully realize that you are not the average joe and will treat you a bit better and not as a sucker. They should come back with a reading of like "0.001 inches" (near perfect). If they come back with something like "0.010 inches" (or more), then your rotors are warped. Granted, if they come back and tell you that they can't do that check or "what is that check", just walk away and move on to another shop.

If you want me to explain to you what this check is and how to do it, I will. It is a pretty easy check to do. But, if you are getting a wobble in the steering wheel only during braking, then that most likely is a warped rotor. If you are getting a shaking in the steering wheel when you are at about 60-70 mph, regardless if you are applying the brakes or not, then that is an alignment issue, not brakes.
Thanks Chris, unfortunately there are no Precision Tunes located near me. Can a place like Napa or Pep Boys do this as well?

I've replaced so much of the front suspension it's not even funny, yet even after all that I still get some looseness over bumps, especially when going slower and while the car is cold. At this point, the only things left that could be the cause are control arms or front sway bar bushings.

My issue with braking is entirely separate though. It's directly related to how hard I push down on the brake pedal, so I'm positive either one or both of my front rotors is shot.

I also occasionally get vibrations at highway speed, which is odd. For example, when driving on an hour long trip it could be smooth as can be for 99% of the time and then start to vibrate for a few minutes. I'm thinking this is related to my issue with the "looseness"

And in addition to these two issues I now have a power steering issue. Hopefully that one can be solved by adding fluid

Old 06-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,838 Likes on 3,156 Posts

Evan, Pepboys may do a free brake inspection. Napa I would be very surprised if they did anything but try to sell you parts. I would say to stay away from one of the quick lube places as they are going to just look at pad thickness and call it good. You want a place that is going to kinda specialize in brakes to give you a good quote. Anyone can tell you that you need new rotors, pads, and calipers. Duh, replacing all those will ensure to fix a braking issue. But, in your case, it may be nothing more than a part or two.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Evan, Pepboys may do a free brake inspection. Napa I would be very surprised if they did anything but try to sell you parts. I would say to stay away from one of the quick lube places as they are going to just look at pad thickness and call it good. You want a place that is going to kinda specialize in brakes to give you a good quote. Anyone can tell you that you need new rotors, pads, and calipers. Duh, replacing all those will ensure to fix a braking issue. But, in your case, it may be nothing more than a part or two.
Pep Boys wants $15 unless I take them off the car. Napa will only do it if they're off the car.

I'm going in to Cole Muffler/Mavis Tire next week to have my PS pump replaced so I'll just see if they can do it. Otherwise I'll set something up with Pep Boys

I was reading Brakemotive's warranty and it looks like you only get a 4 month warranty against warping, but a 1 year warranty against cracking/manufacturer's defect. So now I'm hoping that the problem rotor(s) is/are cracked