X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burning rubber smell after driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning rubber smell after driving

I just bought a 2002 x type jag and its had a small oil leak but we were told they over filled the oil cause it still says over full on the oil stick days after its been lightly leaking but now I noticed a burning rubber smell after I drive it. I know nothing of cars as you may be able to tell and after spending all that money on the car I can't really afford at the moment to take it into the shop so any advise on what it might be would help a lot.bit have a some what mechanically included guy willing to help if I can figure out what it is. Thanks in advance for any help its much appreciated:-)

Old 08-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If the car is leaking oil and you smell something burning, I would say its the oil dripping on the exhaust. Burning oil and burning rubber smell a lot a like. After all, rubber is made from oil...

Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

chrystal, first off, welcome to the Forums. I think you will find lots of good information here. But, we do ask a simple thing of you. Please stop by the New Member section and introduce yourself. We take pride in being a different type of car group and we like to get to know one another. So, stop by and say a few things about yourself and why you got your Jag. This will give you a chance to meet other members of the group and those that make this place what it is.

As for your problem. Odds are, it is just the oil dripping down on to the exhaust header and burning off. But I want you to do one other check for me. Take the car out for a drive and then park it. Immediately get out and place the back side of your hand on the center of the rim. Ideally, your front tires should be warm, but not the "ouch why did that hurt" hot. The rear tires should be warm (no where near as hot as the front tires). If you find that your rear tires are as hot, if not hotter than the fronts, I know what your problem is. Let me know and I will step you through what needs to be done.

I love your part of the world. Used to go camping down in Beverly Beach (just north of Newport). Had lots of good times down there, drinking wine on the beach as I watched the sun set.