X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin Air Flow Issues (actuators are functional)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin Air Flow Issues (actuators are functional)

Hi All,

Just picked up this car last week and I'm working through some issues to get it back in working condition. With that being said, I've spent some time scouring the forums to get some additional insight into the problem I'm having, to no avail.

Currently, the A/C and heat seem to be functional, however there isn't any air coming from the main vents. No matter which position I set the air flow to, it stays on defrost but never to the main vents. The floor vents seem to be functional as well.

I checked the three actuators behind the glove box and all are moving freely. I also noticed some "mouse damage" in the engine compartment where they've chewed some of the firewall insulation. I figured it may be possible they had chewed through the cabin air filter and potentially built a nest clogging the vents. The air filter looked untouched.

Has anyone encountered this issue or have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 AM

2004 X-Type 3.0

Old 04-29-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Duck: Try this: Remove the stepper motors and see if you can redirect the air flow by manually turning the air dampers, e.g., from windshield, to face, to feet. If you can manually direct the air flow, then the problem is likely: (a) a stripped gear in a stepper motor, or (b) slippage between a stepper motor and the end of the air damper shaft.

When you manually turn the air damper shafts, be careful not to push on them. They can fall into the air handler box, and it's not easy getting them back into position (don't ask how I know).

There are several posts in this forum on replacing stepper motors with stripped gears, and using a drop of crazy glue to stop slippage between the stepper motor and the end shaft of the air damper. Let us know what you discover and we'll help you from there.

The following 2 users liked this post by dwclapp:
duck (05-09-2015), JagFin (09-01-2016)
Old 04-29-2015, 12:42 PM

Thanks dwclapp. When you say remove the stepper motor, are you referring to the blend door actuators? Just want to make sure I'm troubleshooting the right part. I've attached a picture to be sure.

Thanks again!!

Old 04-29-2015, 02:00 PM

Yes, they go by different names: actuators, stepper motors, and servo motors. Also air dampers, air flaps, and blend doors.

#1) The air inlet blend door either recycles cabin air or introduces fresh outside air.
#3) The defrost vent blend door directs air either to the windshield or face vents.
#4) The temperature blend door directs air either thru the heater core (when the temperature control is set to "HI") or bypassed the heater core (when set to "LOW").
#5) The footwell blend door directs air either to your feet or face vents.

First, remove the glove box to better see these actuators thru the glove box opening. Next, remove the #3 Defrost actuator from the air box, but leave the electrical wires connected to the actuator. Then, with the blower on:
(a) Manually rotate the end shaft of the defrost blend door. Hopefully you'll feel air flow changing between the defrost vents and face vents as you rotate the blend door. Take care not to push the end of the shaft into the air box.
(b) Change the passenger cabin controls to direct air at the windshield, then at the face, and back at the windshield, while holding and observing the #3 Defrost actuator. You may discover that the actuator motor runs, but stripped gears prevent it from turning the blend door. Used replacement actuators are available on eBay.

The following users liked this post:
duck (05-09-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 02:06 PM

Awesome, thank you again for the clarification and instruction. I'll take and look a post back. At least we have all variations of the term in one thread for future searches!

Last edited by duck; 04-29-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:36 PM

So here's what we have. "B" the actuator shaft seems to be spinning. When I attempted to rotate "A" manually, it was extremely loose (almost lost it like you mentioned). At this point, I'm not sure how to manually rotate it without it getting pushed back. The actuator shaft doesn't appear to be stripped, but then again, you may be referring to the gears at the base of it.

Thanks again dw

Old 04-29-2015, 08:19 PM

Box B has internal gears that connect the motor to the protruding shaft. If the motor reliably turns the protruding shaft, then the internal gears seem to be intact.

Can you carefully insert an Allen / Hex wrench into shaft A and rotate it? It does not turn 360 degrees; only ~90 degrees stop to stop.

Also, take a look at this thread in which another member discovered slippage between the actuator shaft and the blend door shaft, and used a drop of crazy glue to fix it:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...system-117663/

Last edited by dwclapp; 04-30-2015 at 03:32 PM.
duck (05-09-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 03:50 PM

Well, it happened. The piece fell into the air box. Is there any specific method to retrieving it or should I start dismantling the dash now?

Old 05-02-2015, 09:06 AM

Ooops. Well, it happens.

To reposition the air damper, you'll need to open the bottom of the air handler box.

To access the air box, remove the carpeted trim from the side of the center console. It's the vertical carpet on the side of the J-gate shifter. It's secured with a single Philips screw near the thigh support of the front seats. Move the front seat back, remove the Philips screw, then remove the carpeted trim. Now you can see the bottom of the air handler box.

To remove the bottom of the box, see page 1954+ of the workshop manual, particularly page 1972+. You can download a pdf copy from the bottom of the How To / Quick Links page:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essories-5915/

Space is tight, but it's doable.

duck (05-09-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 09:12 AM
opa
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duck,

Also check the inside of the actuator itself. I had troubles too, everything seemed ok at first glance and it took a while to find out that the gears inside the actuator were missing ONE tooth, which made it hit-and-miss if it worked or not (worked when I took the actuator off and tried, but not when it was assembled).
Just take the cover off (4 little clips) and see if there is a tooth missing.

Opa

duck (05-09-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 12:38 PM

Thanks Opa and dwclapp. Sorry for the absence, the car was unavailable for about a week. I finally opened the air handler box and found the culprit (I believe). Like I mentioned earlier, the piece fell into the box and I was able to pull it out. It's certainly broken, which I imagine was causing the vent flap to not engage.

I've attached a picture of the broken piece that receives the actuator shaft. Although I've recovered the part, I'm not sure what I should replace at this point. Would a new actuator come with this piece or should I be looking at an entire air handler box? I can't seem to find the specific part in the workshop manual.

I really appreciate all the insight so far, its been immensely helpful!!!

Old 05-09-2015, 01:32 PM

duck: Can you reach into the air box and pull out the rest of the broken air damper? It's a flat panel with two pivot shafts: (1) an intact shaft on the driver's side, and (2) a now broken shaft on the glove box / actuator side.

You can attempt to repair it, e.g., with epoxy. But it could fail again for the same reason it broke the first time.

For a replacement part, send a PM to dr dome - he parts out X-Types.

Or ask an auto recycler.

Here's an eBay'er selling the entire air handler, but he wants $139.
Jaguar x Type 02 08 AC Heat Heater Core Assembly P N XW4H 19B555 AR | eBay

Instead, I'd ask other eBay'ers who sell the actuators if they'd sell you an air damper:
2002 2008 Jaguar x Type AC Heater Box Vent Flap Regulator Actuator | eBay

02 03 04 05 06 07 Jaguar x Type Heater Regulator Motor Actuator 1S7H 19E616 AA | eBay

2002 2005 Jaguar x Type Dashboard Dash Center Console AC A C Heater Air Vent | eBay

Our try any eBay'er parting out X-Type heater parts:
02 03 04 05 06 07 08 Jaguar x Type 3 0L 6CYL Heater Core Element 8051 | eBay

Send a picture of your broken air damper with measurements so you get the right replacement part.

duck (05-09-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 02:16 PM

dwclapp, thanks again! I'm almost inclined to buy the whole air handler. I looked up into the air handler and it looks impossible to remove the flap and probably more challenging to replace it. Have you successfully removed or re-positioned it in the past?

Old 05-09-2015, 03:52 PM

I repositioned one air damper that was simply dislodged from the pivot hole on the actuator side, not broken like yours. If you can repair the broken damper or better yet, buy another from dr dome or other auto recycler, that's a simpler solution.

Replacing the entire air handler box requires disconnecting the A/C refrigerant lines and heater core hoses, plus disassembling portions of the dash, then recharging the A/C and coolant systems after you reassemble everything. It's your choice, but that's considerably more effort and cost than replacing a broken air damper in the air handle box, IMHO.

duck (05-09-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 04:10 PM

Okay. Understood! I don't think the flap will come out of the bottom of the air handler box. I think I would need to dremel some plastic pieces out, but even that doesn't seem like a sure fire solution.

I certainly don't want to deal with the refrigerant lines etc. If I could access it from the top, somehow, it would be a pretty easy fix.

I did come across this thread where he encountered the same issue. No solution, however. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-door-111458/

Thanks dwclapp for all the help! If I figure it out, I'll be sure to post back.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:56 AM

Just wanted to add an update. I spoke with the service rep at the local dealership about what's involved in replacing the flap. He said the whole dash would need to come out. He said the refrigerant wouldn't need to be drained, so that's a positive.

I asked if he suggested replacing the whole air handler or just the flap and he said it depends if the hinge on the air handler is in tact. I'm not too sure where this hinge would be located to inspect it, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. I certainly broke a number of plastic clips when removing the bottom portion of the housing. I wouldn't think this would comprise the integrity of the box, but what do I know?

Old 05-12-2015, 01:28 PM

duck: Just a thought..... If the service rep gives you a wallet crushing repair estimate, consider buying a used air handler on eBay to:
1) obtain the replacement air damper and clips you need, and
2) more importantly, to study the inner workings, and see if you can install the replacement air damper without removing the dash.

When finished, considering reselling unused parts on eBay to lessen your cost, e.g., the actuators.

Here's one example of an eBay air handler for sale:
Jaguar x Type 02 08 AC Heat Heater Core Assembly P N XW4H 19B555 AR | eBay

Again, just a thought.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:42 PM

dwclapp: Yeah, the rep said it would exceed $1000. You've got a great idea though. I will take a look around some more and go for it. I think that ebay seller mislabeled the item, I'm thinking that's for an S-Type. It looks much different than what I have.

I did also just buy a window regulator from a local place a last week. I'll see what they have too.

Thanks for the idea!

Old 04-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

DWClapp I would like to ask if you could describe how you repositioned the control door inside the air handler that switches air flow from face vent to defrost vents. I am afraid my door now is stuck in the position that diverts air only to the defrost/demister vents. No amount of cycling the buttons on climate controls will make flow go to face vents anymore. When I last was troubleshooting I did determine that the shaft that accepts the actuator for defrost/vent was spinning freely 360 degrees. The actuator motor functions but shaft spins freely. I had intermittent air flow to face vents but now I am getting zero flow there and 100% to defrost. With hot weather just around the corner I need to get this sorted. At this point if I could rig it so that air was diverted to vents I would be satisfied with that. Thanks

Quick Reply: Cabin Air Flow Issues (actuators are functional)