X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Budget brakes!

redid my brakes with four drilled and slotted rotors and four sets or ceramic pads. while under there i had to dissassemble and wire brush , and even sand some parts just to clean up. i then painted the caliper brackets, and most of the calipers them selves. did mostly visible parts, lightly though underneath where rotors spin by.(went light because theres about 2 millimeter space either side of rotor before caliper bracket) fronts were not so bad, newer looking pads but rusty rotors and claiper. rears were blown. pads were gone, rotors looked worse then front, and i found that a prior attempt to compress the rotors slightly damaged the grooves. the rear calipers have pistons that must be rotated a certain direction while compressing them. in a half *** attempt to do so, someone else managed to mis-shape the grooves slightly, however i was able to complete the job, and compress them all the way, and even line them up to slide right over the bump on the new pads when installing. i rented the tool and it took all of five seconds to compress each one.

they work great, and look good too, all for under $200
4 sets of pads and four drilled and slotted rotors were $189 on ebay free s/h more (sets availabe search for brakemotive76 )
caliper paint was 8 bucks

-stevis05

Attached Thumbnails Budget brakes!-fzr-066.jpg   Budget brakes!-fzr-061.jpg   Budget brakes!-fzr-062.jpg  
Old 03-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doing the same to my x-type now... just fitted drilled and grooved to front, new mintex pads and cleaned, anti-rusted, painted and lacquered calipers- look very very nice. Hope you sprayed the discs with a solvent prior to fitting, otherwise they'll stink and cntaminate your pads with the oil preserver they're soaked in.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

yup, smoked a whole can of brake cleaner between the calipers, brackets and new rotors. the pic makes the rotor look greasy, but its because i changed the pads and rotors on the fronts, and refitted everything without new paint friday night then drove like 20 m. sat morning i got the paint and took the fronts back apart to repaint, thats why theres lines on the rotor. around the lugs is synthetic green grease, cause i had to kick the wheels of the car. post a pic of the finished product if you can. regards -stevis05

Old 03-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Nice. Looks good man. I did this a few years ago and it was one of my favorite mods. Just be ready to touch up those calipers every year, even with the proper caliper paint the heat of the rotors will still cause a little to flake or wear. The rough casting of the calipers and brackets just hold dirt too. I attempted to grind mine smooth(er), but lost my patience and ended up just knocking off the rougher areas.

If you want to go super-**** take a can of black paint to all that suspension. Once you've knocked off the rust and cleaned it up of course.

I'll usually take a little copper anti-seize around the hub to keep the wheels from sticking. Hit the hub flange with a wire brush first. Not a problem with my aluminum hub spacers for my Voxx 17's, but definitely helps get the OEM winter wheels off. Permatex synthetic brake grease, which I am assuming you refer to by the "green grease", probably would work fine too.

Now buddy you just need some rims with some nice big gaps to show those brakes off.....

Attached Thumbnails Budget brakes!-chrisx_rsz_chrisx_im000171.jpg  
Old 03-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My ebay brakes have been perfect so far, got brakes and rotors for just under $200 and then added Bing cashback when it was 20%, so it came to around $155. Had a local indie shop do them for $45/hr, took 1 hour and saved hundreds