X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes grinding??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes grinding??

Hey everyone. We JUST bought our 03 x-type a couple of weeks ago from a very reputable dealership in my city. The have a multi multi point inspection that they give each car before they put it on the lot, as it should be. Part of that inspection includes the braking system. Tonight, just minutes before I got home, I had to slam on my brakes because the light turned yellow and I did not have enough time to drive through, so I had to stop.
As I slammed, from about 35 or 40 mph down to zero, My brakes made a terrible grinding sound and I could definitely feel it in my foot that was pressed on the brake pedal. I have never heard or felt this before when stopping regularly, as the brakes seem to be quite sensitive, and are normally very quiet. It was just when I had to slam on them, that the noise, and vibrations in my foot happened.
As I drove home the rest of the way, normally stopping, everything sounded fine and felt fine. I sped up and slammed once more, simply to test it again. Sure enough the brakes did the same thing.

ANY insight?? Is this normal when slowing quickly from a fast speed? It is more than just me in the car and I need everyone to be safe.

Thank you everyone who takes time to advise on this matter!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums. Please take the time to introduce yourself in the new members section and setup your signature with your car details.

As for your brakes, it is probably the anti-lock brakes kicking in.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Plums. I introduced myself a few weeks ago, glad to be here.

So the anti-lock brake system huh? It sounds pretty rigid. Im not saying thats not it, but do you have any other information on this matter? Or suggestions? Anything would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 AM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by quartzjag927
Thanks Plums. I introduced myself a few weeks ago, glad to be here.

So the anti-lock brake system huh? It sounds pretty rigid. Im not saying thats not it, but do you have any other information on this matter? Or suggestions? Anything would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch.
Sounds pretty rigid because what you described is textbook for ABS operation.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

It does sound like the ABS system, which can be nerve-wracking if you haven't experienced it before. The only other thing I can think of, is that your brake pads, particularly the front, could be very worn. If you are concerned, pull a (front first)wheel off, and have a look at the pads. There should be at least an eigth of an inch of 'meat' still on them (if they are down to even that, replace them). if they are very worn, they can cause shuddering as they 'wobble' in the frame under extreme duress such as emergency braking. If they are worn, the rotors need to be checked for compliance as well.