X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bright/High Beam Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bright/High Beam Headlights

2002 jaguar x tyoe 2.5 . Good day guys was wondering if someone can offer me some info. why my "high" beam lights won't come on. both sides are not coming on. i checked the bulbs and they are working. can someone direct me to the fuse responsible for high beam lights . or any idea why it may not be coming on. thanks much for any assistance

Old 01-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

satwarez, silly question, is your fog lights working? If yes, then your fuse for the high beams is good. Next, having your headlight switch in either the running light position or the low beam position, turn on the fog lights. Now, attempt to turn on the high beams. Do the fog lights go out? If yes, then you know the wiring inside of the dash is good and all the wiring up to the relay is good. This would then leave either a bad relay or the wiring between the lights and the relay as being bad. Granted, there is a chance that you have blown both high beam fuses (Fuses #85 and #86 in the engine compartment fuse box). Check those fuses. If in doubt, use a multimeter and check that you have 12 VDC (with the high beams turned on) on both posts on top of the fuse (ie, red lead on the little metal post on top of the fuse and the black lead to any bare metal part of the car). Repeat for the other fuse. If you get 0 VDC on all 4 posts, then you have a bad relay (relay R15), if you have 12 VDC on 1 side of the fuse, but not on the other, bad fuse, replace fuses. If you have 12 VDC on both sides of the fuses, then you most likely have bad connectors on the high beams and they need to be replaced. Repeat the voltage measurements on the high beam plug to verify voltage is present (if you have voltage, bad plug, no voltage, wiring issue between fuse box and high beams.

If the problem is under the dash, let me know and I will step you through troubleshooting that.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

@ Thermo thanks for all the advice and instructions. I copied a diagram of the power fuse box located under the hood as well as the central fuse box located inside the vehichle underneath the steering wheel. i check all the relays under the hood and they were all good. therefore i checked all the mini fuse on the central fuse box located inside the vehichle, and quess what i have discovered?

Fuse number f67 mini tan 5 was blown. Therefore i replaced it with a spare one. It was at this point did i discovered that f67 was responsible for HID/Dip relay(high beams) and automatic transmission control module (TCM) .Not only did the high beam worked but the nagging"gearbox fault/cruise not available also came off.Wow thank you Jesus! I had this problem for months. Had it to every mechanic shop here in the Bahamas. they said they did a total check of the electrical systems and fuses (lol).They concluded that the TCM was bad. therfore i bought a new one, but problem still persist. After about 4 months at the shop i decided to remove the vehichle to my residence and try to diagnoise it my self. my first task was to figure out why the high beams were not coming on, and as a result of fixing that problem , i also fixed the the gearbox/cruise not avail.

Best Jag. Forum Ever.

2002 jag. x-type 2.5
2003 jag. x-type 2.5